Never pay for any CBT, test or assessment as part of any recruitment process. When in doubt, contact us
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an international medical organization, founded in 2009. ALIMA’s aim is to provide a high standard of healthcare in situations of emergency or medical disaster and to improve the practice of humanitarian medicine by developing innovative projects associated with medical research. The specific fe...
Location: Owo, Ondo
Employment Type: Contract
Desired start date: As soon as possible
- Direct Line Manager: Project Coordinator
- Technical Referent: Research team leaders, VHF laboratory head, the laboratory scientists
- Collaborate with the medical team, the research team, the logistic team to run the lab properly.
Protection of Beneficiaries and Community Members:
- As part of his or her duties, the incumbent will be required to visit the programs and be in contact with children and / and vulnerable adults. Therefore, the criminal record check or the presentation of a certificate of good moral character will be necessary. In situations where it is impossible to provide a criminal record or a certificate of good moral character, a declaration of honor will be requested.
Mission and Main Activities
Manage the VHF laboratory team:
- In coordination with the VHF lab head, the chosen candidate will supervise a team composed of laboratory scientists and technicians (6 persons or more) to organize the work, rosters, quality of work and be in charge of any necessary trainings.
- Ensure that the laboratory is operational 7 days a week during the peak season (to be adapted during the inter-epidemic period).
Routine activities of VHF lab (Hematology, Biochemistry, Serology and cross-matching analysis):
- Be in charge of supervising standard biological analysis performed in the VHF lab and that all results are accurate, reliable and communicated to the medical team on time.
- Ensure that good laboratory practices are applied and that bio-safety rules are respected.
- Ensure the maintenance of the different analyzers, according to the manufacturer recommendations.
- Collaborate with research teams so that blood test results are included in the different research projects.
- Collaborate with the logistic team regarding any new improvement for the laboratory (new equipment, power supply, …) and to make sure that all the lab items (PPE, reagents …) are ordered on time so that no shortage occurs.
- Collaborate and coordinate with the different research teams and medical teams to ensure that samples are received by the laboratory and stored accordingly to the different research or medical needs.
Lassa RT-qPCR activity at FMC Owo:
- To supervise the daily PCR runs and to ensure the quality of the results obtained.
- Make sure that no shortage arises in the PCR reagents.
- Ensure that PCR results are communicated as soon as possible to the Lassa ward.
- Be in charge, the VHF lab head, of the Lassa biobank and of its cold chain monitoring to ensure the safety and integrity of the samples.
- Be in charge of conducting administrative formalities towards competent regulatory bodies regarding biobank registration and material transfer agreements (MTA).
Laboratory-related research activities:
- Ensure the research protocols are enforced regarding laboratory activities
- Ensure Good Laboratory Practices are enforced
- Communicate and collaborate with partner research organizations regarding the laboratory and the biobank
- Report on laboratory activities at research coordination meetings
Other activities outside the VHF lab:
- Participate in the organization and conduct of activities directed to FMC Owo general laboratory’s staff, in collaboration with the project coordinator (PC). This could include, among other topics, training to standard biosafety rules, good laboratory practices.
Experience and Skills
- At least a Master' s Degree in Molecular Biology with qualification in Microbiology (Virology, Bacteriology, Parasitology or Mycology). Alternatively, several years of experience working in high containment laboratories (BSL-3 or BSL-4).
- Strong knowledge of PCR and PCR-related techniques and blood processing is necessary.
- Working experiences in Ebola or Lassa Fever outbreak or other viral hemorrhagic fevers will be appreciated.
- Desirable working experience with International medical NGOs in developing countries.
- English Speaking, reading and writing, mandatory. French would be an asset.
- Contract under French law, 6 months.
Depending on experience.
ALIMA Pays For:
- Travel costs between the expatriate’s country of origin and the mission location
- Accommodation costs
- Medical cover from the first day of the contract to a month after the date of departure from the mission country for the employee
- Evacuation of the employee.