If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband.
Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Senior Administrative Assistant
Vacancy Notice No: 2018/VA/047
Position number: N/A
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Duration of Contract: Three months (with possible renewal)
Duty Stations: Ikom
Supervisor: Administrative/Finance Officer
Proposed Starting: As soon as possible
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the direct supervision of the Head Of field Office, the incumbent will have the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in interpreting and processing of entitlements, issuance of contracts and maintenance of various personnel records and files;
- Attend meetings on day-to-day admin matters; administer the movement of UNHCR staff members and monitor their attendance records, leave plans, overtime and visa requirements.
- Search office files and records relating to a variety of topics for information and reference. Select information and records in specified format or on the basis of general instructions for use by others in preparing reports, correspondence, technical papers, project or programme plans and general reference documents;
- Assist in requisition of office supplies, equipment and arrange for distribution together with the appropriate inventory records;
- Assist in administrative formalities related to travel arrangements and issuance/ renewal of visas, licences, travel arrangements and other similar documents;
- Draft correspondence and reports, as required, on general administrative or specialized tasks which may be of a confidential nature within the assigned area of responsibility; Type correspondence, documents and reports, some of which may be highly confidential;
- Arrange appointments and maintain supervisor's calendar, receive visitors, place and screen telephone calls and answer queries with discretion; Keep lists of names, addresses and telephone numbers of ministers, government officials and members of the diplomatic corps;
- Assist the management to organise and run UNHCR Office and Residential (wherever applicable) compounds;
- Facilitate various official missions of UNHCR staff and other persons of concern to UNHCR;
- Prepare attestations and certificates required by the staff members for signature of senior officer;
- Assist in processing MIP and various other claims by UNHCR staff and other clients of UNHCR ;
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of the office and/or Supervisor in order to meet the level of the services in the organization.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent technical or commercial school with certificate/training in Business Administration, Finance, Office Management, Human Resources or other related field.
- Minimum 5 years of job experience relevant to the function;
- Computer skills (MS office and People Soft applications).
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language (as applicable in the duty station).
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Knowledge in UNHCR Admin and financial rules, procedures and processes;
- Knowledge and working experience of MSRP (Peoplesoft);
- Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
Method of Application
Interested candidates should submit their application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UN Personal History Form (P11) which can be downloaded from www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc and send via email ONLY to email@example.com quoting in the subject line the above vacancy notice number and title of the position.
Kindly note that a written test may be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency based interview.
THERE IS NO NEED TO SEND OTHER CERTIFICATES WITH THE APPLICATION AT THIS STAGE.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.