If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home
Location: Gwoza, Borno
Scope of Work
- The Health Nurse-Midwife is responsible for supportive Supervision and patient care at health facilities.
- The Nurse reports to the team leader or Health Manager.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Conduct skills assessments of PHC staff in nursing care and Midwifery.
- Support RH activities at each facility on rational basis.
- Prepare and implement training plan, including on the Job coaching and competency based trainings
- Assist the PHC staff in RH activities at the facilities ensuring skills transfer is taking place in Basic Emergency obstetric care, family planning, STI Counseling and treatment, ANC, PNC and post abortion care.
- Support the community mobilizer in messages targeting all pillars of safe motherhood.
- Collect weekly activity reports from the facility midwife, review, discuss and update action plans for the following week.
- Ensure RH protocols and other IEC materials are well displayed in the facilities and outreach sites.
- Support an effective referral mechanism between the facilities/mobile clinics and the hospital.
Human Resource Management:
- Supervise and monitor PHC midwifery staff.
- Build staff capacity through on Job coaching, skill training and supportive supervision.
- Jointly with the team, provide ongoing education for clinic staff and CVs.
- Maintain an updated record and compile and submit monthly reports of all services given.
- Monitor and ensure the proper usage of health and program supplies.
- Prepare weekly work plans and ensure timely implementation of the project activities.
- Support health clinical Officer in compiling statistical reports from the facilities for submission weekly, monthly and annually.
- Ensure adequate flow of information for all supervisees with constant feedback as may be required.
- Carry out other relevant or requested duties as may be required.
Key Result Areas:
- Improvement of key health indicators mainly maternal mortality ratio, neonatal mortality ratio, and community population coverage.
- Increased uptake of health services as a strategy of reducing mortality
- Increased uptake of positive practices related to health, nutrition and hygiene.
- Timely and quality health care services to displaced persons, refugees and other vulnerable groups.
- Community volunteers actively participate in health services within their community.
- Registered Nurse/midwife
- A mature person of high professional discipline and moral integrity, able to work under stress as the situation may dictate.
- Must possess the practicing license or qualifying certificate.
- Certificate in child health or nutrition is an added advantage.
- Two to three years’ experience in midwifery.
- Proven experience in community based programming with the ability to motivate and lead community volunteers.
- Proven ability to coach and train health workers.
- Ability to work with displaced communities with diverse cultural and ethnic backgrounds.
- Experience in working in a team.
- Flexible to travel and work in different locations.
- Ability to speak local languages will be added advantage.
- Proficiency in computer skills, especially in MS Word and Excel is an added advantage.
- The position will work in the Gwoza Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. This is security level 3 – orange
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Applications addressed to the "Senior Human Resource Manager" via Email: IRCNigeria.Recruitment@rescue.org Subject of the application should read: Health Supervisor, Gwoza. All hand delivery applications should be submitted in Gwoza base office.
Note: IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.