Plan International Nigeria is part of the global federation of Plan International. Plan International works in 52 developing countries including Nigeria across Africa, Asia and the Americans, Plan’s Global Strategic Goal (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s rights and Equality for Girls and our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized through the delivery of high-quality Programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
Community Nutrition Mobilization Officer
Department & Location
Programme and Based in Maiduguri, Borno State
Reports to General supervision by Project Manager and Technical line to Nutrition
Purpose: Plan International Nigeria is seeking to implement Cash Based Transfer (CBT) + Integrated Nutrition Programme (INP) project funded by World
Food Programme (WFP). This position is responsible for Integrated Nutrition Programme activities in close collaboration with Cash and Nutrition team implementing the CBT + INP project funded by WFP. The post holder will support the implementation of the community mobilization
and nutrition activities in the community in accordance with Plan International’s nutrition activities in Emergencies response in North East Nigeria.
5 Months and renewable based on availability of funding and satisfactory performance.
Dimensions of Role
Communicates with the project manager with Plan International and with WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies. The post holder will support the establishment of an integrated nutrition
programme sectoral system. The post holder will interface and support programme team members and programme coordination. The role requires strong facilitation and
organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
Programme development & Quality Management
In collaboration with the Field Team and Nutrition Specialist, the Community Nutrition
Mobilization Officer (CNMO) will:
- Support the design and development of nutrition component implementation plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, and all nutrition
- demonstration and community mobilization activities
- Plan and organize CSB++ distribution at designated OTP sites in liaison with UNICEF trained SMoH staff.
- Work closely with Community Nutrition Mobilization Supervisors (CNMSs) and Female Community Nutrition Mobilizer (FCNMs) to ensure all aspects of the program
- are understood and agreed and appropriate referrals take place to and from the community to health facility sites.
- Work closely with UNICEF and other partners implementing CBT+INP for proper referral and monitoring of beneficiaries at facility level
- Take lead on the Integrated Nutrition Programme services at designated intervention facilities.
- Work closely with the teams to ensure all criteria are respected and understood by the teams, including registration and enrolment of Children ages 6-23 months; 24-59
- months and PLWs for BSFP and cash for nutrition respectively.
- Ensure correctness, consistence and completeness of the information in the nutrition registers.
- Ensure adequate availability of CSB++ supplies and ensure stock is pre-positioned as planned by discussing with logistics
- Through liaison with the CNMSs provide effective follow up of all cases: particularly tracing of children and PLW who are absent from the program, sick children, long
- stay children, children not gaining weight, and children with social problems... etc.
- Provide key nutrition education messages to beneficiaries based on the protocol and guidelines
- Respond to inquiries regarding the technical aspects of the project and related intervention procedure
- Follow-up and ensure the field team interacts with the beneficiaries properly
- Facilitate capacity-building and demonstration activities with project staff and Cooperating Partner Agencies /WFP.
Human Resource Development
- Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of field
- level and community based staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with organisational requirements
- Learning and knowledge management
- Shares information within the project team, across Plan International and with WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies about operational research and assessment findings
- and lessons learnt in a logical and regular manner.
- Shares information within the programme team about INP+ and CSB++ distribution approaches and benefits to the beneficiaries and supports the documentation of
- lessons learnt and good practices.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing with WFP and among WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies in the communities and supports such
- processes within Plan International Nigeria office.
- Participates in sectoral networks within the LGA of operation or as requested by the line Manager.
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
- Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the project manager or Sector Specialist for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant information for project reports and proposals for Plan International domestic and international consumption as directed by his/her
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s project/ programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the project/ programme units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Qualifications and Experience
University degree or equivalent in Social Science, Social Work, Physiology, Nutrition, Public Health, or related fields –
- Minimum of 1-year post NYSC work experience with internally displaces (IDPs) and other vulnerable populations in conflict affected communities – Advantage.
- Experience in Community Based management of acute malnutrition and infant and young child feeding - Required
- Strong experience providing counselling services that are gender-sensitive and child
- friendly - Required.
- Experience working with malnutrition prevention including CMAM and response programming in an emergency setting – Advantage.
- Competence with the use of MS application packages (Word, Excel and database software) and report writing – Preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, email and utilization of the internet
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver PLAN’s strategic objectives.
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations
- Facilitate the development and scheduling of volunteer outreach activities
- Excellent community mobilization skills
- Work closely with partners and their staff to ensure project activities are implemented in time and within the stipulated quality.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and Local Language of project sites
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands
Based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with travel to the communities to ensure that project is effectively monitored
Level of Contact with Children:
High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have medium
to low contact with women and children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all
Method of Application
Application: To view the Job Description, open the link per position, submit a CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: Nigeria.Recruitment@plan-international.org Indicate the job title and location as subject if the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan
International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are encouraged to apply.