If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Plan International Nigeria is part of the global federation of Plan International. Plan International works in 52 developing countries including Nigeria across Africa, Asia and the Americans, Plan’s Global Strategic Goal (2017-2022) is to advance Children’s rights and Equality for Girls and our Ambition is, “together, we take action so that 100 million girls learn, lead, decide and thrive”. We reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized through the delivery of high-quality Programmes that deliver long-lasting benefits to children and their communities.
Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Programme and Based in Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to M&E Manager with General supervision by Project Manager
Purpose: Plan International Nigeria is seeking to implement Cash Based Transfer (CBT) + Integrated Nutrition Programme (INP) project funded by World Food Programme (WFP). The purpose of this role is to co-ordinate Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) for planned WFP CBT + INP activities of the Maiduguri field office - Plan International Nigeria’s Emergency response programmes in the Northeast of Nigeria in line with International best practices and relevant guidelines.
5 Months and renewable based on availability of funding and satisfactory
Dimensions of Role
- Communicates with the M&E Manager and across Plan International and with WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies. The post holder will support the establishment of a systematic Monitoring and Evaluation system.
- The post holder will interface and support programme team members and programme coordination.
- The role requires strong facilitation and organisational skills along with the ability to analyse and communicate complex information to all staff, partners and other stakeholders.
Key End Results and typical Responsibilities
- Programme development & Quality Management
- In collaboration with the Field Team, M&E Manager and sector Specialists (CBT and INP), the M&E officer will:
- Support the development and implementation of program M&E plans to capture project performance and results, including data reporting, assessments, and all monitoring and evaluation activities
- Support the development and data flow pattern for program that will ensure timely data collection and reporting
- Support to ensure that M&E-specific elements of local partner capacity strengthening plans are successfully implemented
- Report results of M&E activities by providing written documentation about progress toward achieving indicators/targets, as appropriate
- Provide leadership at project location level on M&E to ensure the program technical integrity to achieve program goal and corresponding objectives and targets
- Ensure high-quality implementation, in close collaboration with the Field based team, sector Specialists and the M&E Manager, and consistency in protocols, information and reporting systems
- Lead efforts at project location to monitor and evaluate project interventions, document results and provide feedback to stakeholders to guide decision-making
- Lead efforts to utilize training monitoring systems to track and monitor trainers and participants at training events to facilitate follow-up and recordkeeping
- Utilize the training data collected to inform strategic decision-making and project planning
- Support targeted evaluations and operations research, including design, data collection, management and analysis
- Ensure quality of data through data verification procedures, including routine data quality audits
- Cultivate strategic M&E relationships and alliances, and represent M&E activities in public and professional circles through meetings, conferences, and presentations
- Support to ensure relevant data is entered into organization-wide data management system designed to capture, analyse, and disseminate project data
- Support the dissemination of project information among the project team
- Facilitate M&E capacity-building activities with project staff and implementing partners
Human Resource Development
Supports the orientation, on-going development/training and builds capacity of field level and community based staff to ensure a high level of expertise in line with
Learning and knowledge management
- Shares information within the project team about M&E findings and lessons learnt in a systematic timely manner.
- More specifically shares information within the project team about pre/post distribution monitoring, findings and lessons learnt in a systematic timely manner.
- Shares information within the programme team about M&E approaches and supports the documentation of lessons learnt, approaches and good practices.
- Facilitates processes for internal and external knowledge sharing with WFP and among WFP Cooperating Partner Agencies in the northeast and supports such
- processes between regions
- Participates in global/regional projects/networks as requested.
Support resource mobilisation efforts of proposal writing and related engagement.
Dealing with Problems
- Ability to manage competing priorities and expectations from internal and external stakeholders and remain calm and resilient in the face of pressure.
- Manage multiple and work with distant colleagues to form a virtual efficient administration team;
- Use Plan procedures to settle conflicts among colleagues;
- Resolve problems that are not covered by established process.
- Analyse possible causes of problems and suggest solutions to get them resolved.
- Refer, whenever necessary, the case to the M&E Manager for consideration.
Communications and Working Relationships:
- Working contacts inside and outside the organization; include the purpose and level (high, medium, low) of the contact
- Prepare and submit relevant information for programme reports and proposals for
- Plan International domestic and international consumption as directed by his/her
- Provide timely responses concerning queries linked with relevant projects or programmes.
- Provide advice and support to Plan International Nigeria’s programme delivery and resource mobilisation.
- Work with other members of the programme the units to ensure effective and efficient programme delivery.
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelors’ degree and minimum of 1- year of work experience in monitoring and evaluating humanitarian emergency response programs, with an organisation with a
- robust M&E component.
- Prior experience with Plan International or local partner organization is preferred.
Skills & Knowledge
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative methodologies, research, reporting, data quality assessments, data analysis and presentation.
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple counterparts in private, public and NGO sectors.
- Strong understanding of M&E, policy and compliance requirements.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including excellent facilitation skills and demonstrated technical writing skills for publication.
- Familiarity with M&E for cash based transfer, nutrition and protection projects
- Ability to work effectively with diverse international teams.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Strong technical skills, including ability to process and analyse data using one or more statistical software packages
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office packages (Excel/Word document)
- Ability to travel nationally
- Creates strong sense of purpose and commitment within own part of the team and with stakeholders
- Holds self and others to account to deliver on agreed goals and standards of behaviour
- Demonstrates a high degree of professionalism/integrity
- Strategic thinking and effective contribution to own work and Organisational development.
- Sound judgement and decision-making in complex situations
- Strong emotional intelligence including self-awareness.
- Leads by example to motivate high performance of others
- Very strong commitment to continuous learning
Physical Environment and Demands
Based in Maiduguri, Borno State, with travel to the communities to ensure that project is effectively monitored
Level of Contact with Children:
High contact- the job responsibilities of this position require the post holder to have medium
to low contact with children. It is expected that children shall be protected at all times.
Method of Application
Application: To view the Job Description, open the link per position, submit a CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reasons for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that you feel you can bring to the role to: Nigeria.Recruitment@plan-international.org Indicate the job title and location as subject if the mail, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Plan International Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer ad does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender or disabilities. Plan
International Nigeria is fully committed to child protection to prevent children from all forms of abuse. Women are encouraged to apply.