Abt Associates - The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions
Consultant/Health Insurance Technical Specialist
Period of performance: February 1st - July 31st 2018
- Consultancy to provide technical support to Sokoto, Bauchi and Kebbi Slate Health Contributory Management Agencies to ensure effective implementation of the State Contributory Health Insurance Schemes.
This USAID funded reproductive, maternal, newborn and child health (RMNCH) project is aimed at mobilizing domestic resources for RMNCH services while ensuring transparency, accountability and impact. The implementation of the SHIS has been identified as a sustainable way of ensuring adequate financing and efficiency in RMNCH service delivery.
The project further recognizes the need for organizational and technical capacity to effectively implement the SHIS in the three states, giving rise to the need for technical expertise in these areas and health insurance operations to facilitate effective take off and institutionalization of processes.
Roles and Responsibilities
- The consultants are expected to contribute to the successful establishment and operations of the Sokoto, Bauchi and Kebbi State Contributory Health Insurance Schemes respectively.
- This will he done by working with the agencies and State Ministries of Health (SMOH) to put in place necessary structures and processes that will guarantee optimal functioning of the health insurance schemes and delivery of services to enrollees.
The following are the specific tasks of the consultant:
- Design/technical review of State Health Insurance Schemes (SHIS) policy documents including SHIS laws, operational guidelines, benefit packages
- Design of technical processes and tools required for SHIS establishment, operations and implementation
- Provide technical assistance in the development of a quality assurance systems for the SHIS and performance management systems for health insurance operations and
- Capacity building for staff, including mentoring on the technical operations of the SHIS:
Skills and Expertise Required
The consultant should possess the following:
- A good First degree or its equivalent from a reputable University in Medicine, Science or Numerate disciplines such as Actuarial Science, Statistics, Insurance etc
- Postgraduate qualification in Management, Public Health, Health Management, Health Economics, Insurance or other related fields
- Certification in and/or professional membership of Health, Management and Health Insurance related bodies shall be an added advantage
- Minimum of 10 years experience in the health insurance space and other related fields
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity building workshops especially for health insurance implementation
- Good understanding of current health financing reform initiatives in Nigeria especially at subnational level
- Experience carrying out similar assignments in Nigeria particularly at the sub-national level and
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Applicants should send their Cover Letter and CV's as a single document to: firstname.lastname@example.org Using the job title as the subject the email.
Method of Application
Use the email(s) below to apply.
- Consultant/Health Insurance Technical Specialist - email@example.com