Employment Category: Intern
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Mubi, Nigeria
The IRC has been present in Nigeria since 2012 when the organization responded to flooding in Kogi state. In February 2014 the IRC moved into Adamawa State in NE Nigeria to provide humanitarian interventions through a multi-sectoral, integrated approach for conflict affected populations. IRC Nigeria now operates a country office in Abuja and field offices in Mubi and Yola of Adamawa State, Maiduguri and Monguno of Borno state and Damatru of Yobe State. Currently, IRC Nigeria implements programs primary health care, nutrition, environmental health, women’s protection and empowerment, protection, child protection, education, food security & livelihoods
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Intern reports to the Finance Office Maiduguri. She/he supports the Finance Assistant/Office in aspects of day to day operations of accounting department in the Maiduguri Field office.
- Assist the finance assistant when making payments to suppliers, contractors and program staff based on approved documents and in line with authority delineation.
- Assist the finance assistant in ensure scrutiny of the entire bill for accuracy and receipt of goods before process for payment.
- Assist the finance officer on documentation, preparation of cash disbursement voucher for all cash transactions related to Maiduguri field office.
- Ensure all transactions are in compliance with IRC accounting policy, Donor restriction and generally accepted accounting principles.
- Maintain confidentiality of all financial and other job related information.
- Assist the finance Assistant on proper documentation, Stamping, Labelling and filing of all financial documents.
- Assist the finance office on compiling support documents for audit purposes and retuning back to their original location of the audit exercise.
- Help finance unit in moving documents in the office system for approval purposes
- With the guidance of the finance Assistant/officer Scan any Finance Document before sending it to the country office for month closing.
- Attend and participate in trainings identified/organized by your supervisor
- Follow any new procedures and guidelines designated in circulars from Country Director
- Report any violations of the IRC Sexual Abuse and Exploitation Code of Conduct (in-country and World-wide) as per the IRC reporting mechanism. The reporting of violations is an obligation on the part of all staff members
- Assist where necessary in undertaking activities that aim to prevent the occurrence of sexual abuse and exploitation of refugees by IRC and other humanitarian workers.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by your supervisor
- Diploma in Accounts or Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from recognized College/Institutions.
- A minimum of one (1) year of accounting experience including NYSC service year. Computer literate with significant knowledge/experience in excel
- Able to work in a high pressure situation,
- Ability to independently organize work, prioritize task and manage time.
- Strong inter-personal skills, and open to learn new skills
- Self-motivated, honest, highly responsible and punctual
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, fluent in written and spoken English.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.
Gender Equality: IRC is committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.