Emergency Team Leader at Solidarites International
Posted on: 10 December, 2019
Deadline: 19 December, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Solidarites International
Solidarites International (SI) is a French humanitarian organization which provides aid and assistance to victims of war or natural disaster. For over 38 years the association has focused on meeting three vital needs - water, food and shelter. Currently present in Nigeria since 2016, SI carries out emergency / post-emergency programs in WASH sector in North East region.
Emergency Team Leader
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Goal / Purpose
- The emergency team leader will coordinate a team of officers, as well as of daily workers and will be in charge of conducting assessments, launching and implementing emergency activities (in case outbreak, new displacements, etc...).
- He/she will also ensure that Solidarites International’s technical recommendations and procedures are followed/respected.
- Depending on the needs, the team leader could have to work outside of Maiduguri for weeks at a time and could implement activities outside of SI’s regular intervention areas.
- The type of activities to set up and supervise will vary according to needs but include conducting rapid Multi-Sector Assessments (MSA) hygiene promotion activities, disinfection activities, distribution of kits, chlorination of water points, water trucking, rehabilitation of borehole or hand pumps or construction of emergency and VIP latrines.
List of Main Tasks
Setting up the activities /control and supervision:
- Plan the weekly activities for his/her team and have them approved by his/her Line manager:
- Plan human resources needs (daily workers, workers...)
- Plan tool and material needs (request from stock)
- Anticipate administrative issues (requests in advance)
- Anticipate logistics issues (transport, communication means...)
- Organize and carry out, with his/her team, tasks assigned by his/her Line manager
- Set up emergency activities with the help of officers of the area of intervention
- Supervise and monitor each stage of the setup activities
- Ensure that standards and instructions given by his/her Line manager, as well as Solidarités procedures, are followed.
- Respect schedules and deadlines agreed upon with his/her Line manager
- Report back any problems and constraints encountered during the course of the activities and suggest operational solutions
- Undertake training of existing staff in rapid response, especially to waterborne disease outbreaks like cholera
- Coordinate with other actors and stakeholders in the field to ensure Solidarites International contributes to and has an overall picture of pre-positioning and emergency response capacity in the area
- Lead assessments in the event of further emergencies
- Ensure that issues of protection, gender, livelihoods, DRR and environmental impact, operation and maintenance and sustainability are factored in to emergency responses
Logistics and Administration:
- When recruiting daily workers, follow procedures and directives outlined by his/her Line manager and the administrative service
- Train his/her team members to use and maintain the available tools correctly
- Track usage with monitoring tools provided
- Enforce safety procedures
- Ensure that safety procedures are followed by members of his/her team
- Monitor the quality and quantity of material delivered to working sites
- Ensure the receipt and storage of material and equipment necessary for his/her work to be carried out on site
- Work closely with the Logistics Team to ensure all materials and support needed for emergency WASH preparedness and response activities is delivered in a timely way.
- Keep track of pre-positioned stock available with the logistics team.
Reporting / Communication:
- Take part in weekly program meetings and external working groups on request
- Keep his/her monitoring tools and files archived in the Solidarités office, accessible to his/her Team Leader and/or line manager
- Draw up and submit a weekly task report (which should include progress made by the team) to his/her line manager
- Take part in the drafting of the monthly program pack
- Establish and maintain good relations with local participants and communities (populations) in the operational fields
- Listen to the populations and local participants in the field and report to his/her line manager any non-technical or safety-related issues which could affect the activities or safety of Solidarités International teams
- Degree in Civil and Water Engineering, Geology, Environmental Science or any related course
- Having good knowledge of carrying out assessments, hygiene promotion and cholera response
- Minimum of 1 year experience working in a wash emergency context for an INGO in northeast Nigeria
- Fluency in English, Hausa or Kanuri
- Proven experience managing teams in complex environments
- Proficiency in the following computer programmes: MS Excel, MS Word
- Good interpersonal skills and proven ability to work in a hostile/complex multicultural environment as a flexible and respectful team member.
Method of Application
- When the above link opens, select "Emergency Team Leader - Maiduguri", fill the form and attach your CV
- The CV attached must be named with your name and surname.
- As position is required as soon as possible, Solidarites International reserves the right to select a candidate and finalize the recruitment before the final date.
Interested and qualified? Go to Solidarites International career website on docs.google.com to apply