United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Category/Grade General Service, G6
Post Number 10030883/10026331
Type of contract/Duration Fixed Term / One Year
Effective date of assignment ASAP
- The Protection Associate reports to the Protection Officer or the Senior Protection Officer in Maiduguri sup-office. He/she
- monitors protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards
- and provides functional protection support to information management and programme staff.
- The Protection Associate is expected to coordinate quality, timely and effective protection responses to the needs of populations
- of concern and identify opportunities to mainstream protection methodologies and integrate protection safeguards in
- operational responses in all sectors. He/she contributes to designing a comprehensive protection strategy and liaises externally
- with authorities and partners on protection doctrine and policy as guided by the supervisor.
- The Protection Associate also ensures that persons of concern are involved with the Office in making decisions that affect them,
- whether in accessing their rights or in identifying appropriate solutions to their problems. To achieve this, the incumbent will
- need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance
- The protection of populations of concern is met through the application of International and National Law, relevant
- UN/UNHCR protection standards and IASC principles.
- Protection activities are guided by the UNHCR country protection strategy.
- The participation of persons of concern is facilitated through continuous assessment and evaluation using participatory,
- rights and community-based approaches.
- Protection incidents are immediately identified and reported
- Stay abreast of political, social, economic and cultural developments that have an impact on the protection
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of
- Assist in providing comments on existing and draft legislation related to persons of concern.
- Provide advice on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of
- personal and other relevant documentation.
- Assist in conducting eligibility and status determination for persons of concern.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Manage individual protection cases including those on SGBV and child protection. Monitor, and intervene in cases of
- refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for the largest possible number of persons of concern through voluntary
- repatriation, local integration and where appropriate, resettlement.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with
- implementing and operational partners.
- Contribute to effective information management through the provision of disaggregated data on populations of
- concern and their problems.
- Participate in initiatives to capacitate authorities, relevant institutions and NGOs to strengthen national protection
- related legislation and procedures.
- Prioritize persons of concern for interview, counselling and propose protection support for individual cases.
- Enforce compliance of local implementing partners with global protection policies and standards of professional
- integrity in the delivery of protection services.
- Enforce compliance with, and integrity of, all protection standard operating procedures.
- Submit individual payments request for persons of concern for approval
Essential Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of secondary school. Additional certificate/training in International Law, Political Science or related field is required.
- Minimum of 6 years of job experience relevant to the function.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
Good computer skills.
Completed Protection Learning Programme.
Code Managerial Competencies
M001 Empowering and Building Trust
M002 Managing Performance
M003 Judgement and Decision Making
M004 Strategic Planning and Vision
M006 Managing Resources
Code Cross-Functional Competencies
Innovation and Creativity
Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
Planning and Organizing
Policy Development and Research
7. X007 Political Awareness
8. X008 Stakeholder Management
9. X009 Change Capability and Adaptability
Method of Application
Candidates must be Nigerian nationals.
Internal Candidates:Interested staff members should consult the Policy and Procedures on Assignments of Locally recruited Staff (IOM/49-FOM/50/2012 dated 15 June 2012). If you have questions regarding your eligibility, you may also contact the HR Unit.
An applicant who has internal status is a staff member holding an indefinite or fixed-term appointment in any duty station in the country. Former UNHCR General Service staff members, having held an indefinite or fixed-term appointment for an uninterrupted period of at least one year may apply for internally advertised vacancies at their previous grade or equivalent or one grade above, if the seniority requirements are met, for a period of two years following separation.
External Candidates:External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
Interns who do not receive financial support from an outside party (i.e. government grants etc.) are entitled to a Food and Local Transportation Allowance (FTLA) which is equivalent of 10% of the Daily Subsistence Allowance (DSA) of the duty station and be based on 30 calendar days.
Remuneration:A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
Please be informed that this is a two-step application method for quality assurance reasons.
If you wish to be considered for this vacancy, please prepare your letter of motivation, resume and signed Personal History Form. Download and complete a Personal History Form (PHF) here: PHF Form / Supplementary Sheet.
- Click HERE to create a profile and upload your signed Letter of motivation and PHF AS ONE DOCUMENT.
- Submit the application, resume and Personal history form (P11) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org by following the sample, which includes information on the Vacancy number, Position number, title of the Position, grade and location as exemplified below;
“SUBJECT: Application for VN 2019/VA/033, Position No 10025913, Senior Information Management Assistant, G6, Abuja”
No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview.UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants for this position. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.