United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Human Resources Analyst
Job ID: 25645
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
NOA: Vacancy Type
FTA Local: Posting Type
External: Bureau Management
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
The nexus of security-humanitarian-development issues around Lake Chad has given rise to an intractable extremist insurgency that has left tens of thousands of people dead, approximately 2.5 million displaced, and more than 10 million people in the region affected and in need. While robust national and multi-national military operations have re-taken territory previously controlled by Boko Haram, UNDP recognizes that a new approach is required to consolidate these gains and establish the conditions necessary to transition from military to civilian responsibility for security, and from the provision of humanitarian assistance to the resumption of stalled development processes
In this context, the UNDP is strengthening its presence in the North East region by establishing a sub-office in Maiduguri. The sub-office will serve as the centre of operations for programming which will include a Regional Stabilization Facility, a Disengagement, Disassociation, Reconciliation and Reintegration (DDRR) and Recovery and Resilience programme. The Sub-Office (SO) for North East (NE) Region of Nigeria has been operational since 2017 and UNDP has established an Operations Service Centre to support management and operations functions related to the effective delivery of programmatic results.
Under the overall guidance of DRR-O with close collaboration with Head of Sub-Office, and direct supervision of the Sub-Office Operations Manager, the HR Analyst ensures effective delivery of HR services in the Sub-office. He/she interprets and applies HR policies, rules and regulations, implements internal procedures and provides solutions to a wide spectrum of complex HR issues. The HR Analyst promotes a collaborative, client-oriented approach and contributes to the maintenance of high staff morale. The HR Analyst works in close collaboration with the Business Development, Programme, Operations and project teams in the SO/CO and UNDP HQ staff ensuring successful SO/CO performance in HR management.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions
- Implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Effective HR management in Sub-Office
- Staff performance management and career development
- Conduct of UN-related surveys
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
Provides support to the implementation of HR strategies and policies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of HR activities with UN rules and regulations, UNDP policies, procedures and strategies; effective implementation of the internal control, analysis of parameters in support of proper design and functioning of the HR management system.
- HR business processes mapping and elaboration/establishment of internal Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) in HR management for NE Sub-Office
- Analysis and elaboration of proposals on the strategic approach to recruitment in the SO/CO, proper use of contractual modalities, forecast of the staffing needs, performance evaluation and staff career development management.
Provides support to effective human resources management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Management of recruitment processes including job descriptions, vacancy announcement, screening of candidates, organization and participation in the interview panels.
- Preliminary review of submissions to the Local Appointment and Promotion Board (LAPB).
- Management of contracts in and outside Atlas. Monitoring and tracking of all transactions related to positions, recruitment, HR data, benefits, earnings/deductions, retroactivity, recoveries, adjustments and separations through Atlas.
- Management of International staff entitlements and position funding delegated to the HR Unit.
- Development and management of rosters.
Provides support to proper staff performance management and career development focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of requirements and elaboration of the protocol for performance appraisal process, facilitation of the process.
- Active participation in the SO/CO learning team
- Elaboration of proposals on and implementation of strategic staffing policies in line with career development.
Ensures conduct of UN and UNDP-related surveys focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization and coordination of comprehensive and interim local salary, hardship and place-to-place surveys in North-East region of Nigeria in coordination with the supervisor.
- Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the SO/CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the organization and conduct of training for operations/ programme staff on HR issues.
- Synthesis of lessons learned and best practices in HR.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Impact of Results:
- The key results have an impact on the overall SO/CO efficiency in human resources management and success in introduction and implementation of HR strategies and policies
- Accurate analysis, reporting, proposals on systems enhancement strengthen UNDP credibility of UNDP as an effective and efficient organization in the HR sector.
- Building Strategic Partnerships
- Level 1.2: Maintaining a network of contacts
- Analyzes and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders
- Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
- Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise:
- Level 1.2: Fundamental knowledge of own discipline
- Understands and applies fundamental concepts and principles of a professional discipline or technical specialty relating to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Analyzes the requirements and synthesizes proposals
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Promoting Organizational Change and Development:
- Level 1.2: Basic research and analysis
- Researches and documents ‘best practices’ in organizational change and development within and outside the UN system
- Design and Implementation of Management Systems:
- Level 1.2: Research and analysis and making recommendations on management systems
- Maintains information/databases on system design features
- Develops simple system components.
- Level 1.2: Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Actively supports the interests of the client by making choices and setting priorities to meet their needs
- Promoting Accountability and Results-Based Management
- Level 1.2: Basic monitoring
- Gathers, analyzes and disseminates information on best practice in accountability and results-based management systems
- Monitors the implementation of corporate accountability and results-based management systems and makes recommendations to enhance performance of business units
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
- UNDP HR Certification programme
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree or equivalent in HR, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
- Up to 2 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing HR advisory services and/or managing staff and operational systems.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and experience in handling of web based management systems.
- Previous experience with a multilateral or international organization, notably with UN/UNDP, is highly desirable.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required
- The ability to communicate effectively in Kanuri, Hausa, or any other local language spoken in the NE region is an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.