RTI International is an independent, non-profit organization dedicated to conducting innovative, multidisciplinary research that improves the human condition. With a worldwide staff of more than 5,000 people, RTI offers innovative research and development and multidisciplinary services.
Short Term Consultant: Geo-Spatial Mapping of Water Supply Assets
Locations: Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger Sokoto and Taraba
- RTI International in collaboration with Plan International and other partners is implementing a 4-year USAID funded Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) program. The Program is part of the US Government’s efforts to assist the Federal Government of Nigeria to address the gaps in urban WASH services in Nigeria.
- E-WASH will provide technical assistance to state governments to improve urban water services delivery by strengthening the governance, financial, and technical viability of six (6) state water boards (SWBs) in Nigeria.
- The Effective Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (E-WASH) program is seeking a Short Term Technical Assistance from 6 innovative and technically strong GIS Experts to carryout Geo-Spatial Mapping of the fixed Assets of the State Water Boards of Abia, Delta, Imo, Niger Sokoto and Taraba. The assignment is for 66 Man days per state.
Objectives of the Assingment:
- This assignment seeks to capture the GPS of the fixed assets of the SWBs with their attributes and present them in an interactive GIS Platform.
- To achieve these goals E-WASH will provide support to create an integrated, spatially referenced asset management system. This integrated system will allow the staff and management of the SWB to readily access relevant information about their infrastructure and leave them with capacity to update and upgrade data for efficient service delivery. Development of a user-friendly GIS platform is a priority as well as providing capacity development for relevant SWB staff as the system is being implemented.
The objectives of this assignment are:
- Set up GIS hardware and software for the SWB
- train at least 5 SWB staff on GIS and digital Cartography (map production using GIS software).
- Develop electronic maps of the state geographic space indicating the locations of the SWBs assets including their attributes
- Digitize the water transmission and distribution network over a high-resolution satellite images. ation of major geographic features i.e (roads, large structures, monuments, landmarks etc).
- Import customer enumeration data into the electronic maps/GIS Platform
Qualifications and Experience
- We are looking for a GIS Expert with minimum of 5 years working experience.
- The consultant shall have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Geography, Town Planning, Engineering or related disciplines and must have proven experience in GIS, remote sensing, Cartography and Geo-spatial asset mapping.
Competencies and Special Skills Requirement:
- Considering that this is a Technical assistance, the following competencies are critical to the successful delivery of the assignment:
- Good communication, analytical thinking and leadership skills;
- Able to work with a team, adaptable and output-oriented;
- Excellent in GIS packages;
- Attention to detail and accuracy;
- Able to plan and efficient in multi-tasking;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent oral, writing reporting and presentation skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver on tight deadlines.
- We reckon that this assignment will last up to 66 days.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit by e-mail only an Application Letter and a CV/Resume as "One Single Word" document to: STTA@ewash.rti.org
- Email Subject line should be read any one out of these: STTA GIS Expert Abia, STTA GIS Expert Delta, STTA GIS Expert Imo, STTA GIS Expert Niger, STTA GIS Expert Sokoto, STTA GIS Expert Taraba (No other text should be on this subject line). If you would like to be considered in more than 1 state, then submit the application to each state you would like to be considered for.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be invited for negotiations.
- Women are strongly encouraged to apply. We offer a highly competitive renumeration.