Mercy Corps Nigeria implements a variety of programs with the ultimate goal of building productive, secure and just communities. The organization’s programs are implemented in twelve states, mainly in North West and North East Nigeria and Lagos. Our work covers the following sectors: economic development, livelihoods/food security, adolescent girls & boys empowerment, financial resilience, conflict mitigation and humanitarian response. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender, and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors
Roving Human Resource Officer
Reference Number: ABV/OPS/2019/0020
Location: Abuja, Nigeria with up to 50% travel to field office/project locations
Position Status Full-time, Fixed
- Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now and for the future.
- Mercy Corps Nigeria implements a variety of programs with the ultimate goal of building productive, secure and just communities. The organization’s programs are implemented in twelve states, mainly in North and North East Nigeria and Lagos. Our work covers the following sectors: economic development, livelihoods/food security, adolescent girls & boys’ empowerment, financial resilience, conflict management and humanitarian response. Common themes include community engagement, inclusive development, gender and working in partnership with local government, the private sector and civil society actors.
- The Human Resource Department is responsible for providing effective HR policies, procedures, and people-friendly guidelines and support within Mercy Corps Nigeria.
- This includes but is not limited to: Talent Acquisition & development; employee engagement coordination; countrywide training & learning management; compensation & benefits administration; countrywide performance management oversight; disciplinary & grievance handling; staff data management; staff disengagement management and 3rd party service provision management (HMO, Group Life, etc)
General Position Summary
- The Roving Human Resource Officer will work alongside relevant members of the HR Department and be responsible for active and passive recruitment; creating candidate shortlists and long lists; management of all recruitment and candidate screening software; preparation of pre-hire new hire starter packs; management of communication between both successful and unsuccessful candidates; management of the candidate talent pool and championing of the national & expatriate onboarding process.
- H/she will also work with the senior HR Manager and senior HR officers to support the Human Resource function across MCN including employee engagement & management, performance management, employee welfare and HR project management. He/she is also expected to represent Mercy Corps Nigeria externally and to convey compelling employee value propositions based on MCN guiding principles, benefits and areas of expertise.
Essential Job Functions
- Participate in the development, planning, and implementation of recruiting activities designed to enhance MCN’s ability to attract and retain qualified candidates.
- Develop strategic relationships with strategic hiring sources (e.g. colleges, universities, networks, associations), ensuring awareness of MCN as a destination employer
- Establishes recruiting requirements by studying organization plans and objectives; meeting with managers to discuss needs
- Builds applicant sources by researching and contacting community services, colleges, employment agencies, recruiters, media, and internet sites; providing organization information, opportunities, and benefits; making presentations; maintaining rapport
- Effect all required recruitment activities in line with the set recruitment process and applicable staffing plans
- Run the full post recruitment activities for all Abuja based hires
- Run onboarding activities for Abuja based national staff and expatriate hires
- Recommend strategic and creative sourcing strategies that support MCN’s mission and human resource goals and objectives
- Work closely with hiring managers to identify personnel needs, job specifications, job duties, qualifications and skills
- Develop and maintain a network of contacts to help identify and source qualified candidates
- Screen and refer external and internal candidates for additional interviews with others in the organization
- Review applications/resumes and interview candidates to obtain work history, education, training, job skills, salary requirements and to provide information about the organization and position
- Participate with managers in interviews, clarifying employment policy and procedures
- Perform reference and background checks for new hires and discuss results with hiring managers
- Prepare documentation including remuneration package attached to offers for new hires in accordance with MCN recruitment process flow
- Assist with the development and presentation of talent acquisition procedures for field and headquarters staff at regional meetings, orientations and training functions
- Enter and maintain recruitment information in the Applicant Tracking system
- Perform and promote all activities in compliance with equal employment and non-discrimination policies; follows federal laws, state laws, Agency policies and the professional standards
- Conduct public presentations at schools, colleges, organizations, career days, job fairs, etc.
- Translate departmental work plan and countrywide annual HR plan into specific activities to be carried out within region of the cover
- Follow Mercy Corps Policies and Procedures for Human Resources as stipulated in the Mercy Corps field Administration and National Staff Handbook including the recruitment policy and other guidelines.
- Maintain confidentiality of all national staff personnel issues including disciplinary procedures and contracts/pay rises;
- Ensure that all new hires undergo on-boarding process within the region of cover for both nationals and expatriates upon the hire.
- Support in the deployment of annual employee engagement activities including general meetings, town hall meetings, strategy sessions and capacity development initiatives
- Carry out other tasks as needed to fulfil responsibilities
- Reports Directly To: Senior Human Resource Manager
- Works Directly With: HR department, All Hiring Managers, Directors of Programs, Senior Management Team, Mercy Corps operation staff, finance, program team and partner organizations.
Knowledge And Experience
- Broad knowledge and experience in employment law, compensation, benefits administration, organizational planning and development, employee relations, recruitment, selection and onboarding
- Must have excellent skills in the use of all Microsoft office tools
- Must have previous experience in recruitment and onboarding systems management
- Must have excellent analytical skills and good reasoning abilities and sound judgment.
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills
- Must exhibit a high level of initiative, flexibility and creativity
Qualification & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management/Business or related field
- 2-5 years of professional experience with at least 4 years of progressive and hands-on HR generalist experience evident in multiple human resource disciplines specifically Recruitment, Selection, Orientation, Onboarding and Talent Management
- At least three years’ experience in recruiting for the private and/or not for profit sectors
- Proven experience recruiting for multiple positions within a multi-project/program environment
- In-depth knowledge of HR and employment laws
- Ability to design and execute effective and creative recruitment strategies for difficult-to-fill international recruitment assignments
- Membership of relevant professional body (CIPM, SHRM, etc) is an added advantage
- Fluency in English is required. Fluency in any other Nigerian languages including Yoruba, Hausa and Kanuri will be considered a plus
- The successful candidate will be Customer Service Oriented; an excellent listener; highly extroverted; analytical; Able to relate to people at all levels of an organization; a people person; a Strategic and analytical thinker; Organized and able to multi-task. S/he will also be able to thrive in a fast-paced environment and will demonstrate a strong understanding of the cultural and social environment that exists both in and out of Nigeria and will have the willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide verity of people.
Living /Environmental Conditions:
- This position will be based in Abuja with an estimated 50% travel, primarily to program locations within the Northeast and other conflict-affected states, where security is at times high-risk. Security in Abuja is generally good, although there are times when security is an issue. Housing, health care, water, electricity and consumer goods are all reasonably accessible and there are good international and domestic travel options from Abuja Airport.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should their CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements, reference number and location to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title and reference number in the subject line
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview
- We are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position