Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
Ref Id: 190001LR
Locations: Kano and Bauchi
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Scope of Role
- Reports to: Finance Officer
Key Areas of Accountability
- Assist in ensuring that sub grantees (CSOs) have clear roles and responsibilities, and a strong understanding of all of Donor’s and Save the Children’s regulations and policies, especially the core policies such as; Child Safeguarding Policy, Code of Conduct, Fraud & dishonesty policies, Anti-bribery and corruption policy and whistle blowing policy.
- Coordinate with the Line manager to ensure timely and appropriate cash flows, matched with the operational needs of the state office and budget forecasts, and in line with SC policies and USAID requirements.
- Assist the Finance officer to manage the electronic spreadsheet/format for receiving and disbursing funds; coordinate the preparation and timely submission of monthly financial reports and other reports to Finance office in Abuja as required. Ensure accurate keeping of account books (electronic and paper) for the state office.
- Help ensure that timely and accurate information is generated and disseminated accordingly to the project team, to inform activity planning and forecasts.
- With the Finance officer process all banking activities in the state office, ensuring that bank account records are accurately maintained, and that bank statements are obtained on a timely basis.
- Process all payments (cheque and/or cash) to vendors, service providers, and partners in line with SC policies & USAID requirements. Ensure all financial transactions in the state office are appropriately approved, authorised and administered, in line with SC & USAID policies.
- Maintain the office cash box and disburse cash payments. Ensure weekly cash counts are done and properly documented by non finance staff.
- With support from Finance officer conduct state level finance induction for all new staff on finance policies, systems and procedure.
- Support the state teams to provide administrative and technical support to the partners to ensure that all financial documentation and reports are prepared and submitted on a timely basis in line with SC policies, project agreements, and DFID requirements.
- In collaboration with the line manager support the training in financial management in accordance with USAID & SC’s financial management policies
- Work with the state team to establish basic systems/procedures for state office support functions, such as: communications, documentation, records and file-keeping, publications, training resources and informational materials, inventories for office supplies and equipment, etc.
- Support the office assistant to coordinate all state-level procurement activities, basic administrative functions, and asset/property management in line with SC policies and USAID requirements. Help to liaise with landlord and other external officials as needed.
- Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills And Behaviours (Our Values In Practice)
- Accuracy and timeliness in all areas of responsibility
- High level of accuracy in work, and ability to analyse complex sets of relationships and situations
- Holds self and others accountable
- Creating best-in-class EA function
- Future-orientated, thinks pro-actively
- Working effectively with stakeholders to achieve common goals
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Designing more effective admin systems
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, demonstrates highest levels of integrity.
Skills & Experience
Administrative & General Skills:
- Level of Education – B.Sc /HND or equivalent
- Specified Study Area – Finance / Accounts / Business Administration
- Experience in working with partners accountable for grants and other financial support provided to implement project activities, particularly at community level.
- Excellent verbal communication and listening skills.
- Language Requirements: Spoken English-Excellent; Written English-Excellent
- Must be able to speak at least one local language predominant in that state.
- Level of IT Expertise: Excellent (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Professional certificate in accounting and finance
- Good training and facilitation skills (for financial training/support to partners).
- Ability to multi-task, engage in long-term planning, meet deadlines, and handle last-minute demands; exercise patience, and adapt to changing circumstances.
- Ability to be creative and proactive health service improvement is essential.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.