- Study at London’s Top University - MDX. Tuition from just $5000 and 4 campuses. Learn more
State Team Lead at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
Posted on: 27 May, 2019
Deadline: 7 June, 2019
View Jobs in Healthcare / Medical
View All Jobs at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL) is a public health and development consulting firm established by a team with extensive experience in international development and public health programming. We provide technical assistance for health system reforms towards access to cost-effective and quality health care across Nigeria and the continent of Africa.
State Team Lead
Reports to: Project Manager
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Expected Duration of Assignment: 18 months
- The Nigerian health system is weak and unresponsive as a result of years of grappling with poor infrastructure, inadequate equipment and technology, inadequate number and mix of healthcare workers, poor capacity of health sector stakeholders, poor information management/sharing mechanisms and under investment by the government. Against this backdrop, the country struggles in the move towards Universal Health Coverage (UHC). As many countries continue to progress towards the achievement of UHC goals, sustainable mechanisms for financing healthcare, improvements in human resources for health management and budget processes for health as well as strengthening systems for health accounts have been identified as crucial.
- The Global Fund’s Catalytic Health System Investment Programme for prioritised states in Nigeria including Kaduna, Imo and Oyo clearly identifies a number of key interventions to strengthen health systems in the focus states. These interventions include amongst others:
- Strengthen public financial management (PFM) capacity of the Ministries of Health in Kaduna, Imo and Oyo to develop, execute and advocate for realistic and evidence-based spending on health in line with international best practices;
- Conduct necessary actuarial analysis and roll-out/support of state health insurance schemes;
- Assess Health Labour Market; and,
- Carry out and update state health accounts.
- The State Team lead will coordinate and lead implementation of all project activities in focus states.
Summary of Key Functions
- Provide on-the-ground technical, managerial, and operational oversight on the project and facilitate capacity building and mentoring for state actors and project state team
- Review and refine frameworks, processes and tools for the scheme including the operational guideline, service delivery models/networks and enrolment
- Support state actors in the review and refinement of existing healthcare financing bill and support efforts in facilitating stakeholder mobilisation and generating political will for the improvement of health care in the state, as may be indicated
- Work closely with state actors in designing healthcare financing options
- Provide technical assistance in adapting and harmonising preferred healthcare financing options to existing healthcare financing initiatives and healthcare reforms in the state
- Provide technical assistance to state actors in developing an operational plan to guide the implementing of the preferred healthcare financing options
- Provide technical and operational oversight over budget study, health labour market analysis and state health accounts (SHA) to be conducted in the state
- Provide technical assistance towards strengthening the budgeting process and public financial management capacity for the state.
- Support subject matter experts for the development of a health workforce improvement plan/strategy
- Assess capacity of existing structures, processes and skills of relevant staff in relevant agencies, develop and implement strategies/plan to address capacity gaps through on the job mentoring and supervision and training workshops
- Facilitate engagements with state-level stakeholders.
- Support the development of quality assurance for MEL systems for Contributory Health scheme and facilitate linkage reporting to state HMIS
- Support the development and implementation of a performance management system to track results.
- Lead development of assessment reports, project briefs, project related reports including presentations and papers.
- Lead the facilitation of trainings, workshops, and meetings.
- Lead implementation of project workplan and tracking deliverables
- Supervise activities of the State Technical Officers
- Represent the firm at meetings with key government stakeholders and development partners within and outside the state; cultivate relationships with key stakeholders both government, partners
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as assigned by the project manager
Educational Qualification and Experience
- Advanced qualifications in Public Health, Health Management or similar fields
- At least 7 years demonstrated experience in implementing health financing/health insurance programs
- Demonstrated experience in stakeholder management and capacity building
- Demonstrated experience in monitoring and evaluation for projects
- Knowledge of the Nigerian health sector and health financing
- Knowledge/work experience in Oyo
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to build strong relationships with clients, focus on impact and result for the client and respond positively to feedback
- Knowledge of the Nigerian health sector and health financing landscape is required
- Knowledge/work experience in the preferred state or its environs is required
- Outstanding analytical skills
- Consistently approach work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrate strong oral and written communication skills;
- Effective stakeholder engagement/management skills.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send a Cover Letter (no more than a page) and updated CV in one document to: email@example.com using the "Job Title" as the subject of the email.
- Recent Jobs from Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Technical Officer at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Financial Management Advisor at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Advisor - The Global Fund’s Catalytic Health System Investment Programme at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Health Economist/Health Financing Advisor at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Organisational Management Advisor at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Actuary at Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)
- Know More About Health Systems Consult Limited (HSCL)Similar Jobs
- Surveillance Nutrition Officer at International Rescue Committee (IRC)
- Junior Medical Doctor at Karferry Limited
- Programs Manager (Capacity Building/Emergency Response) at Doctors On Call Health Support Initiative
- Monitoring,Evaluation and Documentation Officer at Centre for Communication and Social Impact
- Laboratory Manager at Inter-Arc Consultants Limited
- Qualified Nurse/Experienced Midwife at Beacongate Limited
- Senior Medical Officer at Beacongate Limited
- Laboratory Scientist at Beacongate Limited