Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
Advocacy & Campaign Coordinator (National Position)
Ref Id: 190000Y5
- To provide support to the project team on Policy analysis, new Programme development, advocacy initiatives, strategy development and pro-poor governance agenda in the delivery of basic social services with focus on improving quality and access to Health Services, Nutrition, Food Security, Education and Child Protection.
Key Areas of Accountability
People Management & Leadership:
- Have regular meetings with local authorities to update on the progress of programmes
- Involve relevant authorities in the planning and implementation of programmes through consultation and joint visits
- In collaboration with other team members plan and carry out feedback meetings with authorities and beneficiaries
- Advocate for allocation of appropriate resources for the implementation of nutrition, FSL, Education activities in the LGAs
Programme Development and Quality:
- Support actively in the process of developing the organization’s short- and long-term governance and advocacy agendas. As directed, and particularly as it relates to exploring governance-related barriers to the elimination of exclusion and inequity, undertake research and analysis on possible new areas for SC programming.
- Prepare concept papers and other relevant documents, and initiate and describe project ideas and initiatives in accordance with the country strategy, the current contextual environment, the institutional capabilities of potential partners, resource availability and funding sources
- When working on specific high-priority initiatives, the Advocacy Coordinator will collaborate with senior staff and support the analysis process, developing policy positions and programme strategies, establishing new networks and partnerships, and managing coalitions.
- Assist colleagues to strengthen their knowledge and skills/capacities to incorporate governance frameworks, policy research, analysis and advocacy into their work.
- Contribute to development of advocacy strategies proposal writing and fund raising
Communication and Representation:
- Act as SC’s representative at local, national and international levels with local authorities, partners etc. as required, mainly in events relating to basic services (health/nutrition, FSL and education) programme. Represent SC Nigeria CO and communicate SC Nigeria CO's public policy and advocacy positions as and when appropriate to institutions, government, international, national and local organisations as required.
- Support the coordination of the drafting and submission of strategic, planning and reporting documents, including but not limited to strategy documents, the operational plan and annual reports, and ad hoc requests for updates and reports from SC CO and Regional Office.
- Develop and maintain a professional network for governance issues within Nigeria and within SC globally.
- Dissemination of important information and messages
- Supervise consultants involved in writing project designs, case studies or reports, facilitating training events, and conducting policy research, or other such contracted services.
- Support the implementation of the governance programme including quality control, negotiation with local partners, financial management, documentation, monitoring and evaluation, reporting etc
Other - Other ad hoc tasks as requested by Line Manager.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Skills and Experience
- Level of Education – Post Graduate
- Specified Study Area – Public Health / Social Science
- Desired Number of Years’ Experience – 4 years post NYSC (in health/social services delivery with a focus on governance and enhanced voice and accountability)
- Language Requirements – English - Excellent. working knowledge of local language(s)
- Level of IT Expertise Required – Excellent
- Profound knowledge in Nigeria governance especially the North East. Good knowledge of Borno governance structure and dynamics; knowledge of the health systems and political terrains.
- Ability to clearly communicate and easily relate to federal and state authorities
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural environment
- Comply with the requirements of Save the Children’s commitment to protect children in accordance with the Child Safeguarding Policy.
Prior Experience Expectations:
- Building external networks
- Strategic Planning
- Change Management
- Governance and advocacy
- Enhanced voice accountability
- Training and Facilitation
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.