WASH Consultant at CBM International
Posted on: 11 February, 2019
Deadline: 21 February, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at CBM International
Christoffel Blinden Mission (CBM) is an international Christian development organization, committed to improving the quality of life of persons with disabilities in the poorest communities of the world. CBM works in partnership with local civil society organizations’, communities, government and in alliance with international organizations in Africa and the rest of the world.
The consultant is expected to:
- Develop construction specification for inclusive and accessible motorized and hand-pumped boreholes in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe.
- Support CBM implementing partners to ensure that only qualified firms are selected for the construction of the accessible boreholes, including contract preparation.
- Monitor the construction of the boreholes across the project states to ensure that the agreed specifications are strictly adhered to. These include; technical design and programme of work (detailed engineering design), preparation and compliance with the necessary permits and approvals, supervising and ensuring quality in the construction, rehabilitation, commissioning and turn-over of the WASH activities of the project.
- In collaboration with RUWASA, work with CBM implementing partners to train selected community members (WASH committee) on borehole maintenance.
- Provide WASH technical advice to CBM and Partners and to the communities and local stakeholders with or through the partners.
- Undertake and provide the necessary support to CBM and Partners for the fulfilment of the WASH activities of the project in accordance with CBM and partner agreed standards.
- Maintain records of activity inputs, outputs and outcomes and other monitoring data, and work closely with the CBM Programme officer/Manager to ensure rigorous reporting.
- Work with the Disability Inclusion Officer to ensure that all accessibility issues are fully taken into account and with the partners, ensure the participation of persons with disabilities in decision making about WASH issues.
- Support CBM with attending WASH working group meetings (Not compulsory.
- The consultancy team will comprise the expertise listed below. Considering the fact that one person is not likely to possess all the required expertise needed for the successful completion of the assignment, the candidate is at liberty to offer the option of a team. In case of an option of a team, the candidate will describe the human resource profile (including expertise, human resource number, days allocated, tasks allocated, team leader) of the team in the technical offer.
- Degree in Water Engineering/Architecture
- M.Sc. is an added advantage
- At least 10 years' experience in construction, particularly borehole construction.
- At least 5 years' professional experience in WASH programme implementation
- Understanding of disability-inclusive, gender-sensitive development
- Excellent facilitation skills
- Good understanding of the public health needs of poor rural communities and of appropriate ways of tackling them. The consultant must be aware of and sensitive to the particular needs of persons with disabilities, women and children in this context.
- Practical experience in a development or emergency context in appropriate water supplies, sanitation, hygiene promotion and environmental sanitation will be an added advantage
- Understanding of monitoring processes, learning, adaptation and evaluation.
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations with good written and spoken English. The consultant will be expected to have his/her own computer.
- Well-developed interpersonal and team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations.
- Diplomacy, tact and administrative skills in order to work with people at managerial or senior government levels. The consultant should also be at ease in working with local communities and a diverse team of NGO partners and staff.
- Be familiar with and abide by CBM’s Code of Conduct, Child safeguarding policy and other regulatory codes.
- Willingness to work in insecure environments and a high level of adaptability and initiative.
- Fluent in written and spoken English and ability to speak Hausa is an added advantage
Management of the consultancy and logistics:
- Professional Fees. The fee of the consultant will be negotiated based on the candidate's profile. Payment of professional fees will be made on a monthly basis upon submission of invoices by the consultant, supported by their approved accomplishment reports. CBM will deduct withholding tax from the consultancy fees as mandated by the government.
- Incidental Costs / Operating Expenses: Incidental costs/operating expenses shall be liquidated against a cash advance separately, and will only include transportation, accommodation and meals during official travel in line with CBM’s approved rate and with proper documentation.
- Personal Insurance: The consultant shall procure and be responsible for his/her own insurance coverage at his/her own cost.
- To fulfil the aforementioned, the consultant will have extensive, extended and frequent travel to the project locations in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe
- The consultancy shall be for an initial period of 6 months with the possibility of an extension. Consultant(s) will be required to report to work on each work day of the week, unless otherwise agreed with CBM. (Detailed timetable would be worked out jointly by the consultant and CBM).
Method of Application
Interested consultants should submit a detailed expression of interest (technical and financial proposal) with the following components:
- Understanding of the ToRs
- Proposed methodology and work schedule
- A profile of the consultant including full name, physical addresses, telephone number(s).
- Copy of CV(s) of consultant(s) who will undertake the feasibility study
The application should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the job title in the subject line.
- CBM will review applications on a rolling basis and might award contract at any time.
- Qualified female candidates and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- All consultants must adhere to CBM’s values and commit to CBM’s Child Safeguarding Policy.
- CBM is an equal opportunities employer, and particularly welcomes applications from persons with disabilities.
- Recent Jobs from CBM International
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Baseline Consultant at CBM International
- Knowledge Management and M&E Officer at CBM International
- Know More About CBM InternationalSimilar Jobs
- Class Teacher (Early Years Foundation School) at Chelis Education Consult Limited
- Support/Technical Engineer - Equipment Specialist at Chibek Instruments Limited
- Assistant Factory Manager (Consumer Electronics & Home Appliances) at SIMS Nigeria Limited
- Facility Officer at OfficeMakers International
- Electrical Engineer at Work Place Centre Limited
- Technical Support Engineer - Power Specialist at Chibek Instruments Limited
- Marine Superintendent at Willers Solutions
- Furniture Specialist at Chibek Instruments Limited