The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an international medical organization, founded in 2009. ALIMA’s aim is to provide a high standard of healthcare in situations of emergency or medical disaster and to improve the practice of humanitarian medicine by developing innovative projects associated with medical research. The specific feature of the association is to base its operating methods mainly on partnership with national medical players. By pooling and capitalizing on their skills, ALIMA and its partners give as many people as possible access to a high standard of treatment.
Since its creation, the association and its partners have successfully developed in line with the increase in humanitarian medical needs, especially in Western and Central Africa: 580,000 patients treated in 2014 including over 25,000 hospitalizations, new governance between the partners of the medical NGO platform in the Sahel, new innovative approaches and operational research projects. ALIMA also responded to the Ebola emergency by opening a 40-bed Ebola treatment centre in Guinea. With operations in eight countries, 15 projects, over 1,200 employees and a budget of €19.5 million, ALIMA is a dynamic NGO, effectively deploying medical aid for the most vulnerable.
Data Manager & Analysist
DUTY STATION :
MAIDUGURI (COORDINATION OFFICE)
DATA MANAGER & ANALYSIST
REPORT TO :
DEPUTY MEDICAL COORDINATOR, PROJECTS MEDICAL REFERENTS AND EPIDEMIOLOGIST IF EXIST.
4 DATA ENCODORS (MONGUNO, BAGA, ASKIRA-UBA, MUNA)
MAIN PURPOSE IN THE ORGANISATION
Responsible to coordinate and monitor all data related activities including: collection, compilation, verification, encoding, data entry, analysis reporting under the Medical Coordinator. Also responsible for the supervision, training and support to field data collectors, as well as coordination of medical data reporting for internal and external use in conjunction with the Medical Coordinator.
RESPONSABILITY / MAINLY ACTIVITIES
- Collect the medical data of the projects (epidemiological data, statistics, project data), and elaborate regular reporting to the medical coordinator, in order to have updated and reliable information about the day-to-day activities of the projects.
- More specifically, the Data manager and analysis will be under the supervision of the medical coordinator:
- Set up various databases for all project sites and emergency interventions; Update databases used in the projects as required.
- Work with Data collectors/Encoders in all projects to ensure patient files are properly stored in an accessible manner.
- Monitor the quality of data collection: Ensure the data collectors have the right source of documents within the projects, Ensure the quality of the data contained in the compilation tools and ensure respect for the principles of confidentiality of patient data.
- Supervise and train data collectors in the projects: Supervise the project entry operators and identify the difficulties they face in terms of the use of tools and send them or notify them to the project activities manager and the medical coordinator; Provide support and on the job-training to data collectors; Organize training for seizure operators on identified needs.
- Train new staff e.g. Medrefs and other staff involved in data collection on how the data tools work.
- Inform the Medrefs and MedCo of communicable diseases with epidemic potential: Hold a database or a history of alerts and emergencies according to the scenarios (Measles, Cholera, Meningitis) and other situations (population movement or IDP, inflow of wounds) And in case of emergency intervention ensure that projects or databases / linear list updated if necessary and uses it. Monitor, compile and analyze the database on a weekly basis;
- Data analyzes: Conduct analyzes on databases collected with Medrefs and the Medical coordinator of the mission and give a short weekly summary and monthly basis: and advise the projects and medical coordination on the situation in terms of the achievement of indicator targets, alert situation for epidemiological diseases and errors identified in the projects databases in terms of collection or encoding.
- Carry out data analysis of various orders according to the request by informing the Medco of the needs expressed in advance
- Reports: Compile monthly data from project locations into a monthly data report and maintain a reporting system for monthly and quarterly reports for all medical activities for the projects, internal and external partners such as different donors, nutritional sector, health sector, SGBV sector, UNCEF and WHO, etc. While ensuring that the requests are in agreement with the organization.
- Participate in cluster and HIS meetings organized by the MoH of the Borno region.
- To troubleshoot problems that may arise with the databases.
- Liaise with the informatics staff in Dakar responsible regarding data collection for the DHSI2;
- In the event of investigation, research, surveys it will have to contribute to the preparation of the plan of management and analysis of the data (recommendation of the software best adapted for high quality analyzes)
- Perform all other tasks requested by the mission.
- Diploma in Statistics or a master's degree in Epidemiology or Public Health with strong knowledge in epidemiology and statistics.
- Diploma in Health Sciences (Medicine, Nursing)
2-year experience in data analysis & management
Excellent command of verbal and written English is essential.
- Computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Perfect mastery of data processing and analysis software (DHSI2 / National Data Collection System, STATA, Epi Info, Epi Data, others)
- Ability to cope with transfers of data and complicated epidemiological reporting.
- Experience in designing and developing databases for collection of medical data.
- Strong ability to co-ordinate, priorities and organize workload, work under pressure with minimal supervision.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, good judgment and a high level of respect for confidentiality.
- Highly effective organizational and multi-tasking skills.
- Team management and good mastery of teamwork
- Adherence to the ALIMA Principles and Charter
- Flawless motivation and result oriented
- Can work under stress & available on request.
- Experience with ALIMA or another Medical INGO is strongly desired
- Epidemiological background
- Familiar with GIS to design when necessary maps to localize an outbreak, existing health facilities in a given area
Contract term: Fixed Term Contracts’ renewable
Salary: NATIONAL PAY SCALE LEVEL 9
Method of Application
Documents to be sent: To apply, please send your CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the reference “Data Manager & Analysist - Nigeria” in the subject line.
NB: This job profile is not exhaustive, as it could change from time to time according to the needs of the mission.