Norwegian Church Aid ('NCA') is a member of the ACT Alliance and works with people and local actors, especially Faith-based actors in many countries where it works in their struggle to eradicate poverty and injustices. We provide humanitarian assistance in disasters and work for long-term development in local communities and societies. In order to address the root causes of poverty, we advocate for just decisions by public authorities, businesses and religious leaders.
NCA has a presence in Nigeria to respond to the Humanitarian crisis in Northeast Nigeria and will scale up an emergency response in the Cross River states. NCA has its core competencies in Gender Based Violence and Water Sanitation and Hygiene. NCA has its strengths in works and invest in local partners ensures building their capacities are built from the onset of response, in order to enable them have the capacity to respond in a long-term intervention including recovery and development.
Gender Based Violence Outreach Worker
Department / Sector:
GBV and Protection
Gender Based Violence Officer
JOB PURPOSE. The purpose of the job is to mainly to carryout community outreach, sensitization and awareness raising interventions to reach a wider coverage of the beneficiaries and communities on GBV related issues and engage in prevention related activities including economic empowerment activities through the Village Savings and Loan association. The position holder will also be actively engaged in providing information to women and girls on available services and referrals and supports to women and girls.
- Assist in the establishment of the women and girls safe spaces in the identified camp/location.
- Create and maintain a positive and fruitful relationship with women, girls and the general community.
- Carry out community sensitisation, awareness raising and education activities in the camps, and other locations in the communities based
- Facilitate supports to women and girls who visit and may want to visit the safe spaces to access services and other supports.
- Engage men and boys on GBV prevention related activities
- Provide referrals to vulnerable women, girls, and especially GBV survivors to access services available in the community and at the safe spaces.
- Closely work with the caseworkers, GBV officer in the formation of the Adolescent girls group with consultation and engagement with their parents.
- Carry out weekly adolescent girls sessions as agreed
- Carryout the economic empowerment activities as agreed and especially the VSLA for women and girls.
- Plan and implement agreed project activities with support from supervisor
- Conduct outreach activities to encourage women and girls to seek health care and other services.
- Ensure that a psychosocial approach/perspective is employed in all work activities and decisions and that these reflect the priorities and best interests of women and girls been assisted.
- Establish regular coordination and liaison with community leaders, NGOs, service providers and local organizations especially at the reception centers/transit centers etc.
- Ensure that all program activities create a neutral and supportive environment for women and girls
- Ensure strict adherence to NCA/ACT code of conduct
- Assist in the formation and facilitation of women only VSLA groups in based location.
- Must be able to maintain confidentiality
- University Degree in community/rural development/education, social sciences, or equivalent is a requirement.
- Previous social work and or community engagement work experience or experience working with women and girls and communities affected by conflict required.
- Good training, communication and facilitation skills necessary
- Fluency in English, Hausa, Kanuri plus other Languages in NE Nigeria an advantage
- Knowledge of Word and Excel programs preferred
- Willing to stay and work remote locations, field.
- Flexible and can adapt to prevailing environment.
- Computer literate especially micro soft work, excel database and power point. Knowledge of other software an advantage.
Method of Application
NCA is committed to following the following policies, standards and commitments and all staff are equally expected to conform to their requirements:
- Humanitarian Accountability Partnership (HAP)
- Code of Conduct for the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in Disaster Relief
- ACT Alliance Code of Conduct
- SPHERE Humanitarian Charter and Minimum Standards in Disaster Relief
- NCA Nigeria Security Plan
- NCA Nigeria Staff Handbook
Please send all applications to not later than 06/02/2019 Recruitment-Ng@nca.no or firstname.lastname@example.org and at 16:00 latest.
Please include two referees in your applications, of which one must be a recent supervisor from your former organisation/institution.
THIS IS WOMEN ONLY POSITIONS.
PLEASE NOTE THAT CANDIDATE IS REQUIRED TO START AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and positions may be filled before closing date.