An international Development organisation seeks to fill the role below
Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS)
NERI is seeking to engage qualified nationals as consultants for the following positions: (i) Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS) (ii) Gender and Community Development Assistant (GCDA).
Position Title (1): Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS)
Job Location: Borno and Yobe State (expected prolonged travel to northern Borno and Yobe)
Contract Term: Consultant
Duration: Six (6) months
This program seeks is to design and implement activities that will collectively empower women and girls through capacity & coalition building in targeted communities. The efforts include identifying community related activities and developing curriculum activities that will address issues around women and girls’ vulnerability. In addition, establish various platforms or groups of women within the community which gives women and girls a safe space to discuss and address issues on vulnerabilities and as well encourage women involvement within their communities, in a culturally-sensitive manner.
SCOPE OF WORK/PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES
The Gender and Capacity Building Specialist (GCBS) will be responsible for developing and implementing, in collaboration with community stakeholders, capacity-building activities to address priority issues as it relates to women and girls’ vulnerabilities within their community.
The GCBS will strengthen existing platforms or establish new platforms to support the implementation of activities in targeted communities in a gradual, iterative and culturally-sensitive way to build capacity among women and develop local and eventually regional coalitions within Northeast Nigeria (Borno and Yobe).
REPORTING & SUPERVISION
The GCBS will report directly to the NERI Program Manager and will technically supervise the GCDA.
- Responsible for general oversight of all activities at targeted communities, as well as the type of program interventions to address related issues on women and girls’ vulnerabilities
- Design capacity-building curriculum that will address different topics on the role of women in peace building, including but not limited to: management of community-based organizations, prevention of violent extremism, sexual and gender-based violence prevention and micro business skills.
- Deliver capacity and coalition building activities in the program locations; the curriculum will be contextualized to local realities.
- In coordination with GCDA, establish program oversight and monitoring to ensure community buy-in of activities
- Conduct an introductory and a follow-up meeting with the GCDA including identification of the relevant sessions in the curriculum where women perspectives are to be integrated, as well as understand their specific needs and expectations
- Identify existing or previous platforms that addresses interventions that relate to women and girls, while stating the challenges and successes of these programs.
- Coordinate trainings and meetings with stakeholders and submit specific activity reports to the Program Manager
- Develop appropriate tools and materials to facilitate community-based meetings with support from the GCDA which will be held regularly in the communities
- Reinforce and/or establish organized groups of women within the selected communities
- Facilitate Community outreaches in collaboration with the GCDA
- Submit a weekly report that includes all findings during week. Format for the report will be given to consultant.
- Submit a final report at the end of the consultancy
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- University degree in Education, Psychology, Sociology, political science, law and/or advance degree in Conflict management, Peace building or related field is required. Must have five (5) years or more work experience in managing women and gender issues
- Work experience with an internationally-funded project on governance, stabilization and/or women related programing is highly desirable.
- Experience in developing training curriculum and manuals.
- Strong understanding of gender-sensitive programming principles and tools and ability to apply these effectively to meet the need for community and stakeholder’s engagement.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and maintaining stakeholder networks across local government platforms and community engagement forums.
- Experience in working in the North East especially Northern Borno and Yobe preferable.
- Excellent influencing and relationship management skills for community mobilization.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Ability to communicate in Hausa, Kanuri and/or Shuwa-Arabic desirable.
- Ability to travel frequently within the activity locations
The duration for this activity will initially be for 6 months with possibility of extension.
Potential activity locations include, but are not limited to:
- Borno: Kareto, Gubio, Damasak, Mongonu, Shuwa Communities, Maiduguri
- Yobe: Geidam and Yunusari (Kanamma) LGA
Method of Application
Qualified applicants MUST submit the following documents to email@example.com by December 27th, 2018:
- A current resume or curriculum vitae (CV) listing all job responsibilities; AND
- A cover letter
Please reference the job title and location on the subject line, your cover letter and resume/CV.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.