UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential. Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
We are recruiting to fill the positions below:
FT Information Comm. Technology Associate
Job Number: 518066
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does” in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children's rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life” in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions” her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society's most disadvantaged citizens addressing inequity” not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
How can you make a difference?
- Information and Communications Technology (ICT) Associates perform procedural and some specialized activities pertaining to UNICEF's ICT systems, which include desktop administration and server operations.
- Specialized activities typically pertain to the installation and routine configuration of ICT system components and user orientation.
- Procedural activities include all other processes that may not require the application of specialized information technology training and knowledge, such as maintaining technical and user documentation and/or serving as focal point for receipt and processing of user requests.
Key Functions, Accountabilities and Related Duties/Tasks
General ICT / Office Support:
- ICT Associates at this level perform a full range of procedural activities in support of ICT to ensure effective communications with client departments/divisions/offices and efficient provision of support to other ICT staff.
- Providing first-level support that includes receiving, processing and logging service requests.
- Managing lifecycle of ICT incidents assigned to him/her in service management tool.
- Providing support in conferencing with ICT and audiovisual equipment as and when requested.
- Creating and assigning work orders.
- Maintaining and updating files (electronic and paper) and internal databases.
- Maintaining ICT inventory, manuals and other documentation. This may require the incumbent to lift, move, mount, or store equipment.
Minimal ICT Administration:
- ICT Associates are accountable for specialized support pertaining to routine ICT activities requiring thorough understanding and application of server, operating system, hardware and software documentation and functionality.
- Installing/upgrading, configuring (routine, standard) and maintaining systems, tools and equipment.
- Assisting in routine operation and monitoring of server systems.
- Providing second-level user support/troubleshooting.
- Extracting data from databases to serve the needs and requests of users, diagnosing errors and correcting as necessary.
- Performing backups of servers following standard backup procedures.
- Assisting in the generation of computer reports.
- Providing on-the-job orientation for users in the use of ICT systems.
Impact of Results:
- The work of ICT Associates impacts on the delivery of routine ICT administration activities that are closely interrelated with the work of other members of the ICT team to which assigned. The work performed affects not only the functionality of fundamental ICT systems, but also the operational efficiency of staff throughout the organization. Indirectly his/her work impacts on delivery of organization-wide programmes.
- ICT Associates also play a key role in providing ICT customer service support (second level) and minimal troubleshooting tasks. The incumbents are routinely involved in working closely with colleagues in ICT on crosscutting issues and with client departments and staff in the handling and resolving of routine as well as minor specialized processes and delivery of ICT services. These relationships are important to ensure that (a) client needs are met expeditiously, (b) ICT systems are functioning as designed and (c) UNICEF's staff are kept aware of new software releases, tools and equipment.
- Good knowledge of UNICEF's ICT regulations, rules and procedures as well as systems and applications.
- Good working knowledge of computer information systems, including micro-computer operating systems software (e.g. Windows), hardware and applications software and other office technology equipment.
- Ability to understand data and effectively use office technology systems for its input and extraction.
- Ability to provide on-the-job orientation to clients.
- Takes responsibility to respond to service needs promptly and proactively.
- Demonstrates a high degree of integrity, reliability and honors matters of confidentiality.
- Ability to handle work quickly and accurately under time constraints.
- Demonstrates courtesy, tact, patience and ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have:
- Completion of Secondary education is required, supplemented with formal training in Computer Science, Information Systems, Telecommunications, Engineering.
- ITIL Foundation Certificate or equivalent customer support certification is an asset.
- A minimum of six years of practical work experience in information technology, requiring systematic methods of troubleshooting and problem solving is required.
- Experience in providing assistance to users on IT products and services, and use of applications and diagnostic tools is required.
- Practical experience in providing technical and business Customer Support and Services is required.
- Practical experience and working knowledge of various computer platforms and applications is required.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN language or local language of the duty station is considered as an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.