Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
Social Media and Communication Officer
- We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
- We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
- We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
- Save the Children is committed to ensuring that all our personnel and programmes are absolutely safe for children.
- We undertake rigorous procedures to ensure that only people suitable to work with children are allowed to join our organisation and all candidates will be therefore be subject to this scrutiny.
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
- The Social Media and Communication Officer will provide guidance and support to staff throughout the country on ensuring appropriate web and social media coverage, documentation and representation of Save the Children’s work in Nigeria.
- The post holder will lead and coordinate the implementing of a range of exciting projects for the team including but not limited to creation of internal and external communications materials (including but not limited to brochures, info graphics, project/programme profiles, videos and newsletters), information management tasks, building a social media profile, leading on member and donor engagement for support to fundraising and visibility of country programmes across SCI, and will oversee the creation of a wide range of communications, media and information content.
- He/she will ensure adherence to Save the Children’s brand, policy as well as procedures and that the rights of families and children are respected in all materials produced and disseminated (voice, photo, video, written).
- S/he will be working in rapid-onset or slow onset/ chronic emergencies. The role is to deliver vital information and communication products that enable excellent coverage and reflection of country programs and responses for the media, key stakeholders, partners and fundraising activities for members and across Save the Children International.
Scope of Role:
- Reports to: Media Manager
- Closely Works With: Director of Advocacy and Campaigns, Information and Communication Coordinator, Advocacy, KM, BCC and Campaign Staff
Key Areas of Accountability
- Raise the profile of Save the Children in Nigeria, both nationally and internationally. Ensure that the branding and communication guidelines of Save the Children are uniformly and consistently followed across the Nigerian Country Office.
- Plan and execute strategic communications (all channels) to increase engagement, visibility and voice for SCI’s programs
- Build engagement and manage social media profiles for SCI to enhance voice, awareness and relevance
- Identify and adapt relevant social media trends to increase engagement
- Identify, escalate and manage issues when required with the support of senior colleagues
- Ensure timely, regular and live updates on existing activities across Nigeria on our various social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram. YouTube and Twitter)
- Engage in social media outreach activities and devise social media toolkits and tweet sheets based on the priorities identified.
- Work closely with the media manager on the production and dissemination of materials for print/online/voice/visual.
Information and Communications:
- Lead on information and communication flows between all in-country programs and a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Produce communications and information materials, such as, brochures, info graphics, project/programme profiles, videos and newsletters etc; to build the Country Response’s visibility and engagement with Save the Children members, Regional Office/Centre, partners and relevant stakeholders to support programmes, advocacy and programmes;
- Produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to emergency situation, campaigns and Save the Children’s response and programmes – including key messages, Q&A’s, briefings and factsheets;
- Oversee the production of community-facing communications materials to support programmes;
- Work with the Knowledge Management focal person on the production of compelling photo stories, case studies and audio-visual materials from the field to highlight Save the Children`s work, including the commissioning of photography and film when required and in line with SCI policies and procedures (all consent on file and available)
- Tailor communication styles to different audiences with responsibility for ensuring terminology, branding and visibility in all materials, and ensure that SCI’s mandate as an impartial, neutral and humanitarian organisation is imparted in all communications;
- Successfully promoting and strengthening the profile of SCI in Nigeria through the social media and other exhibition opportunities
- Work with celebrities and social media influencers to engage strategic audiences
- Evaluate results and impact of communications activities
- Ensure that relevant programs have communication plans, oversee and support the implementation of communications plans;
- Build the capacity of partner organizations’ for communications, as well as ensuring any joint communications projects are in-line with SCI policies and standards, including branding and visibility;
Building and maintaining effective relationships:
- Sourcing out Celebrities with high presence on Social Media and engaging them for strategic communications.
- Identifying and engaging communications consultants in Nigeria with support from the procurement and logistics department.
- Improve internal communications at the country, regional and global level and ensure updates are produced and circulated highlighting successes and sharing best practices.
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Graduated with Degree in Communication, Journalism or Public Relations from a recognized higher educational institution
- A minimum of 2 years work experience, preferably in similar positions in INGOs in Nigeria
- Proven experience of developing and managing the production of communications materials for INGOs or other similar organisations. Can produce accurate, clear and consistent information and communication outputs relating to both programme support and humanitarian situation - including key messages, Q&A’s and factsheets, case studies, press releases, media statements, briefs etc.;
- Evidence of excellent English verbal and written communication skills for a wide range of different audiences including donors, partners and the ‘general public’. Ability to strategically target a wide-range of audiences is essential.
- Excellent relationship building skills;
- Creativity and desire to learn
- The ability to deliver in high-pressure situations, with changing deadlines and priorities;
- Experience in leading information and communication flows between a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Ability to gather case studies, testimonies and information on different programmes. Excellent IT skills, especially in Powerpoint, Sharepoint, social media analytics, and experience with design softwares such as Photoshop is an advantage;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and discretion. Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy;
- An initiative-taking, proactive, inspiring attitude with the ability to manage and prioritise an unpredictable workload and solve problems quickly with limited support;
- Ability to fact check, proofread, edit and draft materials;
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment and interest in Save the Children's mission, vision and values. In particular, a good understanding of Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Creates a managerial environment within the communications team to lead, enable and maintain our culture of child safeguarding
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
- Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a country and global scale
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to; builds and maintains effective relationships with colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity and different people’s perspectives, able to work cross-culturally.
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency, builds trust and confidence
- Displays consistent excellent judgement
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as it is contrary to the values and practices of our organization.
- Due to the volume of applications received, Save the Children may not provide feedback to all applicants. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Qualified candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible, as applications will be reviewed as received. Save the Children reserves the right to change the closing date, if considered necessary.