BBC Media Action was founded in 1999 by the BBC as its international development charity. We apply the editorial standards of the BBC, build on its values and often work closely with the BBC World Service and other BBC departments. However, we are legally and financially independent and work to a distinct mission. Originally known as BBC World Service Trust we changed our name to BBC Media Action in December 2011.
Assistant Producer - Factual
Department: Production & Training
Reports to: Senior Producer - Factual
Start Date: Immediate
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- The Assistant Producer will help plan, conduct, record, and edit interviews, discussions and other content for BBC Media Action’s factual radio and TV productions.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Producer - Factual, plan, conduct and record interviews and other content around Nigeria on a wide variety of topics.
- Edit interviews and other content to meet programme needs, ensuring that finished items are delivered on deadline.
- Work with other members of the Production & Training team to ensure that all recordings and content meet BBC editorial guidelines.
- Contribute across the range of editorial/production activities within the Production & Training team, ensuring high journalistic standards and compliance with BBC editorial guidelines at all times.
- Develop a broad understanding of major development and social/economic issues and trends across Nigeria.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience planning, conducting, recording and editing interviews and other factual media content for radio, TV or digital platforms.
- Good writing, interviewing, and technical recording skills.
- Experience originating and developing engaging, original programme ideas.
- Evidence of a strong interest in governance, development, and socio-economic issues in Nigeria.
- Excellent Pidgin and/or Hausa language skills are desirable.
- Evidence of a passion for using media as a tool to positively impact audiences.
- Ability to develop a high standard of editorial judgement.
- Ability to keep an open mind on a range of diverse opinions and experiences, and to work closely with a diverse team.
- The ability to cope with fast-changing situations within a pressurized environment.
- A willingness to engage in team working and a high level of interpersonal skills.
- Ability to travel around Nigeria for up to several weeks at a time.
- A sharp awareness of the needs and interests of a national audience.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Decision Making - Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Editorial Judgement - Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Planning and Organisation - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the face of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading - Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV's and Capability Statements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position applied for clearly stated as subject of email.
Click here for more information
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.