- The purpose of this role is to ensure the efficient, effective operational co-ordination and delivery Exams. and Projects at the right cost and customer experience.
- The role is to support B2C and B2B Customers on operational, system and technical issues and report issues and resolutions to the Operations Manager and/or Account Relationship Manager, as required to ensure quality services.
- The English and Examinations Strategic Business Unit (E&E) is one of three strategic business units in the British Council (the others being Arts and Education & Society) all of which have the remit to build trust for the people of the UK by building relationships through aspects of our language and culture.
- E&E achieves this by enabling people across the world to access the life-changing education and work opportunities that are created by learning English or gaining valuable UK qualifications. Promoting the English language also provides a medium for communication, helping break down barriers of misunderstanding or mistrust between cultures.
- The British Council’s 2020 vision for English & Examinations is to be the world authority in high quality English language teaching, learning and assessment, as well as the International distributor of choice for UK professional and school qualifications.
- The Examinations business makes a significant contribution to British Council financial sustainability, and as such, it is essential that the business evolves in order to maintain its position in a fast-changing operating context.
- There is a need to standardise and automate activities across the globe to deliver efficiencies, and there is also a requirement to develop new digital products and services to meet changing customer demands and competitive pressures. In a cost and resource-constrained environment, balancing the on-going requirements and allocation of funds will be critical, as will the integration and planning of the implementation of the different changes across a global network of 110+ countries charged with the on-going delivery of impact and income whilst changing key elements of the supporting operational platform.
Main opportunities/challenges for this role
- There is a new Global Operating Model for Exams being implemented across the business and this role will be key to ensuring delivery of our exams operations at test centre level, working with new systems and processes and ensuring that new ways of working are taken up and adhered to.
- Actively engaging and supporting the transition to computer based testing for some of our products
- Acting to resolve connectivity issues on the ground and escalate when required
- Planning for contingencies
- Serving as a key point of contact to Exams operational team and account management staff to ensure correct set up of equipment such as speakers, headsets, etc. are adequate for test day delivery. Serving as an ‘expert’ for team colleagues.
- Moving toward increasing the B2B customer split
Product Service Support:
- Provides technical assistance leading up to and on Test Day
- Project management and vendor management to ensure procurement, regular servicing and readiness of use of IT related equipment to ensure smooth delivery of exam services.
- Ensures technical compliance of equipment and connectivity at test venues
- Acts as ‘help desk’ to venue staff and customers / candidates
- Maintains accurate records and drafts routine and some non-standard documentation, reports or financial analysis/reconciliations.
- Performs straightforward analysis, manipulation and interpretation of data, tasks or information, presenting findings/results accurately and appropriately to support effective maintenance of management information systems.
Relationship & stakeholder management:
- Supporting continuous improvement in the efficiency/cost effectiveness/quality of service delivery/systems in the unit or department
- Proactively work with Operations Manager to deliver satisfactory and timely resolution of customer (internal or external) complaints, coordinating input from other team members as required.
- Ensures the customer is kept informed throughout the process.
- Develops good working relationships and engagement with Venue Staff and appropriate colleagues throughout the BC to facilitate effective and efficient service delivery.
- Act as point of contact and manage escalated issues in country from Venue Supervisors and Venues, supported by Operations Manager when required.
Risk & Compliance:
- Undertake contingency and risk management on the ground, liaise with Local IT, Examiner or Venue Staff to ensure alignment on communications
- Supports in providing support related to compliance or investigations on Test Day and related issues.
- Follows agreed corporate risk management processes and procedures when delivering services (e.g. child protection, security policies, financial protocols, anti-fraud measures) to protect the interests of the BC and its customers at all times.
Analysis & Reporting:
- Uses standard procedures and templates, regularly records, analyses and reports on operational activity such as venue staff performance to support senior managers in making timely and effective business decisions that respond to operational needs.
- Supports wash-up meetings to review Test Day performance delivery, continual improvement and corrective actions
Managing self & others:
- Plans and prioritises own work activities, which span across a range of different work streams, responding to changing and at times competing requirements to ensure effective delivery of responsibilities over a weekly/monthly time horizon.
- Tasks and coordinates others (e.g. internal colleagues or external contractors/suppliers) to complete time-limited, straightforward activities, within established procedures, in order to ensure efficient delivery of services. Monitors task completion to agreed quality and time standards.
- Operations Manager, Operations Planning Manager and Operations Pool Manager and respective operational teams
- CMR and Logistics Team and Technical Support
- Exams colleagues in business development and account management
- Business Assurance
- Customer Service
- Finance and Resources Team
- Local IT/GSD Services
- Customers (Candidates, Schools Partners, Exam Body representatives)
- Key Accounts Representatives
- External Vendors
- Venue Proprietors.
- Passport requirements/ Right to work in country: Existing right to live and work in Nigeria
- Assessment stage: Shortlisting
- Direct contact or managing staff working with children? - No.
Minimum / essential:
- Assessment stage: Shortlisting and interview
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Shortlisted candidates will need to demonstrate that they meet the required standard through the APTIS test which will be administered as part of the recruitment and selection exercise.
- University degree in any subject.
Minimum / essential:
- Experience in customer service environment
- Experience of and ability to deliver excellent standards of customer service
- Excellent computer skills
- Understanding and experience of risk and compliance management
- Possess IT skills.
- Experience of supporting on delivery of computer- based exams
- Experience working in exams.
British Council Core Skills
Communicating and influencing (level 1):
- Communicates clearly and effectively:
- Listens to others and expresses self clearly, with grammatical accuracy and awareness of a diverse audience in speaking and writing.
Managing projects (level 1):
- Follows project management disciplines:
- Works with project management systems and procedures and has a track record of compliance with them as a project team member.
Planning and organising (level 1 / 2):
- Is methodical:
- Able to plan own work over short timescales for routine or familiar tasks and processes.
British Council Behaviours
- Connecting with others (Essential):
- Making regular opportunities to understand others better
Working together (Essential):
- Ensuring that others benefit as well as me
Making it happen (Essential):
- Delivering clear results for the British Council
Being Accountable (Essential):
- Delivering my best work in order to meet my commitments