Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Location: Monguno, Borno
Start date: As Soon As Possible
Direct Line Manager: Senior Multisectoral Program Manager
- Provide high-quality project management, technical advice and leadership in Health and Nutrition Program
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Lead collaboration across the project technical teams to identify, analyse, formulate, and implement activities to strengthen key systems (leadership, logistics, and information systems) that support the delivery of high-quality health and nutrition services.
- Provide technical guidance to the health and nutrition team for Supply Chain Management, identifying evidence-based approaches that are contextually appropriate to reform the overall ACF Health Commodity Supply System.
- In collaboration with the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordination team identify short and long-term technical assistance required for the successful implementation of the planned nutrition and Health activities.
- Coordinate with other partners and support efforts to address health system strengthening gaps and help build technical capacity within the ACF health and nutrition team as well as the SMOH/SPHCDA in the supported LGAs.
- Manage and Organize Nutrition and Health project staff development programs in collaboration with other technical and operations department
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Provide technical support including leadership, monitoring, motivation and management of the health and Nutrition technical team,
- Conduct regular evaluation of the skills levels and technical competences of the ACF health and nutrition teams in performing their assigned duties
- Support the Training and sector Managers in identifying and harmonizing training needs as well as ensuring the quality and pertinence of training programs established for the ACF teams
- Manage the project cycle in nutrition and health
- Ensure that the health and nutrition teams meet the objectives of ACF in supporting the targeted areas in both nutrition and health response
- Ensure that the services provided by the health and Nutrition team are adequate and meet the basic needs of the affected communities
- To Develop strategies and support operations
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- In collaboration with the Regional Nutrition and Coordination, support the development of strategies addressing the problems linked to poor health and malnutrition in the Northeast region
- Coordinate and support the smooth implementation of planned nutrition and health activities
- Ensure that the nutrition and health sections of the project implementation reports include critical analysis and technical sounds
- Contribute through coordinating with the project team in the development of the nutrition and health sections for future proposals when required
- To appropriately represent ACF and develop local partnerships
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Disseminate the information collected to the key partners when required
- Ensure positive collaboration and quality relations with partners
- To produce timely and quality reports
Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Support and provide technical backstopping to the M&E and program teams during the completion of the monthly reports, specifically those linked to nutrition and health in the project areas.
- Ensure submission of reports on any training session and/or workshop organized by the Health and Nutrition unit.
- Ensure that all technical reports for external release are validated by relevant line Managers including the Regional Nutrition and Health Coordinators, Nutrition and Health HOD, DCD program, Technical Advisor.
- Produce high-quality activity progress report on monthly bases
- Contribute to the donors' reports: interim and final reports as required
Internal & External Relationship
- MSPM: Direct supervision – exchange of information, work plan
- Nutrition and Health Regional Coordinators: Technical supervision, exchange of information, technical support, validation of information, work plan
- Nutrition and Health HOD: Exchange of information, technical support, validation of information,
- Deputy Director: technical support, exchange of information
- Other PM and Nutrition team: exchange of information, coordination.
- Support team: exchange of information, collaboration and coordination.
- SPHCDA, State Nutrition/Health Officer, SMOH: exchange of information, coordination.
- LGA Team/Health facility team/Community leaders: exchange of information, coordination.
- Nutrition Sector/UNICEF/UNFPA: Coordination and exchange of information
- Master Degree in the Health Sciences, Epidemiology or Public Health, Nutrition, or related field
- Bachelor’s degree in Health &Nutrition with extensive experience or field related/relevant to international H&N work
- At least 3 years of proven experience in Managing Health and Nutrition projects, research and surveys as well as humanitarian work
Skills and Experience
- Excellent Reporting and analytical skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Good management and representation competencies
- Excellent in influencing and negotiation skills
- Proven technical knowledge and capacity to lead the implementation of H&N activities, projects, programs
- Good understanding of links between emergency and development programs,
- Strong planning and organizational skills;
- Ability to manage budgets, understand financial accountability procedures, logistics, and commodity tracking.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and to deal with problems and issues both promptly and efficiently.
- Strong understanding of Health Management Information System, Health Surveillance, monitoring and evaluation methods.
- Experience in nutrition program management in emergency set-up including proposal writing, project budget management, reporting and training provision
- Knowledge of Health assessment and KAP methodologies will be of added value.
- Willing for frequent travel to mentor and monitor activities.
- Easily acculturate with remote areas living conditions
- Ability to absorb and manage workloads and stresses without affecting the quality of the deliverables.
- Computer and IT expertise highly.
- Experience in donor reporting e.g. ECHO, EU, UN Agencies, OFDA/USAID preferred,
- Experience in hardship postings/complex emergencies, with proven leadership experience; able to work in a fluid and insecure area; Maturity and ability to adjust to harsh living conditions
Minimum Monthly Basic Salary: NGN 424,310 per Month
go to method of application »
Details: TERMS OF REFERENCE
Independent Study for Action Against Hunger’s Intervention
SUPPORT TO JIGAWA STATE GOVERNMENT TO DEVELOP LOCAL RESOURCE MOBILIZATION STRATEGY FOR NUTRITION
Project and Study Summary Table
Reference of the Assessment
Working to Improve Nutrition in Northern Nigeria-WINNN
Health and Nutrition
Donor & Contribution/s
Mission administering the Project
Action Against Hunger Nigeria
Responsible ACF HQ
Action Against Hunger France
Consultancy for the Development of Local Resource Mobilization Strategy for Nutrition
Rationale for the Project
With initial engagement from State and Federal Government on the inclusion of nutrition into the political agenda and policy implementation, we are at a critical juncture in institutionalising and integrating nutrition into government systems, processes and embedding political commitment. The WINNN team are well positioned to support full institutionalisation to enable nutrition to get broad recognition and acceptance, enhance the progress made to date and secure the legacy of DFID’s investment to date.
The overall vision for WINNN post-March 2019 is to enhance government capacity to use its own resources to implement nutrition interventions. As such, the WINNN team have examined the drivers and obstacles to achieve this, taking into consideration the available period (12 months) and gaps/needs analysis above. The following proposed activities look to enhance government ownership, influence government policy, build human and institutional capacity and improve budgetary commitment and release for nutrition.
Geographical scope covered by the Analysis
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF THE STUDY
Objectives of the study
- The specific Objective of the assessment is to provide
- The overall purpose of the consultancy is to provide technical support to government stakeholders on local resource mobilization for nutrition and to establish a clear overview of current and potential funding opportunities for nutrition for the state.
- To facilitate a five days’ technical workshop to the Jigawa State Government stakeholders on Local Resource Mobilization (LRM) for Health and Nutrition as well as to support them to design a clear roadmap for potential local resource mobilization with clear accountability strategy and sustainability plan.
- To support the Jigawa State Government stakeholders to design local resource mobilization strategy for Health and Nutrition with a proposed results and action oriented action plan in response to the emerging opportunities and challenges particularly on malnutrition.
- To conduct situational assessment through SWOT analysis in order to support the Government stakeholders to maximize the Strengths and Opportunities and minimize Weakness and Threats with regards to nutrition sector in the State.
Profile of the Consultant
- Higher degree in relevant field including development studies, public health, social sciences, political science
- Proven successful track record in local resource mobilization and fundraising.
- At least five years’ experience working in the development sector or health system
- Previous work experience on health financing
- Extensive experience in data management and analysis, including proficient control of MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Sound and mature understanding of rights-based approaches to development and participatory concepts and practical experience in similar context.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties with tact and diplomacy.
- Ability to communicate efficiently (oral and written).
- The ability to work closely in a team, to be patient, adaptable, flexible and able to improvise and work in an environment that is often stressful.
- Excellent command of the English language
- Understanding of Nigeria public health system is required
- Understanding of Nigeria political dynamics is required
- Experience working with INGO is an advantage
- Qualified and interested parties are asked to submit the following:
- Letter of interest and a CV of the consultant
- Evidence of previous experience in similar assignments and qualifications outlined in this ToR
- A detailed outline of how the assignment will be accomplished (Methodology)
- Detailed financial cost
- Date of availability
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Note: Qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.