If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
IITA is an international non-profit agricultural research-for-development (R4D) organization established in 1967, governed by a Board of Trustees, and a member of the CGIAR Consortium. Our R4D approach is anchored on the development needs of tropical nations. We work with partners to enhance crop quality and productivity, reduce producer and consumer risks, and generate wealth from agriculture. We have more than 100 internationally recruited scientists from about 35 countries and 900 nationally recruited staff based in various stations across Africa.
The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) invites applications for the position of Postdoctoral Fellow, Yam Tissue Culture in a project funded by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
In coordination with the Yam breeder:
- Refine the procedures to use effective tissue culture techniques to improve interspecific hybridization of yam.
- Develop and validate a protocol for production of haploid plants in yam.
- Improve in vitro micropropagation protocols in yam.
- Manage team, finances, and the procurement of lab equipment and supplies for the project.
- Contribute to training of staff and students working at the Bioscience center of IITA.
- Publish research findings.
- Ensure research planning and design.
- Report activities and results using templates from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan.
- Facilitate communication between IITA and Japanese government.
- The candidate should have a Ph.D. (or expected Ph.D. by March 2014) in Agriculture/Horticulture/Plant breeding/Biotechnology/Molecular Biology/Biochemistry/Plant Science or related field.
- Good knowledge and experience in plant tissue culture.
- Knowledge of plant breeding.
- Demonstrated ability to write and publish journal articles.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary and multi-cultural environment.
- Good knowledge of Japanese is required for writing project reports in Japanese.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
- The contract is for a period of one year from 1st April 2014 (flexible).
- This is renewable subject to continued availability of funding.
- IITA offers a competitive remuneration package paid in US dollars.
Method of Application
Applications must include covering letter which should address how the candidate’s background/experience relates to the specific duties of the position applied for, curriculum vitae, names and addresses of three professional referees (which must include either the Head of the applicant’s current or previous organization or applicant’s direct Supervisor/Superior at his/herpresent or former place of work). The application should be addressed to the Head, Human Resources Service.
Please complete our online application form by Clicking here to apply online.