If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Save the Children is a leading international organization helping children in need around the world. First established in the UK in 1919, separate national organizations have been set up in more than twenty-eight countries, sharing the aim of improving the lives of children through education, health care and economic opportunities, as well as emergency aid in cases of natural disasters, war and conflict.
In Nigeria, Save the Children has been working since 2001. The early focus was on getting children actively involved in shaping the decisions that affect their lives. Today, Save the Children is working in seven federal states - Zamfara, Yobe, Jigawa, Katsina, Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna - focusing on providing basic healthcare and protecting children.
- The Knowledge Management Advisor will have responsibility for KM work related to the Child Development Grant Programme (CDGP). The CDGP is a nutrition sensitive social protection programme in North West Nigeria funded by UKAID.
- The programme provides monthly cash transfers plus nutrition education and support to pregnant women from the moment their pregnancy is confirmed until the child reaches the age of 2 years, targeting the 1st thousand days of a child’s life.
- The CDGP is entering its last year of implementation and focused on garnering evidence and lessons from the programme, developing products from this evidence and sharing with stakeholders within Nigeria and Internationally.
- The Advisor will lead Knowledge Management activities across the programme using different approaches in order to influence a wide variety of government, donor, media and community stakeholders and share evidence and case studies from the programme implementation.
- The Advisor will work closely with technical staff in Abuja and state teams to develop compelling materials to support advocacy, communications and KM efforts with identified Government stakeholders and other external agencies.
- As well as the externally facing responsibilities, the role will also have internal accountability for ensuring strong systems are in place to communicate with the different staff and partners involved in implementing the programme and also support other Country Office related programmes.
Key Areas of Accountability
Documentation/Reports (External and Internal):
- Develop compelling KM materials for the project based on lessons learned and experiences from the project for print and online.
- Facilitate in the preparation of timely programme reports (monthly, quarterly and annual) for TTC, PMT , SCI Members and the donor, ensuring utmost quality in collaboration with M&E and other technical staff.
- Lead the development of case studies and briefs for the project and ensure that these meet Save the Children child safeguarding policies.
- Work closely with the NPM to ensure that DFID visibility and branding guidelines are adhered to where relevant and appropriate to the context.
- Explore opportunities to communicate about the project with a wide variety of state and national level stakeholders, using innovative methods.
- Produce reports, briefing papers and presentations for internal and external audiences, as directed. Ensure strong procedures are set in place to document programme learning.
- Support internal communications about the project with SCI Nigeria and Save the Children member and head offices.
- Review key messages points, press releases, and other media materials produced by the programme, ensuring compliance to agreed protocols.
Knowledge Management Strategy Development and Implementation:
- Formulate key messages and targets from lessons learned, assessments, research and evidence gained through CDGP project implementation and wider analysis.
- Support development of KM strategy for the CDGP focusing on short and long term objectives and related to wider issues on social protection and nutrition in collaboration with the relevant Technical staff
- Keep a watching brief on policy makers and other key players in relation to social protection and nutrition issues and identify opportunities to raise awareness and influence policy change.
- Identify and maximise opportunities to raise the visibility and profile of the programme, both internationally and in-country.
Collaboration & Representation:
- Develop and maintain a network of external contacts with key individuals in the government, NGO sector, civil society and the media.
- Build the capacity of staff from Save the Children and partner agencies in KM and communications.
- Liaise closely with staff in the Advocacy and Campaign unit at Save the Children CO and Headquarters and coordinate with Save the Children UK and other Save the Children members.
- Undertake a range of KM activities to inform and persuade policy makers, including donors and politicians, of the value of Save the Children’s policy recommendations.
- Support the CDGP systems for research, analysis and documentation that underpin evidence based KM and influencing at state and national levels.
Skills and Behaviours (our Values in Practice)
- Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
- Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved
- Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves (and their team), takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages others to do the same
- Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
- Future orientated, thinks strategically.
- Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
- Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
- Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to
- Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
- Willing to take disciplined risks
- Honest, encourages openness and transparency
Qualifications and Experience
- High degree of analytical skill, ability to influence and ability to develop KM materials effectively and convincingly to a diverse audience at state, national and international levels
- University degree in Social Sciences or Communications or a related field.
- Substantial experience in KM, advocacy and policy development / research.
- Good understanding of the possibilities and tactics for influencing decision and policy makers, politicians, donors, and other key actors.
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with partner agencies and key contacts in the government, NGO, civil society and media sectors.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to effectively handle multiple tasks and meet strict deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, flexibility, adaptability and ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Ability to travel extensively in the country, including northern states (Jigawa and Zamfara especially).
- Good computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, email / internet).
- Fluent English language skills (written and verbal).
- Commitment to the values, mission, aims and policies of Save the Children.
- Experience in training others in Communications/KM techniques and influencing tactics.
- Prior work experience in knowledge management in Nigeria.
- Knowledge of the policies, functions, structures and decision-making processes of key national institutions with regard to child Nutrition or Development.
- Experience working with children on Health and Nutrition will be an added advantage.
- Local language skills (Ability to communicate in Hausa and other local languages will be an advantage).
go to method of application »
Job Id: sav-99394
- This role provides professional technical, communications and administrative support to the Nutrition team. The Post holder will develop and maintain high quality mobile applications for the Alive & Thrive (A & T) and WINNN programme.
- He/She is expected to collaborate with implementation teams to develop functional mobile applications, while working in a fast-paced department as well as provide critical support to data/information management and communications activities, assisting the A & T team by developing and implementing an appropriate communications products and outputs for the team.
- The incumbent will work closely with the A & T team both in the States and Country Office, to plan communications, logistics and administrative needs and also in meeting documentations, compilation and filing of Project reports and other relevant Project documents.
- The post holder will support the entire application lifecycle (concept, design, test, release and support), produce fully functional mobile applications, gather user requirements and suggest solutions, Troubleshoot and debug applications to optimize performance. Design interfaces (plan new features) to improve user experience in collaboration with the Nutrition and IT teams.
- He/She will ensure that new and legacy applications meet quality standards, research and suggest new mobile products, applications and protocols based on acceptability and usage from implementation sites while staying up-to-date with new technology trends.
- S/he will be responsible for implementing and developing a variety of communications pieces including email announcements, communications and training materials as agreed.
Scope of Role
- The post holder will report to Head of Nutrition (direct) IT Manager (matrix) and work closely with the WINNN programme team (namely DPM) and A&T (namely PM and Sr SBCC Officer) as well as the SNA.
Key Deliverables Include
- Lead the design and roll out of the A&T IPC component through mobile phones
- Support the state teams on the use of mobile phone technology for IPC and reporting
- Ensure IT support for the project and users
- Documentation of minutes of Project related meeting.
- Compilation and filing of Project reports and other relevant Project documents.
- Support the design and development of communication and visibility materials in accordance with the standards of Alive and Thrive.
- Support the procurement of data tools and communication materials and distribution to the States, such as raising Procurement Requests, participating in tender meetings, following up with the logistics team on progress of procurement.
- Support the preparation and implementation of events with the Admin and Logistics teams as the case may be.
- Support processing payment for consultants and other payments as directed by the line manager
- Support travel arrangements for Alive and Thrive team, Partners sponsored by SCI
- Administrative and Logistics support to the team as requested.
The job duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the Post holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
Qualifications Experience and Skills
- B.Sc degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- Proven work experience as a Mobile developer
- Demonstrable portfolio of released applications
- In-depth knowledge of at least one programming language like Swift and Java
- Experience with third-party libraries and APIs
- Familiarity with OOP design principles
- Excellent analytical skills with a good problem-solving attitude
- Ability to perform in a team environment
- Understanding of communications and staff engagement within a high profile global organisation utilising a range of new and traditional media.
- Good communication skills (verbal and written) and displays the potential for distilling complex information and materials into digestible and inspiring messages.
- Excellent organisational skills. Ability to manage a large workload in a pressured environment, working to short and long term objectives and tight deadlines. Attention to detail and ability to follow tasks and ideas through to completion.
- A high degree of flexibility and adaptability in order to respond to changing needs.
- Experience in drafting communications materials such as emails, newsletter content, internet content, etc.
- Understanding of NGO operations.
- Demonstrable experience working with various social media.
- Competency in Microsoft Office, design software and other digital tools.
- Proactive approach to work and the ability to identify and implement effective processes for achieving outcomes.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to the Save the Children values.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.