Oxfam is convinced that people have the power to end poverty. All they need is an opportunity. Oxfam is committed to make sure everyone gets that chance. That is why we support local projects in developing countries, why we lobby governments and companies to listen to the poorest people, and why we campaign to involve both men and women in our work. Oxfam is a confederation of 17 organizations that works together to increase the impact of its long term development and humanitarian responses.
Location: Damboa, Borno
Grade Level: D2
Reporting Lines: International Education Team Leader
Staff Reporting to this Post: Education Officer, Education Assistants
Duration: Eight (8) months with possibility of extension
- To support implementation of an Education in Emergency pilot project in Damboa, Borno State, Nigeria including planning and organising the education project with stakeholders and supporting communities affected by emergencies, mobilising them to act in support of rebuilding education.
- Work in collaboration with other teams (e.g. EFSVL, protection, PHP) to create synergy and efficiency.
The post holder shall work closely with the Programme Manager Oxfam Damboa and co-lead with an International Education Team Leader (IETL) to build up the EIE pilot project in Damboa and form a small Education Team. Under supervision of the IETL and with support from the Programme Manager Oxfam Damboa the post holder shall:
- Implement and monitor the education pilot project in the North-Eastern Nigerian emergency contexts.
- Play a strong leadership role within the education team in area of response, managing an education team and working closely with Partner staff, where applicable.
- Start implementation of the education pilot project, including selection of learners and teachers in collaboration with communities and Authorities;
- Working in close collaboration with other sector colleagues to ensure that technical and social aspects of the programming (e.g. protection, public health promotion, water engineering and food security and livelihoods) are closely coordinated to maximise the potential for cohesive programmin
- Involve women and men from the affected populations in the assessment, planning, implementation and monitoring of education activities and play a key role in ensuring that communities are informed and consulted about Oxfam’s work and have opportunities to give their views on, and influence programme activities.
- Work with others to ensure that gender and protection issues are addressed in the education initiatives and encourage mainstreaming of gender and protection into education programming by increasing knowledge of the staff, community structures and beneficiary communities through trainings/awareness raising activities and incorporating gender data in program monitoring and design
- Contribute towards future planning and proposal writing in order to provide clear objectives and establish indicators for monitoring and evaluating the programme including indicators relating to participation and gender and to support continuation of education interventions.
- Contribute to programme advocacy by ensuring that local community views and experiences influence national advocacy initiatives.
- To take on any roles assigned as agreed with the PM and the International Education Team Leader, in line with Oxfam Goals.
- Support capacity building of Oxfam staff and potential partners. Contribute to the joint facilitation of inter-agency training initiatives where appropriate.
- If applicable, support the country team to build the resilience of communities to disasters focusing on DRR and more self-sustaining approaches to education.
- Ensuring the education team are working closely and proactively with the MEAL, logistics and finance teams and adhering to required procedures in implementing program activities on a timely, transparent and accountable manner.
- Work closely with the MEAL/IM team to support regular data collection and filing in of activity reports on EIE.
Skills and Experience
- University Degree in a Pedagogic or Education discipline or comparable addition to experience or a suitable mix of qualification and experience in any discipline relating to Education or Social science. Experience could substitute for a formal qualification, but not vice versa
- Demonstrable experience (minimum 2 years) in working with communities in Education in Emergencies or development contexts
- Capacity and willingness to regularly travel to the field locations where Oxfam operates Very good interpersonal skills, particularly in networking, working with communities, local civil society and local authorities.
- Proven analytical, planning, organisation and planning skills, as well as the ability to take initiative and identify priority areas for work.
- Ability to prioritize and commitment to meet deadlines
- Have the capacity to come up with innovative ideas.
- Ability to work in the field in potentially contentious situations with local community leaders and partners and draw on local knowledge.
- The post holder should be at ease in working with local people. Well developed interpersonal, team skills and proven ability to be flexible in demanding situations, rapid changing circumstances and wide-ranging roles and responsibilities.
- The ability to present concise reports, sometimes at short notice, reflecting the problems and possible solutions for particular situations.
- Knowledge of assessment and reporting methods. Ability to manage time effectively.
- Good spoken and written English essential. Speaks local language.
- Computer knowledge and skills of using Microsoft word, power point and excel.
- Previous experience in using and application of INEE standards and Child Protection Minimum Standards.
- Good understanding of protection concerns, including GBV issues in displacement, human rights, and international humanitarian law.
- Previous experience in child protection within a humanitarian response Previous experience with teaching and Child Friendly Spaces management Experience in working in Borno/Adamawa.
- Demonstrable experience in using participatory research and participatory assessment methodologies.
- Understanding of local dialects (Kanuri, Hausa or Margghi)
go to method of application »
Location: To be determined (Abuja or Maiduguri with extensive travels to any of these destinations)
Job Family: Programme
Reporting Line: Campaigns Manager
Grade Level :D2
Duration: Eight (8) months with possibility of extension
- To work with others to find lasting solutions to poverty and suffering
- The Humanitarian Advocacy Officer will be part of the Campaign, Policy, Advocacy and Media team whose main purpose is to advocate for civilians’ rights in the North-East of Nigeria, through ensuring access to life-saving humanitarian assistance with dignity and in safety, protection of civilians (including gender-based violence) and addressing drivers of conflict.
- To deliver Oxfam advocacy efforts to respond to the humanitarian crisis in the North-East of Nigeria under the supervision of the Lake Chad Basin Policy Lead and accordingly to the Lake Chad Basin Campaign Strategy’s objectives.
- The post holder will work with Oxfam’s programme staff and partners in country, contributing to Oxfam’s national and regional advocacy efforts. Focus areas include ensuring that the people in areas affected by the humanitarian crisis can access life-saving humanitarian aid and are protected from violence.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Strategy and Advocacy Development:
- Lead the development of strategic plans for advocacy on humanitarian and conflict-related issues in Nigeria, working closely with programme teams
- Monitor and analyse humanitarian issues in country and report updates to the campaigns team and to the broader humanitarian program team through regular updates and briefing notes
- Under the supervision of the policy lead, support the development and delivery of policy products (talking points, policy papers, briefings, letters…) and ensure that policy messages are in line with Oxfam’s global positions and strategic priorities and grounded in programme realities
- Support the establishment of research and/or data collection for evidence based advocacy
- Advise and brief Oxfam colleagues ahead of external meetings or in decision-making fora
Advocacy and External Relations:
- Represent Oxfam at external meetings and build relationships with key targets in the UN INGOs and government bodies
- Develop a strong network of trusted relationships among federal and state authorities and institutions involved in the humanitarian response
- Define key advocacy messages to be shared on behalf of Oxfam with key decision makers in Nigeria
- Work closely with media colleagues to support policy analysis and information into media and social media products
Support national civil society organizations:
- Develop a strategy to work with and support federal and national civil society organizations to advocate on the humanitarian situation in North-East Nigeria
- Build long-term relationship with civil society organizations
- Provide training on advocacy tactics and strategy as required
- Support advocacy efforts of civil society organizations accordingly to the strategy
- Establish and strengthen CSO networking and advocacy coordination
Contribute to Oxfam’s National, Regional and Global Advocacy efforts:
- Support the development and implementation of the Lake Chad Basin Campaign Strategy as required
- Coordinate advocacy efforts through regular communication with Lake Chad Basin advocacy officers
- Contribute through case studies, examples and analysis to Oxfam global policy debates
- Any other task as assigned and in collaboration with the Policy Lead.
Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Political Science/International Affairs/Social Science, Humanitarian Action, Peace and Conflict or related subjects. Advanced degree in related field is an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years work experience in advocacy, research, policy, lobbying, media work or public campaigning
- Substantial work experience in humanitarian contexts, including policy development, advocacy and networking
- Understanding of humanitarian response, conflict resolution strategies and international human rights/humanitarian law
- Experience of independently driving and advocacy development and managing delivery of advocacy strategies
- Strong understanding of the Nigerian political context and the humanitarian context in the North-East of the country
- Experience applying gender analysis and accountability standards in designing advocacy for women, girls, boys and men
- Experience in working with civil society organizations
- Strong conceptual and analytical skills, and ability to think and operate independently, creatively and strategically
- Excellent representational and lobbying skills and experience of advocacy with senior decision-makers: persuasive, diplomatic and articulate
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English. Ability to write substantial in depth analysis
- Ability to work under pressure to meet tight or unexpected deadlines, to be flexible in work areas, to work unsociable hours as necessary and to be responsive to changing needs
- Proven collaborative and team player; ability to adapt and work in an international team
- Strong organisational qualities
- Willingness and ability to travel (time outside of duty station estimated at 50%)
- “Oxfam is an equal–opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc.”
Click here to download more information (PDF)
Method of Application
Applicants should forward their application letters and Curriculum Vitae as one attachment in English to: Ebeze.email@example.com with the position title as the subject of your email.
- Females are strongly encouraged to apply
- Prospective candidate must be available and willing to commence work in a month after applying
- Applications sent in the required format will be considered and only short-listed candidates will be contacted
- Oxfam is an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, etc.”
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale