Medical Research Council (MRC) Unit, The Gambia - We are the leading research centre in sub-Saharan Africa, carrying out internationally competitive research into tropical medicine for over 50 years. Our current research agenda focuses on three themes: Disease Control & Elimination; Nutrition; Vaccines & Immunity. Looking towards the future. we are aiming to push forward into new and challenging areas. refiecflng changes in national and global health priorities.
- The Clinical Services Department at Fajara runs a 42-bed ward devoted to the care of acute paediatric and adult medical cases and a busy out patient department seeing over 50, 000 patients a year.
- The ward and OPO are staffed by well qualified nursing and auxiliary staff and there is a high staff to patient ratio The serace is supported by a GCLP and ISO 15189 accredited clinical laboratory offering a 24/7 service and an excellent radiology department with digital x ray contrast studies ultrasound an& echocardiography.
- An on-site endoscopy suite enables us to complete upper Gl endoscopy and bronchoscopies.
- Malaria, tuberculosis, acute respiratory infections, HIV and non-communicable diseases such as asthma, nutritional disorders, renal diseases, cardiovascular disease and hepatocellular carcinoma are all very common. There are no facilities for managing either surgical or obslethc cases.
- The post holder wit support the Head of Clinical Services who is responsible for the Units Clinical Services at the main station at Fajara and the upcountry Field Stations and has overall responsibility for the health care of all MRCG personnel approximately 1000) and their immediate families
- S/he will also work closely with the Head of Clinical Services in overseeing the out patient and in-patient facilities, the development and training of clinically qualified and clinical support staff as well as in the training of students from the University of The Gambia Medical School.
- The department has implemented an electronic medical records system for all patient encounters.
- MB BS or equivalent medical qualification.
- FWACP/MRCP or equivalent and relevant higher specialist training,
- Minimum of three years experience working at a Senior Registrar/Consultant level in paediatric or adult medicine in high-quality teaching institutions.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Proven experience of managing staff.
- Excellent record keeping skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to work well in a multi-disciplinary team.
- The ability to deal sensitively with the patients.
- Computer literate, e.g. Word, Excel. Email.
- Interest in clinical research into the diseases of the tropics.
- Good understanding of medical audits.
- Willingness to work on the on-call rota on a regular basis.
- Willingness to work flexi-time.
- Being an advanced life support provider would be an advantage.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 2, 36 Points of MRC Unit The Gambia’s payscale at a net monthly salary of 106, 325 Dalasi. This converts to a net pay of $2, 362 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid In Dalasi and that the USD figure quoted is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects,
- The appointment is far 3 years extendable by-mutual agreement and is subject to a probationary period of 6 months.
go to method of application »
We are conducting a rota virus vaccine impact and effectiveness study in children less than 5 years old residing in the areas of Basse, Upper River Region and Fuladu West, Central River Region Health Demographic Surveillance Systems (HDSS).
The appointments up to 28th February 2018 in the first instance.
- Applications are invited from suitably qualified candidates for a Higher Scientific Officer for the Rotavirus study. The post-holder will undertake technical and supervisory roles to support the study.
- S/he will, in addition, to conducting laboratory assays and procedures, undertake tabulation of laboratory results and compilation of reports, contribute to drafting of SOPs and work instructions and also train and supervise Trainee Scientific Officers, Senior Laboratory Technicians and laboratory technicians to meet the project goals and objectives.
- The post-holder will be based at MRCG Basse.
- M.Sc degree in Biomedical Sciences or relevant Biological Sciences.
- Substantial experience in a research microbiology laboratory.
- Computer literacy in Excel, MS words, power points etc.
- Knowledge and Experience of the standards/guidelines/regulations applicable to the clinical laboratories working practices towards GCLP/ISO 15189 accreditation.
- Knowledge of current literature, techniques, diagnostic tools and equipment applicable to the clinical laboratories.
- An ability to take initiatives.
- Ability to work in a highly disciplined manner in a laboratory.
- Ability to maintain high standards of work.
- Ability to work co-operatively in team.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Participate in the shipment of biological samples following training by an agent/trainer certified by the International Air Transportation Association (IATA).
- Being able to provide training and lectures to scientific and support staff
- A basic technical knowledge of the pieces of equipment within the clinical laboratories, and be able to troubleshoot with the biomedical engineering department
- Contribute to the writing of scientific articles if required.
- The salary will be paid in Grade 3, 27 Points of MRC Unit The Gambias payscale at a net monthly salary of 47, 670 Dalasi. This converts to a net pay of $1, 059 approximately per month using the prevailing Dalasi/USD exchange rate.
- Please note that the salary will be paid in Dalasi and that the USD figure quoted is only given as a guide.
- For displaced staff the package will include rent-free furnished accommodation, flights, displacement allowance for spouse and children, contribution to school fees and shipment of personal effects.
Method of Application
Applicants should contact the "Human Resources Office" for an Application Form and a copy of the job description be emailing: email@example.com Completed Application Forms together with photocopies of qualifications should be returned to:
Human Resources Office,
Vacancy for: Consultant Clinician,
P.O. Box 273,
Telephone: 00220 4495442-6 & 00220 4494072-9
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale