Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency spilling over from the North East of Nigeria and causing displacement of millions of individuals, Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by starting its humanitarian program in July 2014.
For the finance specific role, the Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance. The Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
General Position Summary
- The Head of Office provides general management and leadership for all program support functions at the field level for the humanitarian portfolio including operations, finance and security.
- The Head of Office proactively and informatively communicates and coordinates the program support functions with Mercy Corps staff in all field locations (currently in Gombe (Gombe state), Yola (Adamawa state) and Biu (Borno state)) and Abuja country office.
- S/he will be responsible for all aspects of operations (procurement, logistics, administration, human resources) security, and finance functions.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy and Vision:
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Oversee the smooth flow of routine program support functions (e.g., finance, administration, logistics) of the Mercy Corps field offices and compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Oversee management, supervision and training of all aspects of finance and operations ( administration, HR, security, logistics) in the field offices
- Ensure that procurement is completed, documented, and delivered to end-user in a timely manner, ensuring that items procured meet the specifications of the end-user while adhering to donor and Mercy Corps procurement guidelines.
- Ensure all aspects of asset management including maintenance of asset register and investigation of missing assets.
- Supervise the management and maintenance of vehicle fleet, office facilities, and equipment, including power supply and internet.
- Oversee database and paper file management for finance and operations; ensure files are complete and in compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures.
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps' Abuja and HQ offices on travel and logistics support as required.
- Support program start-up through the administration of support teams across various field locations.
- Create and maintain operations systems to ensure effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Finance & Compliance Management:
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency operations.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
- With the supplier and local government on operational issues as required.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- Develop and maintain the security management plans for the area of operation.
- Follow up any developments/changes in regards to the security situation.
- Ensure adequate security coordination with other humanitarian actors in the areas.
- Liaise with the Team Leader and Director of Humanitarian Programs on any degradation in security situation.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Knowledge and Experience
- A B.Sc or Master's Degree in relevant field.
- At least 3-5 years of relevant project management experience.
- Sound understanding procurement, administration, and logistics management systems. Basic understanding of financial systems.
- Experience in security management in conflict areas;
- Commitment to local capacity building and team coordination.
- Experience working with host governments and INGOs; familiarity with international humanitarian operations, coordination structures, and the mandates of UN agencies, and other NGOs.
- Good organizational and management skills and the ability to anticipate project needs.
- Proven ability to work cooperatively with others in a team environment, and lead a diverse group of national and international staff.
- Must be able to strategically advise staff on program and office activities and security issues.
- Demonstrated proficiency with the MS Office software (i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint) is required.
- Fluent English; Hausa a plus.
- The successful Head of Office will have proven experience working effectively in emergency contexts.
- S/he will have strong leadership qualities and will have demonstrated previous experience in building team commitment toward the achievements of program objectives.
- It will be essential to have experience in setting up systems and procedures in difficult environments, as well as good understanding on what makes systems and procedures work.
- Effective verbal and written communication, multi-tasking, organizational, and prioritization skills are critical as are an ability to work in remote environments, an awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international humanitarian work and ability to train and facilitate dialogue among a diverse group of individuals with various skill sets and working styles.
- S/he must have an ability to creatively problem-solve, to juggle multiple priorities under tight deadlines, and to calmly and diplomatically deal with unexpected and sudden events impacting program operations with patience, tenacity, and a good sense of humor.
Living Conditions/Environmental Conditions:
- The position will be initially based in Gombe, Gombe state, Nigeria and it requires frequent travel (up to 60%) between field locations in Adamawa and Borno states. Considering the frequent travel from/to different field locations, this position will require flexibility in terms of accommodation and logistics. Housing in the field will be in hotels or guesthouse where available. Security in the field locations require additional vigilance and accessibility will be reassessed continuously.
- Access to good medical services in north east is limited. Phone communication, internet, electricity and water is available but might be erratic.
- The location is eligible for hardship and R&R benefits.
- Given the nature of the humanitarian response, working hours require flexibility and working through weekends/evenings might be necessary.
- Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all locations.
Method of Application
To apply, visit Mercy Corp Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale