INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Location: Abuja (with frequent missions in Maiduguri and any others operational bases)
Reporting to: Regional Director
Starting date: 31st of March 2016
Duration of contract: 9 months
2. Tasks and responsibilities
The Head of Mission (HoM) legally and officially represents the Organization in Nigeria and acts under the supervision of the Regional Director and in accordance with his/her specific directions. He is responsible for the planning, management and implementation of the country program on the basis of defined strategies and indications.
The HoM manages and coordinates the operations and human resources in the country and is responsible to:
· To establish and manage effective relationships with local Institutions, donors, NGOs, International Agencies and other stakeholders, promoting the good name and image of INTERSOS
· To ensure the respect of INTERSOS values, code of ethics and the management and control model
· To define country priorities on the basis of the needs assessment and the country context analysis
· To monitor the donor’s priorities and intervention strategies in the country
· To assess, promote and submit project proposals, following the procedures defined
· To sign contracts and, where necessary, delegate other international operators
· To establish, guarantee and regularly monitor the government’s recognition and accreditation procedures and any other formalities required by the hosting country, ensuring their timely renewal;
Management and coordination of country operations:
· To define the mission’s planning of activities and check for their implementation; To supervise, monitor and assess all the phases of implementation of the project also by conducting periodic visits to the project sites; To ensure the constant and timely sharing of information with the Regional Director, while updating the data entered into the project management and monitoring tool (Project Appraisal Tool – PAT)
· To provide the Regional Director within the terms foreseen with a forecast of expenditure fir the mission; To define the mission’s economic and financial planning, ensuring economic self-sufficiency and expenditure adherence to budget constraints;
· To approve interim and final financial reports and ensure their timely and duly submission to donors in compliance with procedures foreseen;
· To carry out monthly checks and assessments of the mission’s economic and financial status; To be responsible for managing the funds and current bank accounts of the mission;
· To enhance local personnel responsibility, also through ad hoc training sessions
· To be responsible for procurement processes of goods, works and services and relevant conformity to procedures
· To be responsible for selection of local suppliers to be included in a “list of reliable suppliers” for use in specific procurement procedures
· To compile and submit to the Regional Director monthly written reports on country operations;
· To be responsible for the storage of all documentation relating the mission and the projects upon their closure
· To be responsible for the management and maintenance of both, INTERSOS and third- party goods, by performing regular checks;
· To be responsible for the strict observance and adherence to INTERSOS and donors’ procedures.
Human resources management:
· To propose to the Regional Director the recruitment of expatriate personnel;
· To determine the contracts with local personnel and supervise the recruitment of high- level qualified professionals;
· To provide local personnel with the same opportunities as expatriate personnel, by encouraging their growth and greater assumption of responsibilities within projects and the Organization;
· To manage personnel training, ensuring the effective diffusion and personnel knowledge of INTERSOS Model, Charter of Values and Code of Ethics;
· To brief expatriate personnel on overall mission activities, specific project activities and security conditions in the country;
· To collect all documents pertaining to local labour legislation, to be made available in the mission for consultation;
· To determine the communication/information flows and oversee interpersonal relationship dynamics, promoting cohesion and motivation;
· To be responsible for notification to the nearest Italian Embassy and where relevant, to International Organizations, in relation to the presence of Italian and international personnel in the mission. Analogous communications must be transmitted to the Embassy of reference of the operators of different nationalities;
· To submit to the Regional Director the international personnel performance appraisals for upon conclusion of the contracts; also pointing out noteworthy and professionalized local personnel;
· To provide the Communication sector, regularly or upon request, with news regarding the country, emerging issues and activities developed, working together with the Project Manager and other operators;
· To be responsible for security, providing the definition of specific procedures and behaviours, and monitoring the implementation of regulations defined in the protocols attached to the Security Manual.
3. Required profile/experience
· Advanced university degree. A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
· At least 2 years professional experience in similar position.
· Knowledge of UN system (UNHCR – OCHA – UNICEF – WFP) ECHO and other majors donors.
· Experience in humanitarian assistance, e-voucher and nutrition is desirable.
· Strong experience in project design, monitoring and evaluation, and data collection and analysis is required.
· Excellent analytical, report writing and communication skills is required;
· Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders;
· Ability to work in a volatile and difficult security context, including hardship field locations;
· Computer literate (Microsoft office);
· English language skills required (fluent);
· Italian (desirable).
Qualified applicants are requested to submit their curriculum vitae, motivation letter and 2 references to: email@example.com, specifying in the subject ‘HoM Nigeria”**
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for the first interview ;