World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Vacancy Notice No: AFRO/16/TA17
Contract type: Temporary appointment
Duration of contract: 12 months
Organization unit: AF_WSR AF West Sub-Region (AF_WSR) /
AF_NGA Nigeria (AF_NGA)IVE
Objectives of the Programme
To support national authorities to provide high quality immunization services that will contribute to (a) the reduction of mortality, morbidity and disability from vaccine preventable diseases through the optimum use of available and new vaccines and (b) the strengthening of national health systems as well as efforts to achieve the Millennium Development Goals.
Description of Duties
Under the overall supervision of the WHO Country Representative, and direct supervision of IVE Focal Point, the incumbent coordinates data management activities for immunization monitoring and evaluation function at national and field level and reports programme progress achieved in the country. He/She will work closely with national authorities as well as partners:
- Develop, update and maintain appropriate software for monitoring and evaluation of all immunization programme data including routine immunization, supplemental immunization, new vaccine introduction as well as EPI/PEI surveillance data;
- Collect, consolidate, and analyse PEI/EPI data against a set of indicators to monitor progress and effectively guide the programme through identification of areas of improvement;
- Support efforts geared towards effective implementation, compliance and documentation WHO accountability framework;
- Support efforts aimed at capacity building of national authorities and partners in collection of quality immunization programme data, analysis and maintenance of databases;
- Support in analysing the existing monitoring; systems and programme monitoring indicators, and develop tools to assess progress against national immunization plans;
- Provide guidance in application of data management protocols to improve quality, accessibility, timeliness and relevance of technical data;
- Provide technical data management support for national authorities and partners (Emergency Operations Centre) for effective implementation of the immunization programme;
- Support activities aimed at strengthening partnership, advocacy as well as resource mobilization in support of improving performance of immunization activities;
- Perform other activities as required by WHO Representative.
- Essential: Advanced university degree from a recognized university in Statistics, Demography, Management Information System, Public health administration and other relevant field.
- Desirable: Specialized training in public health would be an asset with a focus on monitoring impact of public health interventions.
- Ability to work effectively with colleagues at national and international levels;
- Ability to provide leadership, monitor progress and design studies;
- Proficiency in word-processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, epidemiological (Epiifo) and mapping software
- Producing results;
- Communicating in a credible and effective way;
- Fostering integration and teamwork;
- Ensuring the effective use of resources;
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond;
- Essential: Minimum 7 years experiences in epidemiological data management as well as primary Health Care/Immunization Programmes software development and use.
- Desirable: Working experience for UN would be an asset
- Essential: Excellent knowledge of English
- Desirable: Knowledge of the other UN languages
Remuneration and Benefits
- WHO's salaries are calculated in US dollars.
- They consist of a base salary and a post adjustment (for international positions only) which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station and exchange rates.
- Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, home travel (for international positions only), education grant for dependent children (for international positions only), pension plan and medical insurance.
Annual salary: (Net of tax)
- USD 68294 at single rate
- USD 73338 with primary dependants
- 48.9 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should apply on WHO's Career Website
- "In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position.
- WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/
- Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and these will be reviewed individually".
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale