Girl Effect is an organisation working to break the cycle of intergenerational poverty. We do this by investing in programmes for girls, connecting girls to each other to amplify their voices, and brokering access to the critical assets girls need. We drive behaviour change by harnessing media in innovative ways and building social networks to shift girls’ perceptions of themselves and how others value them.
Overview and Main Responsibilities
The Senior Manager – Planning & Operations will be responsible for the financial and operational management of Girl Effect Nigeria, in order 1) to guarantee the integrity of Girl Effect’s Nigeria based programme and 2) to enable the programme to keep pace with new demands.
The post-holder will be responsible for overseeing and driving the planning and reporting process ensuring the operational processes support the programme activities appropriately and adequate reporting is in place to report on the progress and outcome of the programmes.
The post-holder will oversee all aspects of financial accounting and reporting provided by the Senior Finance Coordinator ensuring sound financial practices/controls and rigorous budgetary management. A key priority is to embed clear financial management controls and to ensure understanding of and compliance with these by all staff.
The post-holder will oversee the management of business support provided by the Operations Coordinator, ensuring that it complies with Girl Effect policy and procedures, and general best practice. This will include human resources, procurement, logistics and transport, IT, and security.
We are seeking someone who is passionate about our work and who is looking to be part of a dynamic and enthusiastic team.
Key Duties and responsibilities:
Reporting and Planning
- Develop a planning and reporting schedule and timelines to ensure programmes and activities are planned in advance and deliver good value for money.
- Develop a monthly / quarterly meeting schedule showing regular meetings for GEN and also with GEL including the business review and ensure same take place.
- Lead and coordinate the quarterly Qualitative Assessment Scorecard (QAS) or equivalent for Girl Effect Nigeria completing the Quarterly Based Reporting (QBR) formats in line with GH Global timelines. This usually occurs the last week of every quarter requiring the full attendance of the GEN Team.
- Coordinate the compilation of the quarterly plan with the GEN Team for the CD’s final approval and submit same to GEL HQ in line with reporting timelines.
- Develop a reporting process tracking outcome and outputs for each work stream and coordinate with the team to ensure that information contained therein is accurate and kept up to date.
- Support the programme team to ensure appropriate planning and reporting on activities.
- Produce the weekly activity report
- Produce an annual GEN report
Financial Accounting, Budgeting and Reporting
- Oversee Accounts Payables, Month-end accounting, Payroll, Taxation and Audit and provide a high standard of financial accounting ensuring compliance to local statutory law and Girl Effect accounting policies.
- Line Management of the Senior Finance Coordinator ensuring that accounting systems, policies, internal controls and procedures are fit for purpose to enable the preparation and distribution of accurate, complete and timely financial data.
- Manage the cash flow to ensure timely access to funds so as to meet programme needs.
- Provide the necessary checks and balances to ensure that money is spent effectively, efficiently and drive good Value for Money.
- Oversee the budgeting and reporting process supporting budget holders to produce quality budgeting information that aligns with the strategy and programme activity planning.
- Oversee donor reporting ensuring accuracy and that budgets, narrative reports and expenditure reports are aligned.
Operations and HR Management
- Lead on the operational strategy and vision for Girl Effect Nigeria in close consultation with the Country Director and stakeholders within Girl Effect.
- Regularly review and revise Girl Effect Nigeria policy/procedures to ensure they are in line with current and future operational strategy
- Line management of the Operations Coordinator ensuring the implementation of all Girl Effect policies, protocols and procedures within Girl Effect Nigeria offices.
- Responsibility for human resource processes and procedures for Girl Effect Nigeria - ensuring that personnel files are well maintained, leave is tracked and HR policies adhered as well as that team building activities are planned and carried out.
- Monitor and provide support and orientation/training to consultants and partners – refer to orientation check list.
- Take appropriate steps to minimise the risk of fraud or theft. Ensure the security of all cash and assets (e.g.: regular cash and bank reconciliation, fixed asset and inventory physical checks are carried out quarterly and documented/signed off)
- Oversee and ensure on a monthly basis that the GEN Asset and Inventory Register is maintained and kept up to date with the addition of new assets and asset labelling. Ensure items are recorded signed in / signed out to GEN staff.
- Carry out induction and staff trainings on finance and operations and refresher training on various GE policies and procedures with the entire GEN team when needed.
- Oversight of GEN’s risk profile, ensuring adequate mitigation and monitoring and ensuring that any incidents occurred are properly recorded, reported and appropriate action taken.
- Lead on procurement and contracting, ensuring cost-effectiveness and legal compliance in line with GE Policies and Procedures & the Contracting Handbook.
- Security focal point for GEN, liaising with the external security partner to ensure adequate levels of duty of care are provided
- Ensuring implementation and adherence to GEN’s Security Management Plan (SMP) and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Actively monitor GEN performance through KPIs and activity reports
- Ensure safeguarding for minors is actively managed by the GEN team
- Management of the IT Service Providers to ensure that the IT systems and infrastructure are continually operational and fit-for-purpose
- Oversight on data and knowledge management ensuring that the Shared Drop box folders are updated regularly by the GEN Team with respective programme, operational and finance files and records. This includes downloading and having available all external consultancy reports, research and supporting documents as well as key videos to show to visitors, partners and others as and when required
- Provide advice, training and general support to all staff members on any issues relating to Finance, Operations, HR and Reporting / Planning.
- Work with internal and external auditors, lawyers and tax advisors.
- Oversee the local registration process and reporting requirements.
- Coordinate with colleagues from both the technical and finance perspective to
- ensure the smooth operation of Girl Effect Nigeria funded initiatives.
- Adhere to Girl Hub Global and Local policies and procedures.
- Other duties as agreed with the Line Manager from time to time.
- Minimum Masters’ Degree in Management / Business or equivalent;
- Experience with strategic, financial and operational/systems management – this includes Planning and Reporting, HR management, logistics and procurement, and IT and office management.
- At least 6 years’ experience working at a senior management level. Experience in international organisation or private sector experience will be considered.
- Experience of working in insecure environments and understanding of what this means for systems/procedures and duty of care to staff.
- Computer literate (i.e. WORD, advanced Excel, Outlook, Internet Explorer, field office financial dbase systems).
- Excellent level of spoken and written English. Excellent communication and report writing skills.
Other Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of financial standards required by donors, local financial standards and legal framework
- Knowledge of Operations and Security Management preferred
- A collaborative team player;
- Culturally aware and respectful - curious and sensitive about the cultures in which we operate;
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural teams with varying expertise, skills and backgrounds;
- Adaptable - able to work in complex, unfamiliar and changing environments;
- Resourceful, solution-seeker;
- Excellent critical analysis and thinking skills;
- Self-starter - confident and proactive in generating and leading new initiatives;
- Positive, energetic, can-do attitude;
- Interest in working in developing countries;
- Strong communication and organizational skills;
- Commitment to realizing the potential of girls and to the vision and values of Girl Effect.
- Experience in designing and implementing security procedures.
- Experience with monitoring and supporting local NGOs.
- Fluency in Hausa preferred but not required
A competitive salary and benefits will be offered to the preferred candidate.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit Girl Effect Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale