Devex is assisting an international non-profit information and communication technology services organization focused on health systems and solutions in its search for a Global Health Informatics Director to be based in Nigeria and Germany (travelling between Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea as necessary).
The Director is responsible for establishing the organization’s new Global Health Informatics (GHI) division. For this role, a minimum of two years (2) commitment is required.
The Director will play a key role in the development of the following:
- Consolidate and integrate GHI service departments across all of the organization’s country offices and programs;
- Build a cloud-based shared informatics platform to support the organization’s solutions in Nigeria, Liberia, Sierra Leone, and Guinea;
- Provide GHI analysis, design, development and implementation to support the mission and goals of the organization’s programs;
- Develop Infectious Disease Surveillance Repositories (IDSR), health services and commodities informatics solutions, and other informatics solutions as needed
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, the Global Health Informatics Director must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned:
- Leads the execution of informatics and technology strategy for shared cloud-based and local informatics platforms to support the organization’s informatics solutions for its partnerships, clients and partners.
- Builds and manage department teams and oversee research and development, as well as project management.
- Assists with the development of a sustainable business and cost model for the new division
- Provides visible leadership for the company within the Global and Public Health Informatics community.
- Anticipates and reacts to major technology changes to ensure the sustenance of the organization’s leadership in informatics solutions
- Establishes data management lifecycle standards and ensures adherence to various U.S. West African, and donor requirements
- Works with the PMO in the development of cost models and financial feasibility analyses for the organization’s programs and projects that utilize division services.
- Collaborates closely with PMO and assigned project managers and users to develop project charters and plans based on requirements gathered from various stakeholders
- Ensures that the management and deliverables of informatics solutions are completed on schedule and stakeholders are kept aware of progress and milestones
- Performs business and technical feasibility analyses of complex informatics projects
- Assesses proposed projects against the organization’s existing technical architecture and policy standards, utilizing domain knowledge and an understanding of technology strengths & limitations necessary to provide solutions, as well as, open, patient and transparent communication skills with participating internal and external stakeholders.
- Manages selections and subsequent vendor relationships. Prepare written reports and deliver presentations on the organization’s informatics solutions.
- Assists or supervise and users in the design, development of informatics solutions for health and humanitarian logistics project and programs
- Builds strategic relationships with key leaders in Global and Public Health Informatics to intimately understand the needs of Sub-Saharan Africa
- Plan and provision division growth with data collected from these partnerships
- Collaborates closely key partners to understand their requirements and ensure necessary buy-in. Maintains strong interpersonal communication, problem solving and analytical skills. Is capable of providing support and encouragement to organizations undergoing change
- Consistently and effectively manages team coaching and mentoring direct reports and ensuring good morale and growth of your employees. Develop and implement recruitment and retention strategies to bring in new talent.
- In all areas, promotes and maintains a favorable work environment for yourself and others to assist in meeting the overall mission of the organization.
- Maintains a customer centric service ethic. Maintains strong presentation skills needed to deliver training, application demonstrations and other support activities.
- Collaborates actively with national partner institutions, professional associations, and vendors in conferences, meetings, and projects.
- Direct the planning, installation, training, support, and management of projects throughout the data lifecycle.
- Consult with vendors, administrative and clinical staff to assess, plan and design the user configurations, workflow, product setup, data content customization work (standards and conventions) and computing environment needs.
- Regularly report metrics to assess the quantity and quality of work being done by division teams.
- Oversee the implementation, configuration, testing, rollout and training for new and enhanced functionality. Assists in development and execution of project work breakdown structures and other project and operational documentation and procedures.
- Work with technical staff and data governance staff on issues relate to accessing the organization’s data to support research, project, national government, and donor needs.
- Maintains functional knowledge of the relevant organizational source systems to enable the effective delivery of training and user assistance. Develops or oversees the development of the necessary test scenarios, documentation, training materials, support knowledgebase, and Master Data Definitions.
- Development and monitoring annual and multi-year capital and operational budgets for the various projects and programs.
- Assigns, supervises and evaluates all software solutions to optimize performance, integration, and interoperability.
- Maintains high standards necessary for the efficient and professional implementation of the organization’s informatics solutions and platforms
- Provides direct management of division department managers.
- Ensures compliance with legal provisions, organizational policies and best practices concerning data management, retention, licensing, and security.
- Oversees the implementation and maintenance of a network security function to ensure the integrity and privacy of the company’s data and computing environment and protect its investment in technology.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organisation’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems. Supervises assigned Management and Administrative staff.
Desired Skills and Experience