Vacancy at International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC)
Posted on: 11 December, 2014
Deadline: 26 December, 2014
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at IFDC
If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
The International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC) is a public international organization addressing critical issues such as international food security, the alleviation of global hunger and poverty, environmental protection and the promotion of economic development and self-sufficiency. IFDC focuses on increasing productivity across the agricultural value chain in developing countries. This is achieved by the creation and transfer of effective and environmentally sound crop nutrient technology and agribusiness expertise.
We are recruiting to fill the below position: Private Sector Inputs Specialist
- The United States Agency for International Development Nigeria (USAID NIGERIA) has contracted with International Fertilizer Development Center (IFDC), to implement the Agro-Input to Production Expansion (APEx) project in Nigeria to attain a private sector led agricultural input market in Nigeria supporting agricultural producers to secure improved availability, accessibility, and affordability of agricultural inputs.
The objectives of the Project are:
Enhanced efficiency of the GES Scheme to better serve Nigerian smallholders
Increased availability of agricultural inputs by strengthening the role of the private sector in agro-input supply
Improved economic performance of Nigeria’s agricultural sector.
- The ideal candidate will have experience working with and coordinating public and private sector stakeholders to develop partnerships and facilitate service delivery of agriculture inputs to smallholder farmers.
- The candidate will have experience developing and improving agricultural input supply systems that include fertilizers, pesticides/fungicides, agricultural credit and improved planting material in Nigeria.
- In addition, an ideal candidate would have experience in the private sector agribusiness and agro-dealer capacity building development in Nigeria.
- The Private Sector Input Specialist will lead developing practical strategies for technical support, partnership development and representation for agriculture-input related activities and will focus on building partnerships with private sector companies, NGOs and national partners.
- He/she will work with a team of IFDC technical specialists in Nigeria and will frequently travel to project intervention states to collaborate with partners and oversee project implementation.
- Fluency in English and the ability to initiate and conduct foundation business is required.
- Convene and facilitate private sector and government actors to broker partnerships to increase rural access to inputs
- Represent IFDC in various forums and provide technical assistance on supply chain management initiatives to improve input access
- Increase farmer access to improved inputs (seed, fertilizer, farm equipment and irrigation and crop protection quality products) by stimulating demand via market-friendly systems that also stimulate competitive input supply chain development
- Develop field-ready strategies to increase smallholder farmers’ knowledge and use of appropriate agricultural inputs in response to barriers
- Train and develop agro-input dealers and trade associations.
- Help establish farmer-based organizations and link them to credit and other service providers
- Help develop a market information system for key commodities.
- Assist in measuring progress of input-related activities through program M&E
- Manage the technical aspects of sub-grantee activities in relation to agricultural inputs
- Miscellaneous duties, as requested by APEx Management.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- Master's degree in Agri-Business, Business Administration, Agronomy, Agro-Economy or a related field.
- At least 10 years of proven experience in private sector agribusiness development in Nigeria
- Solid knowledge of private sector development and actors in Nigeria (including the financial sector and the fertilizer sector) and preferably having worked in private agribusiness in Nigeria
- Demonstrated experience with gender mainstreaming in agriculture projects.
- Past experience leading and building the capacity of teams of agriculture-focused staff, including remote, field-based staff, to meet program needs and deliverables
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills, including demonstrated advanced ICT skills
- Previous experience on USAID-funded agricultural/agribusiness development programs will be an advantage, including contributing to M&E designing, implementing and reporting, and leading program activities.
- Duty location
- The Private Sector Inputs Specialist will be based in Abuja (Nigeria) but should be willing to travel within the country frequently.
Method of Application
Interested applicants are kindly requested to send their applications in English in the form of a one page letter and current CV describing their experience, qualifications and three reference contacts by email. Emails should be sent to: email@example.com
Applicants should indicate in the subject line of the email: APEx Private Sector Inputs Specialist Position.
- Only short-listed candidates will be invited for an interview scheduled in IFDC Abuja office. No telephone queries will be responded to.
- The interview will consist of a panel interview and may include a written and/or oral test in English.
- Please read these carefully. Failure to comply will adversely affect your application.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about IFDCSimilar Jobs
- Graphic Artist/Designer at Giantsbility Media Network Limited
- WASH Coordinator at the International Medical Corps
- Finance Officer at Gender Equality, Peace and Development Centre (GEPaDC)
- Consultants at The Civil Society Scaling-Up Nutrition in Nigeria (CS-SUNN)
- Job Vacancies at Malaria Consortium
- Job Openings at Action Against Hunger | ACF-International
- Capacity Building Advisor at John Snow Incorporated (JSI)
- Fresh Vacancies at INTERSOS Nigeria