National Democratic Institute for International Affairs (NDI) seeks a Resident Security Advisor to oversee security and operations support to NDI Nigeria programs.
Responsibilities include coordinating security policies and procedures for NDI/Nigeria, reporting to the NDI/Nigeria Country Director and coordinating closely with the Director for Global Security and Operations and program staff in Washington, DC. The position is a six-month assignment located in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Operate as the point of contact for all security-related issues
- Maintain awareness of the security environment and potential areas of risk for NDI personnel and activities, particularly in Abuja.
- Ensure implementation of program security plan, communication protocols, and emergency plans; and recommend specific actions and policies designed to enhance staff security;
- Collect, review, and disseminate security information to NDI management team, liaise with a variety of information resources to ensure the NDI management team has credible pool of knowledge to support decision making.
- Identify current and emerging threats and NDI vulnerability based on current and proposed programming and activities,
- Provide mentorship for Local National Security Focal Point. Work to build security management capacity at all levels, to include periodic training to staff, guards and drivers on incident management, travel safety, access control or other topics as indicated by management (first aid, surveillance detection for example) .
- Review physical security procedures and practices on an ongoing basis and recommend updates where necessary; provide supervision of office guard force, ensure standing orders are in place and followed,
- Oversee and coordinate the procurement of external support services, including panic button response, security technology, and medical assistance companies;
- Ensure NDI local staff travel is properly planned, resourced, and tracked.
- Ensure office has sufficient resources for routine and emergency communications. Manage satellite phone and personnel tracker pool, and provide periodic testing/training of units, provide recommendations on additional communications resources such as personnel tracking, sat-based hotspots etc.
- Ensure NDI’s disaster preparedness, medical response, and evacuation planning are sound and properly resourced; provide direct incident management support in the event of major incident.
- Provide security support to NDI sponsored events including venue assessment, liaison with venue and other local security actors (MOPOL, Police, etc.)
- Establish security and operation program with documented standards and process and procedures for transition at end of assignment.
Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability and experience managing security/operations teams.
- Commitment and demonstrated ability to build national staff capacity in the areas of logistics, operations, and security.
- Cultural sensitivity in working with a multinational office staff.
- Detail oriented, highly flexible and strong organizational skills.
- Verbal and written communication skills.
- Sense of initiative, self-motivated, and goal/deadline-oriented.
- Working knowledge of Google Apps (Gmail, Calendar, Google Drive, G+, etc.) and Microsoft Word and Excel strongly desired
- Working knowledge of budget management and ability to prepare timely, complete, and accurate reports.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor degree in issues related to international relations, business administration, or international development, or equivalent years of relevant experience required.
- Minimum of fourteen (14) years in NGO, humanitarian and/or economic development work overseas.
- Experience working in post-conflict environments and/or countries undergoing political transitions required.
- Experience managing and implementing logistics, operations, and security systems.
- Experience managing and implementing programs related to international development activities a plus.
Method of Application
NDI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other characteristic protected by law. Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.