CONTRACT DURATION: 3 MONTHS
ORGANISATION: EKKLESIYAR ‘YANUWA A NIGERIA (EYN PROJECTS)
LOCATION: BORNO STATE
EYN Projects is a community-based non-profit/non-governmental organization. We respect and believe in the infinite worth of every individual. We demonstrate this belief through our development and humanitarian services to affected communities, equal employment opportunities, building and strengthening the skills of our staff, and ensuring qualitative and effective service delivery. EYN Projects does not discriminate based on gender, ethnicity, or religion in our recruitment exercise nor in our humanitarian and development work.
ABOUT THE JOB:
The WASH technical assistant will provide support to the wash officer and community hygiene assistants to systematically measure progress in the implementation of EYN emergency Wash response in Ajiri.
She/he will provide a technical support on all constructions throughout the project cycle to ensure all water points identified for rehabilitation are accessed and rehabilitated according to the agreed specification and in line with the wash requirements.
The Wash technical Assistant will be responsible for the following, including those not listed but are extensions of those expressly stated:
- To support the wash officer in technical monitoring and supervision of all wash activities in Ajiri in close coordination with the wash sector and in line with the budget and project documents.
- To assist the WASH officer in all aspects of programs planning, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation.
- To assist in the identification of community water and sanitation needs.
- To develop technical specifications and bills of quantities (BOQ) for all water points identified for rehabilitation.
- To assess the water and sanitation training needs of the community and assists in the development of appropriate training materials and plans.
- Conducts inspection at water points.
- Provides BoQ for latrines for construction and to supervise the construction works that will be done by a vendor.
- Provides technical assistance to the community members that will be identified for cash for work and will be engaged in the construction works.
- Assists in the establishment, and training of community-based WASH committees as well as monitoring their performance.
- Assists in the compilation of weekly and monthly WASH Technical reports, program documents, project proposals, and budgets.
- Conducting regular field visits to track progress against indicators and put in place systems for routine quality checks and validations
- Advising and putting in place a system for promoting transparency and accountability of plan for stakeholders.
- Performing other tasks as may be required.
Comply with all EYN Projects’ and partners’ policies and practice with respect to codes of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Understanding humanitarian contexts and application of humanitarian principles:
- Ensure that programmed goals and activities uphold the principles of the key national and international humanitarian frameworks, codes and commitments
- Integrate beneficiary accountability principles into the approach
- Participate in disaster coordination mechanisms and interagency cooperation
Achieving results effectively:
- Ensure efficient and transparent use of resources in accordance with internal controls
- Establish staff engagement mechanisms.
- Address difficult situations and makes tough decisions confidently and calmly
- Consider the wider impact of decisions to be made in the short and long-term.
- Continuously provide feedbacks and updates to achieve improved results
- Coordinate with stakeholders to avoid duplication and maximize resources
- Document lessons learned and apply them to future projects
Maintaining and developing collaborative relationships:
- Actively listen to different perspectives and experiences of stakeholders
- Actively participate in networks to access and contribute to good practice
- Establish and maintain clear communication and dialogue with disaster and conflict affected people and other stakeholders
- Establish clear objectives with teams and individuals and monitors progress and performance
Operating safely and securely:
- Identify and communicate risks and threats and minimizes these for oneself and the agency
- Take measures to do no harm and to minimize risks for partners and the communities
- Reduce vulnerability by complying with safety and security protocols set by the organization.
Managing yourself in a pressured and changing environment:
- Help team members to practice stress management through prioritization of workloads and modelling of appropriate self-care
- Remain effective and retains perspective in the face of difficult or demanding situations
- Demonstrate personal integrity by using one’s position responsibly and fairly
- Maintain ethical and professional behaviour in accordance with relevant codes of conduct
- Plan, prioritizes and performs tasks well under pressure
- Take responsibility for own work and for the impact of own actions
Leadership: Action; Thinking; Self; Inspiring; Developing Others:
- Build own awareness of the bigger global picture by using a broad range of sources to gather data
- Demonstrate managerial courage by confronting difficult situations and seeking resolution, and stating willingness to champion ideas
- Demonstrate approachability and trust by listening carefully to others and valuing their contribution, and making others feel comfortable by being open and honest about their thoughts and feelings
- Demonstrate self-development and management by taking responsibility for own development, and actively seeking out feedback to better understand their own strengths and weaknesses.
- Effectively influence others by understanding their interests and showing how they will be met by own preferred solution
- Give constructive feedback to enhance capabilities and responsibilities to another for the purpose of his/her development
- Minimum of National Diploma in Civil Engineering/Geology with minimum of 2 years field experience.
- Previous experience in supervising drilling and construction activities.
- Professional, good organizational capacity and motivated.
- Capacity to be adaptable and flexible.
- Microsoft Office and designing software Skills (AutoCAD, Excel, Power Point, Word).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Kanuri and other local languages.
- Proven capacity of management, leadership, and teamwork
- The ability to multitask.
- Adequate problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills in English and Hausa
- Excellent reporting skills
- Excellent communication, diplomatic skills, and writing skills
- Computer proficiency (word, excel and internet)
- Good analytical skills, at ease with figures and data