Purpose of the position
The Senior Coordinator, MERL will provide technical leadership to develop project framework, M&E systems and indicators to capture performance results and provide effective, accurate and timely monitoring, evaluation and reporting of all project activities. He/she will supervise and manage the M&E component of all eHealth Africa’s and oversee the collection, management, analysis and use of project data, ensuring that lessons learned are integrated into project implementation to continuously improve quality of interventions and outcomes. The Senior Coordinator, MERL is responsible for documenting and disseminating project successes, challenges and lessons learned to eHealth Africa’s Senior Management Team (SMT). The Senior Coordinator, MERL will also be responsible for designing and conducting assessments, operations research and evaluations to address project needs. The Senior Coordinator, MERL will support eHealth Africa’s Project Support Unit (PSU) predominantly by applying MERL knowledge, skills and experience to support the design and implementation of MERL systems for eHealth Africa programs/projects.
What you’ll do
To perform this job successfully, the Senior Coordinator, MERL, will support eHealth Africa’s PSU team by performing the below tasks and activities satisfactorily and with minimal supervision.:
- Contributing to the design of new strategies, portfolio development, cross-cutting data initiatives with focus on coherent, integrated theories of change, measurable impact models, scaling, collaborations and implementation plans to ensure long-term sustainability and impact.
- Supporting the collection and management of data for research, identifying relevance and applicability to team-specific MERL activities.
- Monitor and evaluate progress towards meeting annual work plan objectives and expected outputs, including selecting progress indicators and monitoring progress in meeting them
- Support project leadership to champion holistic approaches to collaboration, learning and adapting (CLA), including design and implementation of an action-oriented project research and learning agenda, routine analysis of available health sector data sources, and application of best practices in knowledge management
- Adapt and implement tools and techniques to improve the quality and use of data for decision-making.
- Supporting the development and implementation of effective monitoring and reporting systems, tools and templates that systematically track activities and outputs, including training materials and integrating technologies as needed
- Support the designated Internal Review Board (IRB) focal point in-country, including maintaining current certification from 1) human subjects ethics course and 2) Good Clinical Practices (GCP) course
- Promoting effective knowledge management activities, including translation of research knowledge to practice environments, and other activities to promote utility of research generated knowledge.
- Support the development of new projects and proposals, in conjunction with the New Business Development team, to ensure standard practices
- Conducting literature reviews and supports manuscript development
- Facilitate study validation exercise
- Routine update and maintenance of the project’s database
- Support the integration of project data into DHIS2
- Carrying out other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.
Who you are
The list below represents the required or strongly preferred education, training, professional experience and skills we are looking for in the person who will fill this role:
- Master’s degree in public health, epidemiology, demography, statistics, social sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- Minimum 6-8 years of work experience in monitoring and evaluating large, multi-year international health sector development projects (approximately $5 -10M per year)
- Minimum of 4 years of work experience and/or coursework in designing, implementing, or managing MERL systems or processes
- Proven expertise in quantitative and qualitative data collection and analysis methodologies, implementation research approaches, health management information systems, data visualization and reporting
- Demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork and planning skills with proven ability to function effectively with multiple host-country counterparts in both the public, NGO and private sectors
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with donors, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Must have extensive knowledge in collaboration, learning, and adapting concepts for health projects.
- Must have exceptional communications and presentation skills, fluency in the English, strong teamwork and effective cross-cultural interpersonal skills.
- Excellent networking and relationship-building skills and the ability to interact with stakeholders and partner, both public and private
- Proactive, self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision
- Knowledge on writing technical reports and manuscripts
- Demonstrated use of Advanced Excel, Tableau, STATA, Nvivo and PowerBI is required
- Has the capacity to conduct literature and desk reviews with minimal support
- Possess a high level of attention to detail
- Must be self-motivated
- Available to travel to deep field for project quality purposes within Nigeria and internationally
We hire people, not CVs. For eHA to be a match for you, you should:
- Be comfortable with fast-paced, dynamic work environments that require multitasking, attention to detail, clear communication, teamwork, and dedication to impact and quality.
- Be a self-starter with no need for micromanagement, prepared to ask questions, anticipate challenges, and proactively propose solutions.
- Be excited about working with a diverse, international team, both in person and remotely.