Base: Maiduguri - Borno State
Duration: 4 Months (with possibility of extension)
Start Date: As soon as possible
The Mentor Initiative applies a zero-tolerance approach to sexual exploitation, abuse, mistreatment or harassment, and other types of unethical behaviour including fraud. The Mentor Initiative will contact previous employers of applicants to determine if they have any history of violating international standards and codes of conduct relating to such matters
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Security Guard (2 Positions)
The MENTOR Initiative is an international NGO, which directly assists developing countries in their fight against malaria and other vector borne disease. The MENTOR Initiative provides support in the fight against malaria and other vector borne diseases through three key activities: intensive development of the technical capacity of humanitarian organizations and national partners, technical support for in-country programs, and operational research for the development and evaluation of innovative and context-specific tools for improved vector borne disease control. The MENTOR Initiative works in collaboration with various international agencies and governments including the United Nations, the Ministry of Health, and other Humanitarian Organizations. In close collaboration with the Ministry of Health, MENTOR is implementing large scale Indoor Residual Spray (IRS) and community mobilization on malaria and hygiene promotion campaigns in the conflict affected areas of Borno state of Nigeria.
Overall Job Purpose:
Under the direct supervision of the Logistics Officer, the Security Guard responsible for ensuring the protection and security of MENTOR property (offices, stores, Guest houses, equipment, material, etc.) and personnel
Tasks and responsibilities:
- Prevent the entry of anyone who does not have a valid reason to enter or contact the appropriate team for authorization.
- Screen any visitor’s cars coming into any MENTOR premises
- Check the entry and exit of visitors in the secure area according to MENTOR rules.
- Screen persons authorized to enter the premises and make sure all visitors fill and sign the visitor’s book with the necessary details.
- Provide all visitors with a visitor tag and make sure all non-MENTOR staffs are carrying their tag to be identified
- Inform the relevant person of the visitor’s arrival and guide visitors to the appropriate person or to the waiting area.
- Ensure security of MENTOR premises and property is protected by watching over the entire designated area and perimeter fence and carrying out regular patrols
- In case of intrusion, contact his/her supervisor immediately with the available means of communication.
- Ensure the security of vehicles on the premises, direct them in and out, and ensure that vehicle windows are closed in the event of rain and radios are off.
- Check that the doors and windows in the various buildings are locked and that internal lights are switched off at night during handover and when the occupants or staff leave the premises.
- Check that security lights are working properly and inform the line manager of any problems.
- Remain on duty until other guard comes to do a handover and never leave the post unattended.
- For each movement, register all information in the movement book: time, destination, passengers.
- Ensure that the guard’s torch is working properly, return used batteries and keep the necessary supply of spare batteries.
- Ensure that radio/phone is working and that there is always an extra battery or charger available.
- Ensure the correct use of generator and water pump: starting, switching off, record sheet of operating hours and maintenance. Ensure that tanks are full with diesel/petrol.
- Ensure correct use of extinguishers as well as know where they are located.
- Hand over correctly at each change of shift checking that all guard material is in perfect state (ex. radio, torch, boots, raincoats, etc.) and in case of a problem report it to line manager.
- Keep working area within MENTOR premises clean and tidy
- Activate and switch off the generator as needed or as specified by established procedure, and fill out the log book.
- Ensure that there is always a fuel reserve in the generator and check the oil level
- Assist with the loading and unloading of goods/materials, if necessary
- Inform line manager of any security issues, incidents within or near the premises
- Ensure that no MENTOR material comes out of the compound without permission from logistician.
- At the end of each shift, he/she conducts a physical inspection of the base to ensure normalcy. He/she will NOT leave the base if the next shift guard has not arrived.
- Always wait for the next shift guard before leaving and never leave workplace and the premises unattended for any reason.
The Guard is the public face of MENTOR and must be polite, disciplined, alert and clean at all times.
Guards must not discuss details about the MENTOR compound and staff with their family and friends outside work.
- Guard must remain alert throughout the shift, not engage in activities which will distract them from their duties, such as wearing headphones or entertaining family/friends.
- Constant surveillance and report suspicious individuals or activity around the compound e.g., people loitering around, the same people regularly passing the compound, the same vehicles regularly driving by.
- Safeguarding and Code of Conduct
- Adhere to the agreed MENTOR Code of conduct on Ethics and Integrity and Safeguarding including, Whistle blowing policy.
- The tasks and responsibilities defined in this job description are non-exhaustive and can evolve depending on the organization’s needs.
To apply, please send your CV, letter of motivation and 3 references to: email@example.com