Programme Officer Inclusive Eye Health(IEH) at Christoffel Blinden Mission(CBM) International
Location: Abuja, Nigeria; with travels to project locations
Contract duration: 1 year
Contract type: Full-time
Contract start: As soon as possible
Reports to : The National Advisor IEH
Main objective of the role:
The Programme Officer (PO) – Inclusive Eye Health will be responsible for project coordination and implementation of Inclusive Eye Health programmes in Nigeria. S/he will work in close collaboration with local partners who are implementing the IEH programmes in Nigeria. S/he will liase with the National Advisor IEH to support the development and smooth implementation of all IEH programs.
S/he will apply basic concepts, acquire and understand project cycle of CBM-supported eye health work in Nigeria to ensure successful and smooth implementation of Inclusive Eye Health programmes in collaboration with the partner organizations.
1. Main Tasks
Programme Management and Planning
- Support all CBM Inclusive eye health programmes by providing effective management and coordination to the programmes to ensure the delivery of programme targets.
- Coordinate all IEH partner related activities through working with different implementing partners to ensure adherence to work plans and budget for the achievement of planned project outputs.
- Coordinate review of programme objectives to ensure that it is in line with donor strategy.
- Support partner teams to identify and develop innovative approaches for the delivery of an inclusive eye health programme in the Nigeria.
- Coordinate the preparation of activity related reports as well as quarterly and annual reports to CBM/donors as may be required.
- Support the development of project proposals, project budget and pre-feasibility study.
- Provide support and input into all new inclusive eye health projects & budgets that are developed in Nigeria, ensuring that project design is in line with good practice and CBM technical guidelines
- Assist the National Advisor IEH in identifying suitable partners in the inclusive eye health field and actively participating in partner assessments, in particular technical assessments
- Support the National Advisor IEH in the development of comprehensive IEH - programmes and projects including the IEH Concept Note development and the full proposal development to ensure their technical quality
- Collaborating together with the National Advisor IEH, in ensuring the SMART objectives and indicators in the area of inclusive eye health for new projects are achieved.
- Contributing to the alignment of CBM Nigeria eye health plan to national priorities and CBM’s IEH Initiative plan.
- Planning workshops with stakeholders and planning deliverables/milestones attainment.
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide monitoring support to the partners in data collection, analysis and interpretation
- Support the National Advisor IEH in monitoring programme implementation in Nigeria.
- Conduct periodic programme visits and follow up on recommendations and corrective measures.
- Provide support to implementing partners during targeted outreach activities and monitoring visits to project facilities.
- Support in reviewing the evidence provided by partners for the delivery of activities and ensure proper reporting system and records are kept in place.
- The position will be responsible for guiding the overall Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Strategy and use of M&E methodology necessary for attaining the project goals.
- Ensure the integration/use of lessons learnt from projects
- Ensure timely submission of project briefs, quarterly and annual reports as required.
Main work package with regard to implementing eye health partners
- Provide support to partners and ensuring good understanding of the IEH standards
- Support the National Advisor IEH in technical assessments to the specific IEH projects
- Follow up on the recommendations in the action plan.
- Provide support in planning capacity development to partners to ensure quality.
- Ensure sharing of lessons learned and promote best practices with CBM and partner’s organisations;
- Follow up on timely statistics submission from IEH partners in Nigeria
- Support the National Advisor IEH to review six-monthly Cataract Surgical Outcome reports from IEH partners and give feedback where necessary
- Support CBM's IEH-partners to produce quality reports and review them before submission to CBM offices and the government.
Travel activities ❒ yes
2. Requirements -
Education, Knowledge, and Professional Experience
- Relevant academic degree in Public Health, Sciences, or related disciplines (post-graduate degree will be an advantage).
- At least 3 years’ experience in programme / project management, ideally in the INGO sector.
- Technical knowledge of Eye Health in Nigeria.
- Understanding of Disability Inclusive Development
- Experience in working with partner groups will be an added advantage
- Understanding of the Eye health system in Nigeria.
- Experience in monitoring, evaluation and research.
- Have a good understanding of project cycle and advocacy initiatives
- English at professional proficiency level
- Fluent speaking in local languages is an advantage
Microsoft Office Package (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, SharePoint…)
- Experience in accompanying implementing partners
- Ability to understand and work with project budgets, forecasts, and reports
- Programme management and interpersonal skills.
- Proven experience in monitoring and evaluation of light to moderately complex projects.
- Identification with Christian values and the mandate of the CBM
- Excellent networking and advocacy skills.
- Ability to travel regularly to project sites
- Good interpersonal and communication skills verbally and in writing