Terre des hommes (Tdh) is the leading Swiss child relief agency. The Foundation has been helping children in need for over 50 years, defending their rights regardless of their race, creed or political affiliation. In over 30 countries, Tdh protects children against exploitation and violence, improves children’s and their mother’s health and provides emergency psychological and material support in humanitarian crises.
Our goal is to make a significant and lasting difference to the lives of children in need.
Tdh established its Country Office in Nigeria during the last quarter of 2017 as part of the response to the evolving humanitarian crisis in the Lake Chad Basin. Since then, the organization’s interventions has established and expanded across Borno State in the North East (the Eastern Crescent). The sites currently covered by Tdh include the Stadium IDP Camp and Bolori II within the Maiduguri Municipal Council, Monguno, Pulka, Dikwa, Mafa Central, Mafa Rural and Rann, which are deep field locations. Through its work, Tdh has continued to address the most urgent needs of IDPs and host communities affected by the crisis, bridging gaps and improving access to basic needs and services. Current activities include Water, Hygiene and Sanitation, Maternal and Infant Health, Child Protection, and Education in Emergencies.
General description of the position:
Reporting to the Reproductive Health Team Leader, the midwife is responsible for the day to day management of pregnant and lactating women, children below the age of 5 according to the recommended guidelines. In addition, provide support to the traditional birth attendant and community health volunteers as required.
This position is based in Dikwa, working in a health post with shift pattern which includes night shifts.
- Clinical management of pregnant and lactating women including during childbirth.
- Prescribe and administer medications according to the recommended guidelines.
- Support mothers and their families in the overall care of their newborn babies in communities.
- Able to recognise their limit and refer patients to appropriate specialist care when necessary.
- Training and supervision of TBAs and CHEWs.
- Any other related duties as directed by technical or other supervisors.
- Manage and Supervise their team with the support of the Line manager
- Train his/her team members to use and maintain the available tools correctly
- Enforce safety procedures
- Welcome and brief new employees or volunteers working under her/his responsibility
- Participate in Professional Evaluation
Reporting / communication
- Under the supervision of the line manager, redact activity reports
- Participate in meetings, seminars and training workshops useful to the accomplishment of activities and the attainment of project objectives
- Report to the line manager on the evolution of activities and specific tasks assigned, problems encountered, quality of relations with beneficiaries and the involvement of communities
- Remain in touch with the population and local authorities to understand needs, complaints, and major events that may have an impact Tdh’s community activities, and in terms of operations and perceptions
- Raise any queries or difficulties related to Tdh’s activities or security issues
- Comply with Tdh Security Regulations.
- Always promote and implement high hygiene standards including universal precautions.
- Integrity/Commitment to Tdh’s child focused Programming.
- Working in Teams.
- Fostering Innovation and Empowerment especially for vulnerable people.
- Self-Management/Emotional Intelligence.
- Communicating ideas and information sharing / continuous learning.
- Commitment to Excellence
- State Registered Midwife with a minimum of 3 years’ experience.
- Two years’ experience in the humanitarian field or a closely related field.
- Sound knowledge of maternal health care protocols.
- Understanding of fundamental concepts of their limitations.
- Ability to work well in a team. Flexible and adaptable.
- Good communicator.
- Ability to follow instructions and proceduress
- Fully comply with Tdh Code of Conduct and ensure Child Safeguarding Policy is upheld at all times.
- Ensure adherence to Tdh standards and quality requirements in all the project activities.
- Adhere to and ensure the team under her/his responsibility follows Tdh administrative and logistical regulations and procedures.
This position is open only to Health department Ex-staff of Tdh