The Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS) is an international Catholic organisation with a mission to accompany, serve and advocate on behalf of refugees and other forcibly displaced persons. JRS undertakes services at national and regional levels with the support of an international office in Rome. Founded in November 1980 as a work of the Society of Jesus, JRS w...
Read more about this company
Job Title: Education Officer/M&E Supervisor: Education Supervisor
Country of Assignment: Nigeria Regional Directorate : West Africa
Place of Assignment: Taraba, Abuja, Mubi
Jesuit Refugee Service (JRS), is an International Catholic Organization working across 56 countries whose mission is to accompany, serve and advocate for the rights of refugees and IDPs in conflict zones, detention centres, and on remote borders.
The Education’s Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) Officer plays a key role in project startup, monitoring implementation of project activities, data analysis and reporting, staff capacity building, and supporting project research needs. The Education’s M&E Officer will coordinate with Education staff to ensure data collection activities are carried out according to proposals and measure progress, quality and impact of activities to target beneficiaries. S/he will be involved in carrying out and translating surveys, data collection, analysis and reporting.
Key Responsibilities of the Position
- Take responsibility for planning and implementation of monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities related to education programing focused on improving children’s learning outcomes (literacy, Numeracy and life skills) and development through the use of evidence- based approaches.
- Liaise with project leads, Child Safeguarding Officers, and logistics on data collection, ensuring that the SOPs are adhered to and the right tools are used at all times.
- Visit schools for data collection and school profiling.
- Develop, design and implement monitoring and evaluation tools for education programming in close coordination with project leads
- Identify and communicate any issues that are delaying progress in a timely manner.
- Lead the systematic data collection and analysis of program indicators.
- Provide ongoing M&E capacity building as may be required at the school and district levels
- Participate in education-related activities and meetings, and will also seek active collaboration with other players working in the education sector.
- Ensure regular monitoring of project activities in the respective schools and follow up in implementation of planned tasks, activities and agreed actions in the work plans.
- Conduct needs assessment to identify gaps in education sector.
- Ensure that the Education program is implemented in ways that are responsive to communities and children, in line with JRS principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with JRS procedures.
- Hold meetings with stakeholders including schools, local councils and other organizations serving children and community to understand their education priorities, familiarize them with the projects and its objectives and engage them in the process.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Education Supervisor and addressed in a timely manner way.
- A Degree in Education, Social Work, Social Administration, Psychology, Social Sciences or Development Studies.
- A Post graduate Diploma in Project Planning, Management and Evaluation would be an added advantage
Experience and Qualification
- At least three (3) years experience of working with an International NGO with Education skills and monitoring responsibilities.
- Experience in understanding of Community Education and training skills (Training of Trainers) and Non-Formal Education.
- Experience of working with local partners and State and Local Government in Education and Child Protection program delivery.
- Adhere to JRS values and abide by the code of conduct and other policies.
- Demonstrate leadership skills, active listening skills, initiative and personal discipline, etc.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle sensitive information.
- Have good computer skills and mastery of MS Office tools.
- Mastery of English (fluency in spoken and written languages).
- Have a knowledge of a local language preferably Hausa.