National Programme Officer - Northeast Coordination (Terrorism Prevention) at UNODC - The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime
Posted on: 25 July, 2018
Deadline: 2 August, 2018
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at UNODC - The United Nations Office
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime is a United Nations office that was established in 1997 as the Office for Drug Control and Crime Prevention by combining the United Nations International Drug Control Program (UNDCP) and the Crime Prevention and Criminal Justice Division in the United Nations Office at Vienna. It is a member of the United Nations Development Group and was renamed the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime in 2002.
National Programme Officer - Northeast Coordination (Terrorism Prevention)
Job ID: 17282
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Vacancy Type: FTA Local
Posting Type: External
Contract Duration: 1 Year with possibility for extension
- This position is with the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) Country Office Abuja Nigeria (CONIG), and located in the Northeast - Maiduguri Borno State Nigeria.
- Under the overall guidance of the UNODC Representative and the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the National Programme Officer Northeast Coordination (Terrorism Prevention) will: (i) provide substantive and organizational coordination and liaison with relevant authorities and international partners for project activities focused on Northeast Nigeria (ii) Provide substantive input for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities focused on Northeast Nigeria and (iii) provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination.
- S/he will work in close teaming with other colleagues of the project, in CONIG and in the Terrorism Prevention Branch of UNODC, to create synergy and achieve full coordination of project activities and effective project partnerships, especially with the project’s Nigerian stakeholders.
Duties and Responsibilities
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks:
- Provide substantive and organizational coordination and liaison with relevant authorities and international partners for project activities focused on Northeast Nigeria
- Provide substantive input for the planning, preparation, organization and implementation of project activities focused on Northeast Nigeria.
- Conduct research, compile, prepare and edit working documents, draft letters, concept notes, agendas etc. as well as assist in the delivery of project activities.
- Carry out substantive and organizational liaison especially with the project’s national stakeholders based in Northeast Nigeria. Coordinate and liaise regularly on project activities planning and implementation with relevant national partners (including designated focal points and other senior professionals), and international partners present in Northeast Nigeria. Facilitate the smooth and effective flow of communication with national entities, by maintaining regular contact, providing required information, etc. Support the Project Manager and Project Staff in following-up communication with beneficiary institutions, including official letters, request for technical assistance, and the process of identifying participants and national experts, including trainers, for activities under the project.
- Advise the Project Manager and Project Staff of local considerations and realities in Northeast Nigeria for proper and effective project implementation, as well as on ways to strengthen partnerships with beneficiary institutions.
- Provide support for the project’s overall management and coordination. Contribute to the preparation of project activity reports technical briefings, background papers, briefing notes, and speeches related to the project.
- Carry out programmatic and administrative tasks necessary for the achievement of expected results of the project. Provide the necessary substantive and administrative support to project activities as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Professionalism: Demonstrated professional competence in programme management and implementation, ideally with a focus on criminal justice matters;; ability to identify and contribute to the solution of problems/issues. Shows pride in work and in achievements; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Communication: Proven ability to write in a clear and concise manner and to communicate effectively with a range of audiences, including ability to prepare reports and make presentations in a variety of fora; ability to conduct presentations by clearly formulating positions on issues, articulating options concisely, conveying maximum necessary information as well as making and defending recommendations. Possesses excellent drafting and communication skills.
- Client Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity. Works collaboratively with colleagues within and outside of UNODC to achieve organizational goals; solicits inputs by genuinely valuing others ideas and expertise; demonstrates willingness to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Planning & Organizing: Able to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate, and monitor work while prioritizing competing demands; able to work on tight deadlines; knowledge on how to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and projects as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advanced university Degree (Master's Degree) in International Relations, Public or Business Administration, Project Management, Law, Political or Social Science, Criminal Justice, Law or related fields, is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of progressive responsible experience in programme management, policy development, criminal justice or related work.
- Work experience in substantive liaison and coordination in these areas would be an asset.
- Work experience in implementing capacity-building activities in Nigeria is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of UNODC work and work experience in the United Nations System would be an asset.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English (both oral and written) is required; knowledge of the language at the duty station is an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNODC - The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime career website on jobs.partneragencies.net to apply
- Know More About UNODC - The United Nations Office on Drugs and CrimeSimilar Jobs
- Senior Malaria Specialist at Malaria Consortium
- M&E Assistant (SMC) at Malaria Consortium
- Household Economic Strengthening Coordinator, OVC - Nigeria (ICHSSA) at Save The Children
- Programme Officer - Evaluations and Surveys at Sightsavers
- Programme Officer, NTDs at Sightsavers
- Programme Coordinator (MMDP - ASCEND) at Sightsavers
- Programme Assistant at Sightsavers
- Deputy Country Director at Sightsavers