The Nigeria Police Academy came into being on the 15th March, 1988 from two temporary locations (Police College Kaduna, and Police Training School Chalawa, Kano). The Academy was upgraded to a degree awarding institution by the Federal Government in April, 2012. Subsequently, the National Universities Commission (NUC) recognized the Academy as the 37th Federal University and 124th University in the Nigerian university system, the same year. The degree programme started in September, 2013.
The Academy, located at Kilometre 45 Kano - Maiduguri Road was established as a model security training institution, internationally respected for the quality of its training and the excellence of its academic standard. The Academy runs two programmes simultaneously (Academic and Professional Police training) leading to the award of a bachelor’s degree.
Location: Wudil, Kano
The Position and Duties
- The Bursar is a Principal Officer and the head of Bursary Department. Candidates for the post shall be visionary and have the ability to provide good leadership; possess personal integrity and demonstrate transparency in private and public life; and must be able to command the respect and loyalty of staff of the Academy.
- By virtue of his position, the Bursar shall be the Chief Financial Officer of the Academy and shall be responsible to the Commandant for the day-to-day administration and control of the financial affairs of the Academy.
- He should be able to coordinate the development and upgrading of the Academy’s strategic plan and to ensure the development and update of the Academy’s financial management plans. The Bursar should also be able. to coordinate the preparation of periodic income and expenditure, balance sheet and cash flow estimate and consolidation where necessary.
- The holder of the office shall ensure that accurate records are maintained of all assets and liabilities held by the Academy and be able to monitor monthly income and expenditure and balance sheet variance against the budgets, amongst other schedules.
Candidate should possess the following:
- A good honours degree with at least Second Class in Accounting from a recognized university and possession of a higher degree(s) will be an added advantage.
- Must be a qualified member of a professional body such as ICAN, ICCA, ANAN. Fellowship of professional bodies is an added advantage.
- Must have a minimum of fifteen (15) years of cognate experience preferably in a university.
- Must be computer literate with a working knowledge of relevant accounting packages.
- The Bursar shall advice the Academy Management on all the institution’s financial transactions.
- Candidate must have at least 15 years post-qualification experience in management, 10 of which must be in university/other recognized tertiary institutions.
- The applicant should have been at the level of Deputy Bursar in a recognized university/tertiary institution for a minimum of five (5) years. Being a former Bursar is an added advantage.
- Candidate must not be older than 60 years at the time of assumption of duty.
- The applicant should be of good health, sound judgment. pleasant disposition and unassailable integrity.
Tenure and Conditions of Service
The appointment is for a single term of Five (5)years only. Salary and other conditions of service shall be as approved for the Bursars of Federal universities by the Federal Government of Nigeria and as may be modified from time to time by competent authorities.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their applications with twenty (20) typewritten copies of their Curriculum Vitae, giving the details in the following order:
- Full Name with Surname underlined.
- Date and place of Birth
- State of Origin/local Government
- Nationality & how acquired
- Marital Status
- Number & ages of children
- Current Postal Address including telephone number & Email
- Educational Institutions attended with dates
- Academic/professional qualifications obtained with dates
- Membership of Professional Bodies/Associations
- Honours arid Distinctions (If any)
- Academic/Scholarly publications (in standard format)
- Conferences Attended/Papers presented with dates
- Previous Employment(s) and Post(s) held with dates
- Present Employment including status and salary, duties and any other experience.
- A Statement of his/her own vision for the Academy (20 copies)
- Other activities outside current employment
- Name and addresses of three (3) Referees (Employer, Educational and Personal) who are to forward confidential reports on them directly to the Registrar, Nigeria Police Academy Wudil, via the address below.
- Such referees should be able to attest to the candidates’ claims to high academic and managerial capabilities as well as their notable uprightness. Applicants must be ready to support every claim with documentary evidence (where applicable) and bring the originals of all their credentials if invited for interview.
All applications are to be submitted in a sealed envelope and marked "Post of Provost" on the top left hand corner and addressed to:
Nigeria Police Academy Wudil,
Kano Maiduguri Road,
P. M. B. 3474,
P. O. Box 14830,