The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an international medical organization, founded in 2009. ALIMA’s aim is to provide a high standard of healthcare in situations of emergency or medical disaster and to improve the practice of humanitarian medicine by developing innovative projects associated with medical research. The specific feature of the association is to base its operating methods mainly on partnership with national medical players. By pooling and capitalizing on their skills, ALIMA and its partners give as many people as possible access to a high standard of treatment.
Report to: Nursing supervisor
Report to (functional) : Nursing Activities Manager
Project/Location: Lassa Fever Emergency Project, Owo, Ondo State
Provide nursing care, treatment and follow-up of patients, according to doctors’ prescriptions, protocols applied in service and universal hygiene standards/precautions, in order to ensure the quality and continuity of care for the targeted population.
- Know, promote, implement and follow at all times the universal hygiene standards/ precautions, bio-hazard prevention and infection control, security rules and other protocols and procedures in the medical premises and ensure high standards of hygiene of his/her working environment.
- Organize and carry out care and treatments according to medical prescriptions, as well as assist them during consultations/ daily rounds and other medical procedures.
- Ensure patients are properly received and installed in the health service. Ensures that patients with lack of autonomy are assisted, especially regarding their feeding, personal hygiene, movements and comfort.
- Respect medical secret and confidentiality
- Carry-out admission, surveillance and follow-up of patients meaning assessment of their health state evolution, and identification of emergency situation or any deterioration,
- Participate in health education of the patient (and family) when necessary
- Supervise and train nurse-aids, nutritional assistants, cleaners and other related staff under his/her supervision in their work with special focus in following all appropriate protocols and procedures and ensuring team work
- Participate in the department-related pharmacy and medical equipment control and maintenance (carrying out inventories, carrying out stock takes of medicines and material at every team changeover, ensuring no material is taken out of nursing area/wards without prior authorisation, checking its quality and its functioning, storage conditions, doing follow-up of expired drugs, etc.).
- Carry-out and supervise administrative procedures and documents (fill in patients files, forms, consumptions, statistics, etc.), ensure an appropriate written/oral handover, and report any problematic situations and cases that may arise. fill in all necessary registers and health files, participate in data collection and keep doctors/supervisors informed.
- For ER and OPD nurse, ensure triage of patients in waiting areas, wards or during emergencies, detecting the priority acute/emergency cases, carrying out first aid care when necessary and referring them to the doctor.
- If applicable, identify Sexually Gender Based Violence victims and refer them to the medical team, so they can receive the necessary treatment.
- Knows and is aware of the importance and appropriate use of the Post Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP) Kit
- Sends material to be sterilized and recuperates it from sterilization.
Essential recognized nurse degree/diploma. Valid license to practice as a Nurse from the Nursing and Midwifery Council of Nigeria (NMCN)
Desirable 2 years of previous experience and previous experience in other NGO’s.
English language essential. Local language desirable
Results, teamwork, flexibility, commitment, service
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Send in your application by clicking the Apply button below