Girl Effect (GE) builds youth brands and mobile platforms to empower girls to change their lives. We are a creative non-profit empowering girls to change their lives. Started by the Nike Foundation, we are experts in media, mobile, brand and international development: a unique mix of skills that we use to solve global problems in a different way.
We work across the world in places where girls are marginalised and vulnerable. We create for young people in ways they love and interact with. And this is all delivered through the media and mobile tech they use every day – from apps that build skills, to TV dramas that explore vital issues, to magazines written by girls.
Girl Effect Nigeria
In Nigeria, GE operates the TEGA methodology to reach, understand and empower girls. TEGA is a girl-operated mobile-enabled research tool that delivers accurate, rapid insight into girls' lives. When it comes to understanding girls and attitudes to girls in hard to reach communities, conventional research methods may sometimes encounter limitations.
TEGA uses certified data-collection techniques and mobile technology to teach girls aged 18-24 how to collect meaningful, honest data about their world in real-time. TEGA's bespoke research qualification equips girls with employable skills for the future, and it provides us and partners with authentic insights to inform our work.
Presently in Nigeria, we use TEGA for both internal and external research needs. Internally, we use it to gather data that enhances our other programmes and externally, we support like-minded agencies to conduct surveys and evaluations using the methodology. TEGA has been used to conduct research for local and international organizations in the following locations: Borno, Adamawa, Yobe, Kano, Lagos, Edo, Kaduna, and Abuja.
Experts - Nutrition, Wash, Protection, Education, Graphics Design
Context of the role
GEN is looking for experts in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH), Nutrition, Education, Protection, and Graphics Design to support the delivery of research outputs. The expert(s) will work closely with the programme teams on a rolling basis and as may be required from time to time. The expert(s) will be based in Nigeria or globally and could work remotely subject to the demands of each task and this will be communicated promptly on a case by case basis.
Scope and focus
- The scope will cover all research-related projects undertaken by GEN and will be demand-driven.
Deliverables and milestones
- The deliverables and dates will be discussed and finalized during the contract negotiations.
Deliverables for thematic research expertise
- Provide technical expertise on the above mentioned subject matter during agreed phases of the research
- Conduct preliminary research and desk review of relevant documents provided by GEN for the assigned thematic area;
- Support the development of a data collection plan including data collection instruments to be used;
- Support the synthesis of primary and secondary data for the assigned thematic area and other related issues as might be required
- Participate and contribute to the team’s working sessions, including the analysis workshop and presentation of preliminary evaluation findings
- Written updates to the programme team or as may be required- the frequency will be decided during the contracting process
- Presentation of recommendations to the programme team or as may be required
- Contribute to the revision of the draft reports as per comments received from the project stakeholders.
- Support the finalization of reports; incorporating comments from reviews
For Graphic designers:
- Deliverables: Quality design for GEN assignments completed in line with GE brandingrequirements and within specified deadlines.
- Advise GEN on best design options for a given content and multiple versions for consideration.
- Support the design and creation of charts, tables, maps , illustrations and other possible graphic elements for reports.
- Develop infographics based on supplied data to present core messages and organize complex information into visual representation.
Draft milestones (dates to be assigned at the point of contract)
Milestones will be reviewed on a case by case basis as processes evolve and timelines adjusted as required.
- Consultancy contract signed and work commences
- First drafts of the report submitted
- Feedback from Evidence or programme team
- Next draft with feedback incorporated
- Final feedback after reviewing from clients
- The final report shared with Evidence team
Terms of payment
- Services will be delivered on an on-call basis and paid upon successful completion of the assignment and approval from GEN
Who You Are
- The right candidate(s) for the expert position is expected to possess the following qualifications, skills and competencies to be successful:
- Self-starter, highly motivated, responsive, service-oriented with an excellent understanding of subject matter
- Strong analytical skills, including ability to quickly assess a diverse range of information with a discerning sense for quality of data
- Ability to synthesize and translate complex subject matter into comprehensible language for various audiences
- Strong report writing skills; experience writing donor reports e.g. DFID highly desirable
- Postgraduate degree desirable
- A high level of spoken English. Ability to speak Hausa is desirable but not a must.
- Knowledge of collective action, systems strengthening, WASH, Health, Education in emergency (EIE),
- Attention to detail and good organizational skills
- Knowledge of the North Eastern Nigeria context, development issues and challenges; Previous experiences in the conduct of evaluation/studies in Northeastern Nigeria will be considered as an asset. Excellent organisational skills with good attention to detail and follow up on tasks.
- Very good communication skills, assertive and proactive.
- Ability to work on your own initiative when the circumstances arise.
- Commitment to the aims and values of Girl Effect. In particular, a good understanding of Girl Effect’s mandate and child-focus, and the ability to ensure this always underpins the support provided.
What Else You Should Know
- As we continue to scale and grow - we are hugely ambitious for our future and we are looking for people who are driven by this to change the world for girls.
- Our teams are a diverse mix across sectors (non-profit and commercial) and specialisms (from Brand and Creative through to Gender and Insight). You’ll learn and grow in an environment that will challenge you to think and work with a fresh perspective.
- At Girl Effect, you can expect to work somewhere where you will be stretched and developed in your role, a place where you can build your career and work with talented, engaged people committed to our cause to create a lasting impact.
- Shortlisted candidates will be assessed on our organizational values at the interview stage. The successful candidate will be expected to adhere to our safeguarding policy. We encourage candidates to read and understand our safeguarding policy, the executive summary of which can be found here . We have a zero-tolerance policy to all forms of violence against children, beneficiaries and staff.
Method of Application
Applications will comprise resume, cover letter, samples of previous written reports, and copy of previous contract.
All applications should be addressed to the Senior Evidence Manager and sent to the following email address: Nigeria@girleffect.org on or before the closing date of November 22 2019.