Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action - helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future.
Reference Number: MDG/HUMOPS/2019/00075
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Program / Department Summary
- Mercy Corps has been present in Nigeria since December 2012, focusing its interventions on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development and conflict mitigation. In mid-2014 Mercy Corps has decided to address the rising humanitarian needs among displaced households and vulnerable host communities by in the north east Nigeria and started its humanitarian program.
- With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU and ECHO the humanitarian program has been focusing on food assistance, non-food items distribution, protection, livelihoods support, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors.
- All Mercy Corps interventions in Nigeria are implemented in a conflict and gender sensitive manner.
General Position Summary
- The operations assistant will provide support to the Bama office for facilitating and executing different aspects of Administration, logistics and procurement responsibilities
- S/he will work extensively with other departments to ensure that all program support activities are implemented successfully and timely
- He will work with the rest of the operations team to ensure that all activities are done in a timely manner and accurately documented.
Essential Job Functions
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats to undertake procurement responsibilities.
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests and other procurement documentation.
- As and when requested, collects quotations and bids from the market for requests as per Mercy Corps standard policies.
- Make sure that all required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed and filled correctly.
- Maintains and updates procurement files as often as required for easy reference and follow up.
- Assists with payment requests and follows up with status to ensure vendor payment is always done in a timely manner.
Logistics and Assets:
- In coordination with the Operations Officer, ensure that all assets in Bama office are tagged and transferred from one user to the other through proper documentations.
- Participates in regular quarterly assets inventory count and checks at minimum on a quarterly basis
- Assists in the operation of generator, inverter other office equipment as well as monitors the servicing schedule.
- Support in the preparation of monthly assets, inventory report as required
- Maintains appropriate filing systems for office correspondence, ensure proper tracking of office correspondence.
- With support from the Operations officer to ensure that the office is run in a professional and responsible manner including hosting guests, cleaning, receptionist duties and general contact and liaison with outside agencies.
- Ensures office has sufficient office supplies, such as stationary, cleaning supplies, office supplies.
- Makes all necessary travel and lodging arrangements for staffs and visitors, and follow up on documentation as well as prompt payment
- Be the focal person for hotel booking in both Gombe and Bama and ensure all payment is made in a timely manner.
- Carries out other duties as assigned.
- The Operations Assistant will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
- Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
- to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Supervisory Responsibility: Driver, Cleaner, Cook and Security Guards
- Reports Directly to: Operations Manager
- Reports indirectly to: Field Manager
- Works Directly With: MEL, Programs, Finance and Operations
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant Business field is desired
- Minimum 1 year experience in supply chain management; international business or related field.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Good oral and written English skills.
- Good computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel, MS Word
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC's policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
- The position is based in Bama, Borno State and may require travel between field offices in Northeast Nigeria.
Method of Application
Candidates should submit no more than 4 pages CV and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to: email@example.com
- Applicants and residents from Bama LGA of Borno state are encouraged to apply
- All applications must include the position title and Reference Number in the subject line.
- CV and cover letter and should not be more than 4 pages.
- Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.