Deputy Country Director at Sightsavers
Posted on: 16 August, 2019
Deadline: 1 September, 2019
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at Sightsavers
Sightsavers is an international organisation that changes lives for the long term. We work in more than 30 countries to eliminate avoidable blindness and support people with visual impairments to live independently.
Deputy Country Director
Location: Nigeria Country Office - Kaduna
Reports to: Country Director
Responsible for: Snr Programme Mgr A, Country Technical Adviser (NTDs),
Snr Programme Mgr (Eye Health), Country Coordinator, Trachoma
Department: Finance and Performance
Job holder: Vacant
Purpose of the Role
- The Deputy Country Director is responsible mainly for programme implementation and any other operational role assigned by the Country Director and will supervise all programme managers.
- The job holder will provide the overall leadership of Sightsavers programme operations in country including working with implementing partners, to lead and direct the country team to manage and deliver high quality and cost-effective programmes, advocacy with agencies and government, assess programmatic fundraising opportunities and research appropriate baseline data in support of programmatic development.
- Ensure the delivery of the programme activities identified in the country plan in order to achieve the expected outcomes with regard to the Sightsavers strategic plan and in line with national development goals.
- Demonstrate good governance within programme delivery and financial management, ensuring that all systems and controls are in place and followed to allow accurate reporting, cost effectiveness.
- Enforce compliance to meet funding/donor requirements in order to retain and develop grant and partner relationships
- Develop strong relationships with government agencies, donors, international agencies, media and communities to raise the profile of Sightsavers, with the ability to advocate and influence at senior levels.
- Build an effective country programme team focussed on delivery; recruiting high calibre individuals and supporting them with focussed development plans to ensure successful delivery of programme objectives.
- Support the CD to work collaboratively with internal departments globally to contribute to organisation success; review outputs and share learning, identify new opportunities and make recommendations based on changes in the local environment.
- Support to networks both inside and outside the organisation
- Networking and influencing both within and outside the organisation
- Change and improvement – Encourages learning and drives for continuous improvement. Holds people accountable for their performance.
- Communicating and influencing – Demonstrates commitment to the organisations strategic plan and objectives. Able to present complex information in a manner appropriate to a varied audience.
- Decision making – Consults, listens and leads to take clear and timely decisions.
- Planning and organisation – Demonstrates the ability to deal with detail as well as the ‘big picture’. Develops and uses effective plans and monitoring systems to ensure appropriate use of resources
- Delivery and implementation – Acts as a role model for overcoming challenges and delivering against commitments and plans. Maintains consistency and effective performance despite pressures and changes.
- Team working – Builds a strong and committed team in support of the organisation’s strategy. Is supportive of global working whilst having responsibility for team management and to develop a learning culture.
Qualifications and Experience
- Post graduate qualification (or equivalent) in relevant fields related to Sightsavers thematic areas (NTDs, eye health, disability and social inclusion)
- Extensive working experience in an INGO/NGO environment with an experienced background in a senior management position at country level.
- Knowledge of project management, budget development and monitoring, and resource management
- Knowledge of advocacy, research, impact assessment, partnership development and resource mobilisation
- This is not an exhaustive list but an outline of the key responsibilities of the role
Local Terms & Conditions apply
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should download the "Application Form" and "Equal Opportunities Form" by clicking the link below and return as two separate documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org using the "Job title" as the subject of the email.
Click here to Download Application Form (doc)
Click here to Download Equal Opportunities Form (doc)
Click here to for more information
- Recent Jobs from Sightsavers
- View jobs posted the same day by this employer in a single thread »
- Data Officer at Sightsavers
- Programme Assistant at Sightsavers
- Finance Officer (Audit and Compliance) at Sightsavers
- Programme Coordinator (MMDP - ASCEND) at Sightsavers
- Support Services Manager at Sightsavers
- Programme Officer, NTDs at Sightsavers
- Programme Officer - Evaluations and Surveys at Sightsavers