Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), is the world's leading independent international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty in developing countries. Our high impact approach brings people together to share skills, build capabilities, promote international understanding and action to change lives and make the world a fairer place.
National Professional Communications Volunteer
Duration: 6 months (subject to performance)
Partner organisation: VSO Nigeria Programme Office (Nigeria)
Start Date: 3rd December, 2018.
- The position is based in Abuja, FCT and reports directly to the Head of Programs (HoP) with close engagement to the Youth program manager and M&E manager.
- The Communications Volunteer is required to lead in the documentation and design of VSON communications, provide support in the content development and production of the organization's communication materials in liaison with the programs team to ensure effective communication of VSO activities across the State’s.
The successful candidate will be expected to carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- S/he will coordinate collection and distribution of information, knowledge, lessons, case studies and experience of primary actors, stakeholders, implementing partners and donors across implementing State’s.
- S/he will support sharing of project innovations, achievements, and lessons learned through internal and external knowledge sharing and learning mechanisms.
- S/he will collate monthly success stories and quarterly newsletters across programs
- S/he will establish and implement Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and mechanisms for collection and distribution of information, knowledge, experiences, strategies, achievements, and success stories and disseminate lessons generated from the Project’s experience in delivering interventions
- S/he will work closely with programs team to deliver a joint work program, embedding knowledge management activities in core business processes, and capturing synergies between the knowledge management, communications, monitoring and evaluation work streams
- S/he will lead the conceptualizing and developing of high quality technical products and communications materials and ensuring the quality, clarity, and accessibility of project reporting and communication products capturing lessons at the thematic, portfolio and project/programme levels, in coordination and collaboration with the communications and program team.
- Strong skills in the following areas: project and people management skills; information management, communications and reporting, administrative, networking and stakeholder engagement, negotiation and persuasion; planning and organising; verbal and written communication; and organisational learning.
- The post-holder is expected to be results orientated; be a team-player; pro-active and creative; culturally and gender sensitive; a good listener; committed to self-development; and able to make sound judgements under pressure.
- The post holder should have a knack for paying strong attention to details; good time management
Job Requirement (Knowledge/Skills Competencies)
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Mass Communication, Social, Communications, or a related field.
Minimum Working Experience
- Minimal working experience of 2 years in knowledge management, communication, network facilitation or related field
- Experience with market driven inclusive value chains projects.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS office)
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in English Language (Oral and Written)
- Ability to effectively manage a variety of internal and external relationships, including relationships with donors and partners
- Proven ability to work within a team and also be able to work independently
- High degree of accountability and integrity
- Desirable Experience:
- University degree (Masters) in Social, Communications, or related field is desirable
- Experience in handling of web based management system and Web2.0/IT tools for knowledge management
- Experience in working with international NGOs, local civil society organizations, government, bilateral and multilateral donors in a multi-cultural, politically sensitive environment is an advantage.
Method of Application
19th November, 2018.
Interested and qualified? Go to VSO career website on www.vsointernational.org to apply