UNHCR was created in 1950, during the aftermath of the Second World War, to help millions of Europeans who had fled or lost their homes. We had three years to complete our work and then disband. Today, over 65 years later, our organization is still hard at work, protecting and assisting refugees around the world.
Field Safety Associate
Position Number: 2018/VA/069
Location: Ogoja - Cross River State
Category: Field Security
Grade: GS - 6
Duration of Contract: Three Months
Contract Type: Temporary Appointment
Context, Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Head of Field office with technical support from the Senior Field Security Advisor, the following are the core duties and responsibilities:
- Provide assistance to the supervisor in evaluating the level of risk and assessing the existing security measures for the UNHCR staff, operations, premises, partners and persons of concern.
- Conduct regular security assessment missions to the field in coordination with UNDSS/other agencies; assist the supervisor during field missions to gather information and analyse the security situation.
- Be aware of security protocols and procedures in place, especially those comprising Security Risk Management; check for compliance and advise management on any deficiencies.
- Monitor the physical security of UNHCR premises and reports on deficiencies/ requirements for the guard force.
- Assist in efforts to ensure the physical protection and security of refugees and other persons of concern.
- Provide support during implementation of security-related projects.
- Assist in the monitoring, updating and reporting of security-related events.
- Assist in the processing of administrative security issues.
- Perform radio room duties by assisting in the tracking of staff on road mission, conduct periodic radio checks in the absence of radio operator at the duty station
- Supervise and monitor security Guards at UNHCR premises
- Attend to security incidents/accidents that involves UNHCR staff and report accordingly
- Assist the Senior Field Security Advisor in the preparation and update of Staff tracking, Security Warden System and security plans (fire, evacuation, medical etc.) for UNHCR staff and/or at any other location where determined.
- Conduct Security briefing for new Staff as required
- Work in close collaboration with UNHCR security colleagues in the field outside Cross River.
- Any other responsibilities/functions deemed necessary or as delegated by the Head of office and/or the Senior Field Security Advisor
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary education with relevant training and experience in security and safety issues. Military or Police background preferred.
- Minimum of 8 years (6 with advanced training/certificate) of previous relevant job experience.
- Excellent knowledge of English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Ability to work in a team under pressure with minimum supervision; good analytic and training skills, organized and good sense of initiative.
- Be professional, discrete, organized, flexible and available at short notice.
- Good communication skills (written and oral).
- Good knowledge of areas within the field office territory.
Desirable Qualifications & Competencies:
- Good computer skills - (MS Word; MS Excel; MS PPT).
- Excellent knowledge of local security apparatus.
- Sensitive to and good knowledge of the local culture.
- Knowledge of another relevant UN or local languages.
- United Nations experience in the field of security an asset.
- Graduation from Military or Police Academy.
Method of Application
Please be informed that this is a two-step application method for quality assurance reasons.
1. Apply Online:
Interested candidates should apply by clicking HERE to create a profile before applying through the
Field Safety Associate (Best Viewed on Google Chrome)
2. Email Your Application:
a. Kindly prepare an application/letter of motivation, resume as well as fully completed and signed UNHCR Personal History Form (P11)
b. Submit the application, resume and Personal history form (P11) via email to firstname.lastname@example.org quoting in the subject line the vacancy number and title of the position.
The UNHCR personal History form can be downloaded from www.unhcr.org/recruit/p11new.doc.
Kindly make sure you use the UNHCR personal History form.
Kindly note that a written test will be conducted for this position which will be followed by a competency based interview.
THERE IS NO NEED TO SEND OTHER CERTIFICATES WITH THE APPLICATION AT THIS STAGE.
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Kindly note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Applications from female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Interested and qualified? Go to United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) career website on career.unhcr.ng to apply