BBC Media Action was founded in 1999 by the BBC as its international development charity. We apply the editorial standards of the BBC, build on its values and often work closely with the BBC World Service and other BBC departments. However, we are legally and financially independent and work to a distinct mission. Originally known as BBC World Service Trust we changed our name to BBC Media Action in December 2011.
Department: Production & Training
Reports to: Senior Technical Producer
Start Date: Immediate
Type of Contract: Fixed Term
Duration of Contract: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
- The Technical Producer will support studio management and production activities for BBC Media Action in Nigeria towards the delivery of dynamic and distinctive radio, TV and social media programming in accordance with BBC standards.
- Under the supervision of the Senior Technical Producer and the Head of Production and Training, and working with other Technical Producers, take responsibility for a range of sound and video recording and editing needs for BBC Media Action in Nigeria. This may include location recording of radio dramas, field interviews, debates, in-studio recordings, public service announcements, or any other potential output on any platform.
- Be responsible for post-production editing of programmess, sound balancing of programmess for broadcast, and delivery of final versions to deadline.
- Work with relevant teams to plan ahead of production, including recces, equipment prep, logistics, and consideration of health and safety issues from a technical recording perspective.
- Along with the rest of the Technical Producion team, take responsibility for technical safety in the studio and on location, and operate all equipment safely adhering to safety regulations.
- Along with the rest of the Technical Producion team, take responsibility for proper use, care and storage of all recording and editing equipment.
- Keep up with latest recording and editing advances, methods and trends and implement them into your work.
- Assist in completing all relevant pre and post-production paperwork.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Strong experience in recording video and sound for radio, TV and digital, both in-studio and in a variety of outdoor settings.
- Strong experience recording video and sound for radio, TV and digital for different programme formats, including interviews, discussions and drama.
- Strong editing experience in video and sound for radio and/or TV programmes.
- Strong experience working with relevant computer software like Pro-Tools, Logic Pro Audio, Adobe Audition, Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere and After Effects.
- Strong experience in equipment handling/maintenance on location and in studio.
- Hausa language skills would be an advantage.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies:
- Editorial Judgement - Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
- Decision Making - Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
- Planning and Organization - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and Others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Managing relationships and team working - Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed working separately or competitively.
- Developing Others - Able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
- Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the lace of pressure, setbacks or when dealing with provocative situations, Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy.
- Influencing and Persuading - Ability to present sound and well-reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their CV's and Capability Statements to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the position applied for clearly stated as subject of email.
Click here for more information
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.